Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I see a major problem on Free-DC

Gold Member

I see a major problem on Free-DC

I'm looking at the team stats on Free-DC for Primegrid and I noticed something that bothers me and should be fixable. It looks like very few people are using their GPU there. There's gotta be more people with cuda there than that. We need a way to inform all these team mates that they're missing out on the feast.

Can we send an email? Do we have the ability to use the primegrid team email list? How about the list we send the request for the challenges out? I think we're missing an opportunity here.

Sorry Bok if I mislead you with the title.

EDIT: Both S.G and Sic are majorly out pacing us here.
    Last edited by trigggl; 11-27-10 at 01:40 AM.
    6r39 7r199

Past Administrator

Re: I see a major problem on Free-DC

Quote Originally Posted by trigggl View Post
    I'm looking at the team stats on Free-DC for Primegrid and I noticed something that bothers me and should be fixable. It looks like very few people are using their GPU there. There's gotta be more people with cuda there than that. We need a way to inform all these team mates that they're missing out on the feast.

Can we send an email? Do we have the ability to use the primegrid team email list? How about the list we send the request for the challenges out? I think we're missing an opportunity here.

Sorry Bok if I mislead you with the title.

EDIT: Both S.G and Sic are majorly out pacing us here.
    I think that is a great idea. And it might be a good idea to do something like a monthly mailing, short and sweet, listing 4 or 5 short term objectives and/or challenges? This could be used in lieu of the Team Newsletter.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Past Admin

This pretty well summarizes up the real problem on this team...

1. Only a "small" group attends these boards and thereby get the lastest info. For eksample on how to use your GPU.

2. We have no certified and proven method to contact new members - so we can attract them here. I see new members on a daily basis joining this team crunching on CPU only....

If we can find a way to reach out...We have a hidden potential unlike no other team....We got millions of possible CS rigth sitting rigth there!!!
    Proud member of SETI.USA since 28īth December 2005.

Joined old MB Dec. 28th 2005 - 5837 posts

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Beerdrinker View Post
    This pretty well summarizes up the real problem on this team...

1. Only a "small" group attends these boards and thereby get the lastest info. For eksample on how to use your GPU.

2. We have no certified and proven method to contact new members - so we can attract them here. I see new members on a daily basis joining this team crunching on CPU only....

If we can find a way to reach out...We have a hidden potential unlike no other team....We got millions of possible CS rigth sitting rigth there!!!
    We could use my mailing idea and add links to information on increasing production with a suitable GPU, overclocking, etc... Or we could do a separate mailing, maybe three or four times a year, with that info. I think it would also be "member friendly" to add an opt-out link in the mailing for those who wish not to be bothered.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Past Administrator

I believe the way to do this is to tell them right when they join. We need to change the wording of the few paragraphs they see when our team name comes up, right before they hit the "join this team" button.
    I think you know which page I'm talking about.
    It needs to have:
    1. A line of purpose
    2. A line of thought
    3. A call to action

Short, simple, and clearly define that we have goals, we welcome their help toward those goals, we crunch both CPU and GPU prjects (I guarantee some people out there don't even know what a GPU is, so it's got to educate them). We need to stress that they join up here on the boards.
    When all is said and done, they should feel just as compelled to click a link to join the boards and our community as they do to clink the "join this team" button.

Past Administrator

Roger that O' Captain, my Captain.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Past Admin

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    I believe the way to do this is to tell them right when they join. We need to change the wording of the few paragraphs they see when our team name comes up, right before they hit the "join this team" button.
    I think you know which page I'm talking about.
    It needs to have:
    1. A line of purpose
    2. A line of thought
    3. A call to action

Short, simple, and clearly define that we have goals, we welcome their help toward those goals, we crunch both CPU and GPU prjects (I guarantee some people out there don't even know what a GPU is, so it's got to educate them). We need to stress that they join up here on the boards.
    When all is said and done, they should feel just as compelled to click a link to join the boards and our community as they do to clink the "join this team" button.
    I agree on this. So who writes the new welcome email?
    Proud member of SETI.USA since 28īth December 2005.

Joined old MB Dec. 28th 2005 - 5837 posts

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Beerdrinker View Post
    I agree on this. So who writes the new welcome email?
    May I presume to say "Whomever gets to it first"? I'm not sure if you are aware (I hate to presume...) that there is a debate on the forum here that is ties into.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    May I presume to say "Whomever gets to it first"? I'm not sure if you are aware (I hate to presume...) that there is a debate on the forum here that is ties into.
    We could just keep it informative and not a "please do this". Something like.

"To anyone who crunches Primegrid and has an nVidia GPU, we would like to inform you that there is an app for PPS(sieve) that is very productive for CUDA cards. This is the sub-project for the next challenge, so please take a moment to check it out."

Hopefully, that would fulfill the intent of being informative without putting pressure on anyone.
    6r39 7r199

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by trigggl View Post
    We could just keep it informative and not a "please do this". Something like.

"To anyone who crunches Primegrid and has an nVidia GPU, we would like to inform you that there is an app for PPS(sieve) that is very productive for CUDA cards. This is the sub-project for the next challenge, so please take a moment to check it out."

Hopefully, that would fulfill the intent of being informative without putting pressure on anyone.
    I like the way you worded that. You have my vote!

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast