Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: I7 build

Diamond Member

Re: I7 build

My wife doesn`t like me to have it up or running without her permission also. Mainly if I am excited without her nearby. But when I am up and excited and she arrive by surprise she always put me in the wall. I think your wife is right c303a.

I need to study English again, this is getting very tricky.

Crazy Duke making a lot of confusions.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike029 View Post
    Hmm,, how to hide it from a daughter of Rome? , Yeah, that's it. Lots of flowers.
    Never spoil them with flowers....Just make sure she doesn't see the credit card bill. All done on line and I pay the bills.
    And she doesn't know anything about using a computer.

RETIRED. NO JOB. NO MONEY. NO WORRIES!

Crunched SETI Classic to the end.

SETI@home classic workunits
    SETI@home classic CPU time 86,861 hours

Gold Member

the nice new Asus board arriived. I/O package was open so it was an open box and not new. When I started placing components on it to see how everything fit together I noticed one big glaring item. No way was the sli bridge that I have going to work. The 2 GEN3pci-e slots are a lot closer together and this board did not have a sli bridge. After thinking about it I decided to RMA the board to the egg. I really didn't want the trouble of maybe installing everything and then have a bad board since someone else already seems to have had it. I have ordered a more expensive board and have it coming air so I should have it tomorrow. Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3.This will allow pci-e 3.0 later if I ever get to that point.
    I have to say that I have never had a better customer experience then with the egg. No questions asked. RMA e-mailed and a prepaid UPS label e-mailed. Great servicce.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by c303a View Post
    the nice new Asus board arriived. I/O package was open so it was an open box and not new. When I started placing components on it to see how everything fit together I noticed one big glaring item. No way was the sli bridge that I have going to work. The 2 GEN3pci-e slots are a lot closer together and this board did not have a sli bridge. After thinking about it I decided to RMA the board to the egg. I really didn't want the trouble of maybe installing everything and then have a bad board since someone else already seems to have had it. I have ordered a more expensive board and have it coming air so I should have it tomorrow. Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3.This will allow pci-e 3.0 later if I ever get to that point.
    I have to say that I have never had a better customer experience then with the egg. No questions asked. RMA e-mailed and a prepaid UPS label e-mailed. Great servicce.
    I have to agree there customer service is great but im really getting concerned about this open box stuff the motherboard i ordered also seemed to be open box and now after all the issues with moo and the 6950 the board finally craped out im having to rma my board off so my I7 will be going offline soon.. So what board did you go with im really thinking of just ordering a new one and this time not skimp on it.

Gold Member

I ended up going with the Asus P8Z68-v/gen3. It was a little more then I wanted to spend but I think I can upgrade to better video cards later on. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131792
    The big differeence as far as crossfire and sli on this old board and this one is that this one has a pci-e slot and a pci slot between the pci-e x 16 slots. That give me the ability to run with the sli bridge thta I have and not have to go looking for one for a crossfire rig. I just don't use ATI cards. I am a die-hard NVIDIA person.

The new board is out for delivery. I hope he gets here earlier then he usually does. 4 PM means I will be up till the wee hours again.

Past Administrator

the nice new Asus board arriived. I/O package was open so it was an open box and not new...
    Quote Originally Posted by coronicus View Post
    I have to agree there customer service is great but im really getting concerned about this open box stuff the motherboard i ordered also seemed to be open box and now after all the issues with moo and the 6950 the board finally craped out im having to rma my board off so my I7 will be going offline soon.. So what board did you go with im really thinking of just ordering a new one and this time not skimp on it.
    Are both of you saying you ordered "New" MBs and Newegg sent you open box units or that you knew you ordered open box and Newegg sent you duds?

I ended up going with the Asus P8Z68-v/gen3. It was a little more then I wanted to spend but I think I can upgrade to better video cards later on. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131792
    The big differeence as far as crossfire and sli on this old board and this one is that this one has a pci-e slot and a pci slot between the pci-e x 16 slots. That give me the ability to run with the sli bridge thta I have and not have to go looking for one for a crossfire rig. I just don't use ATI cards. I am a die-hard NVIDIA person.

The new board is out for delivery. I hope he gets here earlier then he usually does. 4 PM means I will be up till the wee hours again.
    Sweet. All is fun in Nerdsville.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

I ordered new and I am pretty sure that it was an open box. When the i/o plate packaging is torn open and the plate is bent a little it is a pretty good indicator that you have received an open box.
    The new board is up and running! I have not installed Boinc yet since I decided to really get reckless and do an absolute clean install. I thought I would start fresh. I had to put a lot of things onto my external drive and then transfer them to the c and d drives. I think I got everything important, if not tough.
    The board installed very easily and booted on the first try. Memory is running at 1921 and cpu is at 3.5+. I have not gone into any ocing yet because I ran out of Thermal paste and the cpu runs very hot with the Intel junk. I am at 60 degrees c. I ordered some from Compusa this afternoon. Hopefully will get it by Monday or Tuesday.
    All I will say about the I7 compared to my Q6600 is WOW. This thing screams.
    OK time to download boinc and see where the temps go. Hopefully I will be able to run the 2 gpu at least and maybe a couple of cores of boinc.

Past Administrator

OK, I just wasn't sure which way you had ordered the MB. Man, that was a real big screw up on Newegg's part. But it had to be a mistake within their shipping & receiving. Newegg knows better than to intentionally shame a customer like that. And I have had just the opposite of your experience. The AMD MB I bought from them was listed as an Open Box. But what they sent was brand spanking new. Even the box was fresh and everything was in sealed factory packaging. Go figure. Well at least your up and running. That next-gen i7 will blow the doors off of my 920. So enjoy.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

I can say that they took care of it in a hurry and I had no hasell returning the board. As long as they have service like that I will order from them again. Make a mistake and clear it up counts big time for me. I under stand making a mistake. I've made alot.

Silver Member

Sweet glad to hear your up and running.. and yes that heatsink for the I7 and I5 K series sucks forgot to say something about it. Im guess they assume most folks would buy new heatsink they should of just not included any with those series imo.. As for the newegg board yes the tape closing the static bag was loose and stuff that comes with the board was all over the place but i figure since it was a cheaper MB it was just cheap packaging from asrock. Once i got it up and running went into the bios to set some tweaks and guess what, it was already setup with some overclocking settings. To top it off been talking to asrock tech for several weeks trying to figure out why i have poping from the sound card aswell as center channel distortion. Had already order the same board for a friend for his I5 the packaging was well organzied and wasnt thrown all over the place and well default bios and the sound worked my luck i guess.. Had made many purchases from newegg without issue so this is the first for me but if i even suspect open box in the future ill send it back asap... So monday i get to send off the motherboard and be without for several weeks unless i order a new board but havent made up my mind since i want an ivy and of course the new Z chipset so might just have to suffer for the mean time..

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast