Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Nvidia GTX 680

Administrator

Re: Nvidia GTX 680

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    LOL! Yeah, and Kim just told me Kat needs new shoes and she'd like to save up $ for a trip...go figure...what timing!
    Seriously, though - I am going to figure out how to swing something new for the rig...either a new CUDA or one of the new AMDs give me about a week or so.
    What I don't know is - this the best time or not? I mean, what are they going to introduce in 2 or 3 weeks? Or...maybe this is it, and we'll be waiting a long time for anything better now. I don't know, but I wish I did.
    I take that as a "no" on the whole Sphinx idea. Wow...Kim & Kat are really putting a damper on things here is NC.

Past Administrator

Ah, here's what I'm talking about. http://www.anandtech.com/show/5699/n...gtx-680-review In this article Anand refers to both a GK110 and a GK114 as "Big Kepler".
    What I want to know (and no one seems to) is, when will these suckers hit the market, and how much $ above the 680 will they be?

Diamond Member

Ah, here's what I'm talking about. http://www.anandtech.com/show/5699/n...gtx-680-review In this article Anand refers to both a GK110 and a GK114 as "Big Kepler".
    What I want to know (and no one seems to) is, when will these suckers hit the market, and how much $ above the 680 will they be?
    Buy a 680 now. Sell it for funds when the better one comes out, in late summer. Waiting is just losing credits every day....
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Platinum Member

I know i know! lol

August, at best. But seriously...those things will murder your electric bill. You're talking 250W - 300W just for the single GPU card....seriously...

BUT! You asked if anything new would appear in the next 2 or 3 weeks. Yes. And some good stuff, i might add. Hold on a sec while i dig up a link...

http://www.evga.com/articles/00669/#GTX680SC overclocked 680s
    http://www.evga.com/articles/00669/#GTX680FTW For The Win editions, overclocked and 1 includes 2x the memory (4GB)
    http://www.evga.com/articles/00669/#GTX680Classified Classified edition - overclocked with 4GB memory
    http://www.evga.com/articles/00669/#GTX680HydroCopper Hydro Copper (overclock, 2GB memory) and Hydro Copper Classified (overclocked with 4GB memory)

*click on the product names to the upper-right of the image for a listing of features and specs for each device

on the AMD side, they may get the 7990 out by then. no guarantees though
    Last edited by John P. Myers; 03-23-12 at 05:03 PM.

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    at PrimeGrid, the PPS and CW Sieves don't require double precision, but the GFN prime search does.
    About 18 mins ago, PrimeGrid proved the GTX 680 to be about 40% slower in double precision than the 580. Good thing i fueled the flames on that one to get it done sooner rather than later. The test was done using the Genefer app's benchmark, not by running a Genefer WU itself, which eliminated any possible variances due to WUs being different lengths.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Goetz
    Assuming that device 0 is the GTX 580 and device 1 is the GTX 680 -- that is BAD news.

The GTX 680 is substantially slower than the GTX 580, presumably due to the crippled floating point performance.

Were both GPUs running at stock clock speeds? (Just to make sure we're comparing apples to apples.)

EDIT: "One small step for a gamer; one giant leap backwards for number crunching."
    A link to the important part of the thread: Primegrid GTX680 vs GTX580 results

Silver Member

For me im waiting for the nvidia to build up stock hopping that amd drops about $20-30 along with some rebate offers then im set but that might be just wishful thinking we will see. I would def give it a a few weeks to see how the market settles..

Administrator

Okay another post from Robert of the Polish National Team:

He said that PG PPS sieve was 44% faster with his new 680 vs 570 BUT look at this on DirT

DirT (N680 | N570):
    mysqlsha1 3:28 2:30
    md5-1 ~30 min 25:48
    md5-2 ~30 min ~22 min

No good...
    Unless they come out with a driver release that cuts loose the 64 bit and floating point math then this card isn't very good for crunching!

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan;
    Unless they come out with a driver release that cuts loose the 64 bit and floating point math then this card isn't very good for crunching!
    But that is not going to happen as it would tempt the commercial market to buy the cheaper consumer units.

Also for what they want for the 680 you could buy two 570s. This gives you two advantages. First, more credits then a single 680. And second, if one card fails you only loose 50% of your production. Compared to losing 100% of production if the 680 fails (And 1st gen tend to fail more often) I'd think its better to go the 570 route.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Platinum Member

Zotac Prepares 2GHz GeForce GTX 680. Yes, Really.

Quote Originally Posted by SoftPedia
    If you think NVIDIA's GeFoce GTX 680 video card is tough, you're right, but that doesn't change the fact that it won't even hold a candle to what Zotac is working on.

According to a QQ report, Zotac has decided to develop a Kepler-based video adapter whose graphics processing unit runs at 2 GHz.

That's right, even though the GeForce GTX 680 already operates at the gargantuan clock speed of 1,006 MHz, Zotac is not satisfied.

In fact, all the specifications of the Kepler product are high, as expected of the so-called strongest single-GPU video controller in the world, but the OEM wants to go above and beyond them anyway.

The company intends to complete the “Godly” GeForce GTX 680 by the middle of next month (April, 2012).

The graphics chip has 1,536 CUDA cores operating at 2,012 MHz, which may or may not have been a deliberate setting on NVIDIA's part to reflect the year of launch. Probably not, but the coincidence is interesting nonetheless.
    Amount of memory, speed of memory are to remain the same. Connections are also expected to stay the same.
    Last edited by John P. Myers; 03-24-12 at 01:22 AM.

Past Administrator

And what kind of premium should one expect for the "godly" edition?

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast