Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting the PPSieve WUs to run on ATI cards

Gold Member

Re: Getting the PPSieve WUs to run on ATI cards

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowlurker View Post
    It seems that even with the temporary credit increase that the other ATI projects still pay better, for nVidia cards this is the motherload until they adjust the credits again. My pair of 275's was getting about 90k a day on GPUGrid, now getting over 300k a day.
    I have a 9800GT and it got 50K yesterday. The best I could do before that was 20K at dnetc. A former team mate gave me the card. Of course if your ATI is doing better than that, there's no reason to get one unless you have an open slot somewhere. Maybe it will help some team mates to invest if they find out that one of these cheapos can help them that much. It takes me 57 min to complete a task.

EDIT: It's sad when I can read my own post and have trouble figuring out the relevance and what it is I'm trying to say.
    Last edited by trigggl; 12-01-10 at 10:10 PM.
    6r39 7r199

Diamond Member

I finally got it to work! I tried installing 10.10, no good. Then I tried removing all the ATI driver stuff, rebooting, then running driver cleaner, then installing 10.10. All FAIL. Maybe because I had two 5870s? No idea. So I did some more reading on the PG forum. Someone suggested 10.11 APP (there are two versions, get the APP one). Ding! Crunching away!

Edit: Some credit comparisons. Numbers are credits/hour:

Win 7 Dual 5870:
    DNETC - 24784 (single task uses both GPUs)
    PG - 14050 (7025 per card); 57% of DNETC

XP64 single 5870:
    DNETC - 13539
    PG - 8031; 59% of DNETC

XP46 single 4870
    DNETC - 4515
    PG - 3172*; 70% of DNETC
    *Only one task returned at the time

So it looks like there is less of a loss in credits with the 4870 than with the 5870. But either way, it is a drop compared to DNETC.

Still, this is going to be SWEET for the next challenge!
    Last edited by zombie67; 12-01-10 at 11:30 PM.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Teratoma

Has anyone tried running both ATI and CPU tasks? I would like to run othe subprojects on the CPU and PPS Sieve on the GPU. Just wondering if it would work. The only problem would be keeping the app_info up to date every time a cpu app gets updated.

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Teratoma View Post
    Has anyone tried running both ATI and CPU tasks? I would like to run othe subprojects on the CPU and PPS Sieve on the GPU. Just wondering if it would work. The only problem would be keeping the app_info up to date every time a cpu app gets updated.
    I have not, but that's one of my projects. I'll post when I get it done.

thepossum1

I will be back to read this--got new lappy and have it on Primegrid. It says it has ATI Radeon graphics, so.........

Groundhog@SETI.USA

I've been reading this thread and the one on BOINC GPU compatibility and have not had any luck getting my ATI HD 4650 card to work. I've tried it on Collatz and PG using 10.10, 10.11, the regular driver and the APP driver. I also tried the steps listed in post one of this thread. Not sure what to do next.

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Groundhog@SETI.USA View Post
    I've been reading this thread and the one on BOINC GPU compatibility and have not had any luck getting my ATI HD 4650 card to work. I've tried it on Collatz and PG using 10.10, 10.11, the regular driver and the APP driver. I also tried the steps listed in post one of this thread. Not sure what to do next.
    Since I can't find it on short notice, can you point to the thread where you're discussing this? What error messages are you seeing?

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Groundhog@SETI.USA View Post
    Sorry to hear that GH. I have had issues trying to get my 4850 to crunch Collatz in that I had a hard time getting work form the project server. Sometimes it would take HOURS before I would get anything.
    Anyhow, try crunching DNETC with your card since it is not a finicky project. If you can crunch that then you should be able to crunch PG & Collatz.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

When I set my 5870 up to crunch PG it did not immediately start downloading units, but I was no longer getting error messages so I just left it overnight and at some point it started grabbing WU's.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowlurker View Post
    When I set my 5870 up to crunch PG it did not immediately start downloading units, but I was no longer getting error messages so I just left it overnight and at some point it started grabbing WU's.
    Ahhh. I see you've discovered some of the problems with the BOINC scheduler. Sneaky little devils to find and fix. From the latest posts to the boinc email lists, you will be sorry to hear that they still aren't fixed in the most recent 6.12.x version. As they make the BOINC scheduler "smarter" it makes more and more mistakes and makes it more difficult to find and fix the problems. Some people will never admit that K.I.S.S. works.
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast