Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: since upgrading to 7.0.25

Gold Member

Re: since upgrading to 7.0.25

The following are all from the boinc mailling lists today:

One of the downsides of scheduling the cache is that except for maybe the CPDN, single threaded jobs projected hours seem to spread across all cores, so work fetch freezes when there's a big one.
    I'm continuing to see this on a regular basis with v7.0.26. If you look at http://setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu/beta...p?hostid=50707, any task 'sent' between say 01:00 and 06:00 UTC will have been a scheduler request while networking was suspended - so it's happened for the last six consecutive nights. (it's also happened during the daytime as well, but less frequently).

Looking at the bugs which have come to light since I reported this, I would imagine there will be pressure to promote the 'next release' to recommended as quickly as possible.

So, Rom, would it be possible to drop me a client build (Win64) so I can investigate this in parallel, while the other issues are being worked on?
    I had a host that I upgraded to 7.0.25, had it set to cache 0 and 10.
    2 core cpu, so it ran down to last 2 work units, when it finished one of them and uploaded/ reported it then it requested more work, cool that is the way it should work if I read right.
    the remaining work unit was a very long running RNA, 300 plus hours, and it was running H.P. status, about 8 days left to go. when it got work it download 9 YAFU workunits.
    now yafu workunits are of the (MT) type with a 2 day deadline. that host did not stop running the RNA work unit, one core stayed busy and let the other core just set there doing nothing.
    the 9 yafu workunits hit deadline, boinc aborted them having hit deadline and not started, cool. now the fun part, when it reported the 9 completed aborted/missed deadline/not started back to the yafu server boinc requested more work from yafu, and got 9 more yafu workunits, 2 day deadline. and the same thing. yafu workunits expired, aborted, reported, got 9 more, loop.
    stopped it after the 3rd time. I'm just letting you know, that I saw this.
    if this does not go here please move it. thanks.
    While you may know more by setting the debug flags, they are just a diagnostic tool and it sounds to me like you aren't the only one still having problems. I'll say this again: If you don't need 7.x.x, you may want to downgrade to a stable 6.12.x or earlier version. If, like zombie67, you want to be the first to reach 100K etc. on every project, you just might need the latest versions for certain projects and will need to keep track of the issues and how to diagnose and fix the problems. The vast majority of us just want stability and that NEVER happens with the first version of a major release. EVER. Think about it. It took 25 tries (7.0.25 means 25 builds and bug fixes of version 7.0) just to get a version reasonably stable to release and it was released knowing there were still issues that would "be fixed in the next version".

So, lets consider what changed in 7.0.x:
    I don't like having to hunt for the event log instead of having it on a tab (or was this a 6.12 change also?). I liked being able to zero the debts since I really don't care about the past time spent on projects. I don't like the cache changes for the scheduler and how the same fields now mean different things in different versions. I don't like the high priority changes and how it switches between multiple high priority tasks and then never completes any of them - or how it marks a task as high priority when it is 50% complete, has 4 hours remaining and 4 days until the deadline. I don't like how OpenCL support was added as a sub-type of AMD or nVidia rather than as a separate processor type because OpenCL on CPU (real easy way to create mt tasks) won't work and the scheduler has to do double the work (first check CAL and then check OpenCL and then decide which to use). I don't like how GPU tasks are killed vs suspended. I could care less about the basic screen changes. Yep, it will be version 9.0 before they either get all those things fixed or convince the majority that it works as designed even though the design is flawed.
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Gold Member

I rolled back, got plenty of rosetta tasks and the seti uploader/downloader is now down so that's why I can't get any from there. I'll just stick with tried and true for a while.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by artemis8 View Post
    I rolled back, got plenty of rosetta tasks and the seti uploader/downloader is now down so that's why I can't get any from there. I'll just stick with tried and true for a while.
    Hate you went through so much trouble but thank you for sharing.. I was on the fence about upgrading but at this point i will be staying on 6.xx for now...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12