Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New mobo for Cheetah

Past Administrator

New mobo for Cheetah

OK, so I was all set to just run one rig after all this. Then Kat pipes up and reeeeeaaaaaly wants to get Cheetah running again. Well, fair enough. Not like I don't have parts out the wazzoo to make it happen. Just need a motherboard.

So what do you think the odds of a 900 series AM3+ mobo supporting the next rendition of Bulldozer are? I'm not real interested in getting a 1st Gen BD anymore, seeing how I have the X6 CPUs, but never know...they could fix some stuff on it, and the next gen - Piledriver or whatever it's going to be might be decent.

Also, I see ASUS has 5 year warranty on their mobos - very nice, better than Gigabyte's 3...well we'll see what we end up with here.

Platinum Member

Re: New mobo for Cheetah

bleh. A mobo warranty over 2 years is kinda pointless anyway really. If it still works after that, odds are anything that happens to it is your own fault anyway
    Asus is decent though. Go for it.

AMD is known for having their sockets last a bit longer than Intel does, so i'd definitely go with an AM3+. I wouldn't be shocked if they were still making chips for it in 2014

Past Administrator

Alright, thanks for that - will get a 900 series board when the dust settles with my bro's computer here, and I'll be going either Gigabyte or ASUS this time, I'm pretty sure. Just need more than 1 year like I had on that ASRock - what a pity. Was a nice board, too.

Past Admin

I suspect the AsRockīs are failing once you OC on them. My big brothers pc is running on 5 years now. Itīs a AsRock AM2 board. Stock speed and solid as hell.
    Proud member of SETI.USA since 28īth December 2005.

Joined old MB Dec. 28th 2005 - 5837 posts

Past Administrator

You're probably right, Beer. I always had good luck with ASRock before this, and to be fair to them, it was working perfect for me for a year - and I have no way of knowing what might have happened to it to make it crap out like that on my bro.

I'm certain it will be a 900 series AM3+ board that I'm after for Cheetah's rebuild. Now I'm just in the process of deciding whether it will be a relatively cheap 970 based board, or full monty with a 990FX Sabertooth or equivalent Gigabyte offering.
    Seeing how I like to O/C, I'm leaning toward the 990FX. They seem to come with a lot beefier heatsinks.

Past Admin

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Mike029 View Post
    Sweet lineup. Personally I like the Gigabyte boards.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Past Administrator

I do like the Gigabyte as well, but the only thing that gripes me a little is sure, the UD5 has 5 PCI-e x16 slots. But they know darn well you can only use 3 for dual slot GPUs...not like I'll probably ever run more than 3, but still, it's just the principle of how it's laid out.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    I do like the Gigabyte as well, but the only thing that gripes me a little is sure, the UD5 has 5 PCI-e x16 slots. But they know darn well you can only use 3 for dual slot GPUs...not like I'll probably ever run more than 3, but still, it's just the principle of how it's laid out.
    True. But I think the UD3 has the last PCIe slot too close to the edge of the board. So depending on how the system case is setup, it could render that last slot useless for a double-wide card.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    True. But I think the UD3 has the last PCIe slot too close to the edge of the board. So depending on how the system case is setup, it could render that last slot useless for a double-wide card.
    I have that problem with the Sabertooth. You can't get a 2-slot Gpu in the last full size slot because I have a bottom mounted psu. A different case could cure that problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast