Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: BOINC Tasks - finding other computers on network?

Diamond Member

Re: BOINC Tasks - finding other computers on network?

Blah, blah, blah, security, blah, etc. If you are behind a modern router, you're fine.

Back on topic, DrPop, let me guess how it feels to see all your tasks in one manager...KING DICK! Holy crap! Why has no one told me about this before?! THIS is how it's done!! You can so easily se where there are issues that need attention without checking on each machine one at a time. Oh, and be sure to expand on the colors. I use (say) vivid green for running tasks, medium green for waiting tasks, and light green for unstarted tasks. A similar scheme but blue, for GPU tasks. And bright red for suspended, and eror tasks. Now you actually control your BOINC world.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Past Administrator

It is pretty cool to see all the computers' tasks from one rig, that's for sure! This thing ought to come bundled with the BOINC download!

I like the idea of the color scheme, that sounds very useful. Now we just need an Android and iOS apps that tie into it so we can check out how things are running when away... I suppose if you wanted to get crazy you could do a log-me-in session from the Central rig running BOINC Tasks.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    I like the idea of the color scheme, that sounds very useful. Now we just need an Android and iOS apps that tie into it so we can check out how things are running when away... I suppose if you wanted to get crazy you could do a log-me-in session from the Central rig running BOINC Tasks.
    That's exactly what I did when I set my systems from Memphis, except I prefer TeamViewer....Al

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    It is pretty cool to see all the computers' tasks from one rig, that's for sure! This thing ought to come bundled with the BOINC download!

Umm, have you checked out the "WWW" option on BoincTasks? You can set up your machine running BoincTasks to listen for a web connection and display what BoincTasks would normally be displaying on the local computer. It won't let you control your hosts, but it will let you see the status...

Silver Member

About time you tried out boinctasks... Think im going blue in the face screaming at folks to use it Even wrote a guide omg thats like a miracle for me

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    OK, just be aware that the allow_remote_gui_rpc will open up the client to any machine that can find it. So it is a potential security risk especially since BOINC uses the RPC communication protocol. RPC is horribly insecure ---> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc751166.aspx
    BOINC doesn't actually use Microsoft's RPC calls. Instead, it uses a TCP connection on port 31416 and send/receives XML. The data is not encrypted. Some BOINC info can be accessed without authentication but commands that change preferences, join or detach from projects etc. require authentication. The password is hashed prior to authenticating and the hash is not reusable from one connection to the next.

However, if you open port 31416 to the Internet, someone could do a brute force attack and eventually guess your password since BOINC does not lock anything down after a given number of invalid login attempts.
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Slicker View Post
    BOINC doesn't actually use Microsoft's RPC calls. Instead, it uses a TCP connection on port 31416 and send/receives XML. The data is not encrypted. Some BOINC info can be accessed without authentication but commands that change preferences, join or detach from projects etc. require authentication. The password is hashed prior to authenticating and the hash is not reusable from one connection to the next.

However, if you open port 31416 to the Internet, someone could do a brute force attack and eventually guess your password since BOINC does not lock anything down after a given number of invalid login attempts.
    Really? I'm a little surprised as any docs I've read about BOINC communications says it does. Or is that on the localhost?

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

Thank you so much. Now I can control all three computers from one now too

Administrator

All my computers show up in BoincTasks. Is there a way to get VM's on those computers to show up in BoincTasks? If there is I'm missing something. Remote_Hosts.cfg - Done! Gui_rpc_auth.cfg - Done! A little help here?

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Al McAdams View Post
    All my computers show up in BoincTasks. Is there a way to get VM's on those computers to show up in BoincTasks? If there is I'm missing something. Remote_Hosts.cfg - Done! Gui_rpc_auth.cfg - Done! A little help here?
    Well, for starters, it's going to depend on the "Network Mode" you select for the Guests. By default, VirtualBox is going to set you up as "NAT" which means the guest can talk *out* but aren't visible as an independent host from the outside looking in. You need to be in "Bridged Adapter" mode for the guests to each get their own DHCP'd (or statically assigned) address. At which point, BOINCTasks from some other machine will be able to talk directly to your guests like you want.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast