Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: problem with BOINC and remote accessing

Administrator

Re: problem with BOINC and remote accessing

I think you guys have it right. It is when you try to use Windows built-in remote software because I remember the problem of the GPUs shutting down. If you use a true VNC like TeamViewer or UltraVNC then I don't think there is an issue.

Boy this topic is sure dusting off the old cob webs. My memory isn't what it used to be

When I'm at home (with the computers) I only have 1 machine that has a keyboard, mouse, and monitor on it. The other machines are all controlled with BoincTasks and TeamViewer.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    When I'm at home (with the computers) I only have 1 machine that has a keyboard, mouse, and monitor on it. The other machines are all controlled with BoincTasks and TeamViewer.
    Thats a good point what you can do is use boinctask (think there is another one that does it to if you dont like it) which controls boinc on the other computers over the network. Just install on a pc that doesnt run a gpu project that way when your home you can either turn on or off the gpu project when you want and if your like me and forget when you leave the house can atleast remote to the machine that can control it and turn it off so he can go back to doing what he was doing. I know it can be allot but i would atleast recomend playing with bointask and once you get a feel for it then present him with this idea.

GalaxyIce

I used an app called iTeleport to remote control my kit from an iPhone. Now I've dumped the iPhone and have an android. Does anyone know if there is a good app to remote control from an android mobile? Is there an VNC version for android that works OK does anyone know?

Silver Member

Lightbulb Re: problem with BOINC and remote accessing

Quote Originally Posted by GalaxyIce View Post
    I used an app called iTeleport to remote control my kit from an iPhone. Now I've dumped the iPhone and have an android. Does anyone know if there is a good app to remote control from an android mobile? Is there an VNC version for android that works OK does anyone know?
    Yep, GalaxyIce, again TeamViewer, just surf the website's download section or look in the Android market! Works fine on my HTC Desire (bravo; NOT CDMA) with CyanogenMod 7.10 release!

YMMV of course...

EDIT: I second the BoincTasks thingy, tying in remotely into a stable, perhaps non-GPU host, using TeamViewer or about any other stable remote desktop application and using BoincTasks to control all other hosts in your network. The same can of course be done with BoincManager itself, but that is more complicated in my opinion, as it will not remember the passwords.

For Android there is another fine app: AndroBOINC , just look it up in the market. I am quite sure it can be used to remote control BOINC alone, if and only if you configure your router accordingly to forward the ports you configure in AndroBOINC and use a DynDNS service to cope with the problem of changing IPs.
    Last edited by Christopher Herr; 02-07-12 at 06:21 AM. Reason: Additions
    CH
    "Everything will be great at the end! And if it is not great, it is not yet the end!" "Do not ever strive for perfection! Strive for excellence instead!"
    "Sometimes the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or even a single one!" "Infinite diversity in infinite combinations"

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Herr View Post
    Yep, GalaxyIce, again TeamViewer, just surf the website's download section or look in the Android market! Works fine on my HTC Desire (bravo; NOT CDMA) with CyanogenMod 7.10 release!

YMMV of course...

EDIT: I second the BoincTasks thingy, tying in remotely into a stable, perhaps non-GPU host, using TeamViewer or about any other stable remote desktop application and using BoincTasks to control all other hosts in your network. The same can of course be done with BoincManager itself, but that is more complicated in my opinion, as it will not remember the passwords.

For Android there is another fine app: AndroBOINC , just look it up in the market. I am quite sure it can be used to remote control BOINC alone, if and only if you configure your router accordingly to forward the ports you configure in AndroBOINC and use a DynDNS service to cope with the problem of changing IPs.
    I never had much luck with AndroBOINC, but that might have been operator error. I will say I tried Teamviewer last night and was remoting in within a few minutes, without any Gpu problems, from my Droid Incredible. Thanks for recommending it!

Silver Member

Cool Re: problem with BOINC and remote accessing

Quote Originally Posted by Al McAdams View Post
    I never had much luck with AndroBOINC, but that might have been operator error. I will say I tried Teamviewer last night and was remoting in within a few minutes, without any Gpu problems, from my Droid Incredible. Thanks for recommending it!
    You are welcome, Al McAdams!
    By the way regarding operator error with AndroBOINC, I have not yet gotten what I described to work, but IMHO it has to work. My problem could be I am behind two routers, the first one making the connection to the ISP, the second connecting all my BOINC hosts to the first router and thus to the internet.
    So at the moment and until I get that sorted out, I am just using AndroBOINC for a quick peek from time to time inside my WLAN and using reserved IP addresses.
    CH
    "Everything will be great at the end! And if it is not great, it is not yet the end!" "Do not ever strive for perfection! Strive for excellence instead!"
    "Sometimes the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or even a single one!" "Infinite diversity in infinite combinations"

Gold Member

Thanks all. Hubby does use teamviewer and last night I got him to install boinc manager and connect to WCG. Hopefully things go smoothly from there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12