Thread: AMD no longer allowing "Unofficial" OC with Catalyst 12.2 and above.

Past Administrator

AMD no longer allowing "Unofficial" OC with Catalyst 12.2 and above.

After installing Cat 12.3 I could not get MSI Afterburner to work when Unofficial OC'ing was enabled. Thought it was a bad install of Catalyst. After mucking around for 5 hours installing/uninstalling stuff I went over to Guru3D's site hunting for an answer. And I found one ---> [GUIDE] Enable unofficial overclocking after Catalyst 12.2. Unfortunately for Afterburner users the author, Alexey Nicolaychuk aka Unwinder, will soon be removing Unofficial OC support (Link). probably with the release of Beta 16. I can confirm you can get Afterburner 2.2.0 Beta 15 to work with Catalyst 12.3 using the suggestion in the very first post in that "Guide" thread, if yo can get the DLLs mentioned in it. I cannot add those files to the forum as I would be breaking the law, like I posted here and we cannot have the forum admin doing that.

Anyhoot, if anyone has any questions or needs additional assistance please post in this thread or PM me.

F$

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Diamond Member

Re: AMD no longer allowing "Unofficial" OC with Catalyst 12.2 and above.

I am not sure I understand. I have 12.3 installed, and was able to OC my 7970 to 1125 using CCC. Are you talking about something different?
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    I am not sure I understand. I have 12.3 installed, and was able to OC my 7970 to 1125 using CCC. Are you talking about something different?
    Correct, I am talking about the Unoffical OC'ing. That is OC past CCC limits. Example: The ATI/AMD official max GPU OC for the HD 5830 is 875Mhz which is set in the cards BIOS. Prior to Catalyst 12.2, using MSI Afterburner or other OC tools you could OC the 5830 past its BIOS limit to 950Mhz. By removing those DDLs mentioned previously, AMD has removed that functionality from all OC tools.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Platinum Member

Doesn't apply to underclocking, at least with the GPU Ram. I've got it set at 700MHz, which is 300 under what's set in CCC.

Past Administrator

Question Re: AMD no longer allowing "Unofficial" OC with Catalyst 12.2 and above.

OK there is help for anyone that is using Afterburner in "Unofficial Overclocking Mode" and either has Catalyst 12.2/12.3 or is about to upgrade to either from 12.1 or earlier.

Note: These files only work on 64 bit versions of Windows XP/Vista/Win7.

For those who are upgrading: CCC_Save.txt (Rename to .bat after DL'ing it - forum doesn't allow UL'ing .bat files)

Before upgrading run the batch file to save the required files to a folder on your XP/Vista/Win7 desktop. Install the new version of Catalyst and then run the batch file again to install the required files for Afterburner.

For those that already have Catalyst 12.2/12.3 installed: AB Fixer (Link)

Save the file (A WinRaR compressed self-extracting file) to your desktop and double-click to run. As the file is password protected and encrypted you will get an input prompt, so you will need to enter $ABz! (exactly as shown) and click the OK button. The file will then create a folder on your desktop with the included files and automatically run the batch file. The batch file includes prompts so you can see what is going on. Alternatively you can open the file manually with WinRaR to extract the files.

I know this works as I have tested both on XP Pro and Win7.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Past Administrator

Update:

Apparently Unwinder was allowed by MSI & AMD to incorporate a workaround for the DLL files that AMD removed from Cat 12.2+. As an added bonus this has been rolled into MSI Afterburner 2.2.0 Final Edition!!! And since the next gen AMD cards are also supported in the final edition, "Unofficial Overclocking" will be available to use for some time to come.

You can download MSI Afterburner 2.2.0 Final from Guru3d (Here) or MSI (Here)

Happy Overclocking

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    Update:

Apparently Unwinder was allowed by MSI & AMD to incorporate a workaround for the DLL files that AMD removed from Cat 12.2+. As an added bonus this has been rolled into MSI Afterburner 2.2.0 Final Edition!!! And since the next gen AMD cards are also supported in the final edition, "Unofficial Overclocking" will be available to use for some time...
    AWESOME news! Thanks for the good update.