Thread: Neurona: Temporary increase of limit to two WU at a time

Diamond Member

Neurona: Temporary increase of limit to two WU at a time

FYI. You will need at least 4gb to get work. Each tasks takes about 2.5gb, so you really should have at least 5gb to cover these two tasks, plus whatever you need for the other tasks & OS.

http://falua.cesfelipesegundo.com/Ne...read.php?id=62

Gentlemen,

the outcome of the hosts seem to be now stable on aprox. 24000 results per day. After requested and discussed with Mr. Zombi67 and Mr. Tex1954, I'm going to increase the limit of WUs to two. This means that hosts with only 4GB RAM but more than one core will probably have to make some adjustments in its BOINC client or they are going to run out of memory as the actual memory usage of the WUs is of about 2.5 GB.

This will be maintained for a while to check how the productivity improves and make some conclusions. As usual, I'll keep you informed of the results.

This change will be effective tomorrow at 17:00 CET.

Regards,

Javier.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Gold Member

Re: Neurona: Temporary increase of limit to two WU at a time

Yippee! Now you can tie up 5GB RAM on your machine for a lousy 1.5 credits every 6 minutes or so. I can get 4.1 times the credit on DiRT with those same two cores and it uses 1,000 times less RAM (3Mb vs 3Gb). In my opinion, this is a great example of why creditNew is seriously flawed because of the way it bases everything on FLOPS. RAM needs to count also. I guess if you are looking to complete a MM goal, having 2 WUs is good news since you can get to your goal twice as fast. The same goes for those into neuro networks. For everyone else, maybe not.
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Diamond Member

Re: Neurona: Temporary increase of limit to two WU at a time

Agreed on CreditNew. Completely flawed, trying to achieve an impossible goal.

And yes, MMs are *my* goal.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne