Thread: Moo How-To Basic

Past Administrator

Moo How-To Basic

The following was originally posted by coronicus
    (with minor edits)
    -----------------------------------------------------

This is just info i copied with some minor editing from a few thread so please help me out in editing or correcting any of the info below so we can get an admin to sticky this somewhere.. I know moo gave me a terrible headache trying to figure out and all this info would have made things so much easier. Also if i forgot to give anyone credit for the info please say something so it can be included.

MOO info

1. Unless something has changed you WILL need a dummy plug on ATI/AMD cards that do not have a monitor attached.
    Did you "extend" the desktop to the 2nd card so it would be found by Windows?
    Crossfire removes the need for a dummy plug on the 2nd card as the cards are then technically one unit.

2. Moo uses ALL ATI GPUs so you will only show 1 task running in BOINC.
    running (??cpu + 2 ATI GPUs)

3. The time reported in the task listing on the Moo project may or may not be accurate when running multiple GPUs. Click on the left column of a pending or valid wu (opens the wu std err file) and look at the START time and the STOP time and the difference is the actual time it took to do the wu. Your reported time MIGHT be double what this says. The wu has the correct time.

4. When you have Moo running, check the GPU loading using something like GPU-Z or MSI Afterburner you should see 95%+ loading on both cards.

5. when multiple GPU's are present. BOINC may only use the faster one. In the <options> section of your cc_config.xml file you can add:
    <use_all_gpus>1</use_all_gpus>

6. On a single GPU you need to reserve a thread for Moo. On a dual GPU you need to reserve a FULL CPU CORE [Note 1].

7. Are you running your wu on "core 0" [Note 2]. On all my ATIs systems it is MUCH MUCH better to run on "Core 3". You set that in project preferences. You can run a benchmark that will show you how it will perform on each of your cores. Then use that to select the correct "core" in preferences.
    1. Stop BOINC
    2. Call up the command prompt
    3. Type in the path name of the executable "dnetcxxx-win32-x86-stream.exe -bench" (xxx = the current app version the project is using)
    So it will be something like C:\program data\boinc\project\moowrap.net\dnetc.... .exe -bench
    4. Hit enter

The benchmark will run and show you the speed of each core on your processor (relative only to Moo). In Project Preferences that is the one you want to use. Makes a BIG BIG BIG difference in credits.

Most of the credit goes to bryan for this information and also those in the following threads
    http://www.setiusa.us/showthread.php?2591-Dual-5870-s
    http://www.setiusa.us/showthread.php?1760-Moo-Runtimes

Notes
    1) In BOINC Manager you can specify (as a percentage) what portion of your CPU resources (CPU Cores) to allow BOINC CPU applications to use. This includes the "Virtual Cores" that Intel's Hyper Threading (HT) provides. However, BOINC cannot distinguish a CPU's physical core from a virtual core or thread. To BOINC they are one in the same. The setting for CPU resources can be found under Main Menu > Preferences > Processor Usage tab > On multiprocessor systems, use at most [__] % of the processors.

Example: BOINC will see an Intel quad core w/HT as 8 CPUs. Setting CPU resources to 75% will only allow 6 of these "CPUs" to be used by BOINC CPU based apps. One exception to this is FreeHal as it is a non CPU intensive app (When the NCI app is selected in user preferences on the FreeHal website)

2) The Moo Core is a reference to one of four algorithms available to the Moo app.
    Last edited by Fire$torm; 04-15-12 at 03:26 PM.