Thread: since upgrading to 7.0.25

Gold Member

since upgrading to 7.0.25

I upgraded boinc manager to 7.0.25(x64)
    since then I can't get any rosetta or SETI tasks
    I've reset the projects. The event log just says:

Not reporting or requesting tasks
    Scheduler request request completed.
    Sometimes it says temporarily failed download of (somename).png. on Seti, but just the above two lines on Rosetta.

I can get subsetSum tasks so it's not like I get none.
    But I suspend all projects except Rosetta and SETI and hit update and still it doesn't get any new tasks. Both under server status say they have tasks available.
    Any ideas?

Diamond Member

Re: since upgrading to 7.0.25

Quote Originally Posted by artemis8 View Post
    I upgraded boinc manager to 7.0.25(x64)
    since then I can't get any rosetta or SETI tasks
    I've reset the projects. The event log just says:

Not reporting or requesting tasks
    Scheduler request request completed.
    Sometimes it says temporarily failed download of (somename).png. on Seti, but just the above two lines on Rosetta.

I can get subsetSum tasks so it's not like I get none.
    But I suspend all projects except Rosetta and SETI and hit update and still it doesn't get any new tasks. Both under server status say they have tasks available.
    Any ideas?
    What happens when you set all other CPU tasks to SUSPEND? Will it pull down rosetta tasks then?
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    What happens when you set all other CPU tasks to SUSPEND? Will it pull down rosetta tasks then?
    When I suspend all other cpu tasks it still gets nothing. Looks like wcg might be doing the same thing

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by artemis8 View Post
    When I suspend all other cpu tasks it still gets nothing. Looks like wcg might be doing the same thing
    Hmmm...I remember having a problem like this on some project a while back. Did you actually remove the project, and then re-attach to it? You might actually have to remove the project, then reboot your rig, and then re-attach to the project on the fresh boot. This will cause it to try downloading that file it got stuck on last time. Worth a shot.

Past Administrator

The (somename).png thing is a support file for S@H but if all those files are not DL'd the project will not send you work.

Not sure about the Rosetta. I'm running it now with 7.0.25. Try shutting down BOINC, Go to the BOINC Data/project folder and delete the setiathome.berkeley.edu and boinc.bakerlab.org_rosetta folders then reboot and see what messages the projects give you.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Diamond Member

Just to be sure....So you have these set?

Activity -> Run always
    Activity -> Network activity always available

If either are set to Suspend, nothing will happen while you are sitting at your machine watching it.

Gold Member

As of BOINC 7.x, they did away with short and long term debts and switched to using hysteresis. I'm pretty sure the reason was that the algorithm was a lot more complicated and we all know K.I.S.S. is the opposite of what DA does. That and everyone thinks they sound smarter when they say "hysteresis" compared to "short term debt". You can check out some of the algorithms here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hystere..._of_hysteresis

In order to become a "recommended" version, most bugs have been fixed. Note that flaws in the design don't count as bugs but are considered differences of opinion and will never be fixed, so what is "broke" for some may be by design and never get fixed. It usually takes about 40-60 builds to get the new features working properly after a major release. 7.0.25 means only build 25 so far. Therefore, I don't trust it and won't run it unless I own a AMD 79xx card and need to run OpenCL. I don't, so I won't.
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    Just to be sure....So you have these set?

Activity -> Run always
    Activity -> Network activity always available

If either are set to Suspend, nothing will happen while you are sitting at your machine watching it.
    Activity is fine, and other cpu projects are running, just not getting tasks from Rosetta, SETI, or WCG. I have removed and reattached rosetta and seti to no avail. I hit update and it makes the request, gets nothing and then communication deferred (4 minutes on rosetta, and 5 minutes on SETI).

Diamond Member

Do you have any local settings which might be messing things up?

Tools -> Computing Preferences -> Clear

After doing that, try suspending all projects except one (say Rosetta). And then leave it alone for 30 minutes.

Also, add these to your cc_config.xml. It will help provide more detail on what is being asked for by your client, and what the project is responding with.:

Code:
    <cc_config> 
    	<log_flags> 
    		<sched_ops>1</sched_ops> 
    		<sched_op_debug>1</sched_op_debug>
    	</log_flags> 
    </cc_config>

Gold Member

Thanks for the suggestions, after I get home from work I'll try some more things and let you all know. I appreciate it!
    At least it's not idle, it's still crunching SAT@home, for the moment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast