Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yeah kill those ads

Silver Member

Yeah kill those ads

Been trying to kill ads and spam crap for a long time and finally found something that works without having to purchase something or install some freeware crap that comes with ads. lmao.. I dont want ads.

http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

finally no more crap poping up on stuff im trying to read.. no more wanna date a christian, really, am i to believe that this isnt spam.

Advisor - Stateside Division

Re: Yeah kill those ads

You do know they help pay for the sites (this one included).

Without the ad revenue I'd likely close down all of my websites (not that it pays the monthly bills by any stretch).

Gold Member

Adblock works quite well in FireFox/WaterFox, can be enabled or disabled for specific sites, and is free
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bok View Post

Without the ad revenue I'd likely close down all of my websites (not that it pays the monthly bills by any stretch).
    Oh, Bok.. this was by no means an attempt against your site in anyway.. The way you got the ads setup its doesnt bother me in any way and wasnt what started me into looking for ad blockers.. The site in particular that actually spawned a search for ad blocking was tomshardware as well as past experience in searching for info on the net.. I dont recall how many times while looking for answers to questions i get lead to sites that have spamware, spyware, trojans and all that evil nasty stuff. Even search engines dont have an option to remove sites from ever being listed in the search and i dont understand why.. I tried something from google but it only hides them. I do have a recomendation for all websites is there anyway you can setup a way were if we donate the ads come off.

Advisor - Stateside Division

I could do that on the stats site, as it's all written from the ground up - as long as you were logged in to the free-dc forum at the time (as that's the only way I'd know who it is browsing). I used to do this for my own user.

But for vBulletin itself, there might be a mod for it, probably is, but I haven't specifically looked for one.

Quote Originally Posted by coronicus View Post
    Oh, Bok.. this was by no means an attempt against your site in anyway.. The way you got the ads setup its doesnt bother me in any way and wasnt what started me into looking for ad blockers.. The site in particular that actually spawned a search for ad blocking was tomshardware as well as past experience in searching for info on the net.. I dont recall how many times while looking for answers to questions i get lead to sites that have spamware, spyware, trojans and all that evil nasty stuff. Even search engines dont have an option to remove sites from ever being listed in the search and i dont understand why.. I tried something from google but it only hides them. I do have a recomendation for all websites is there anyway you can setup a way were if we donate the ads come off.

Gold Member

Flashblock will take care of most of them. Most flash content not at a site such as YouTube is adds. Also, if you really want to view the add, you can click on it to allow it.
    6r39 7r199

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bok View Post

It's not the ads themselves that annoy me. It's just the ones that popup and suddenly cover what you just started reading. I don't see how anyone can click on an ad like that being so disruptive and trying to force you to notice it. The banner ads, like the one at the top of this window right now, is trying to get me open my very own 7-11 store, which isn't allowed here in Arkansas But it's not a popup. Just a banner that sits there innocently. And there's a cute woman in it so i don't mind too much

Diamond Member

I have banner also and the banner has woman also, do you want to see?

Do you want to change banners?

Duke

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Buckingham View Post
    Do you want to change banners?

Duke
    I saw that and was about to install banner blocking software but puked on my keyboard before i could

Gold Member

oh the horror!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast