Thread: NVIDIA GTX 690 dual GPU Card Announced

Past Administrator

NVIDIA GTX 690 dual GPU Card Announced

http://m.tomshardware.com/reviews/ge...k104,3188.html

Wonder if it will be crippled for crunching like the GTX 680 is, or if it will actually be a sweet card for us crunchers? Time will tell. Oh, and AMD better get their booties moving to counter this one!

Edit: Did anyone check the $1K price tag? *ahem* "what? You want fries with that?" LOL! Slicker is right. Someday we'll be buying a computer to fit our GPU(s). Oh, wait...some of us already do!
    Last edited by DrPop; 04-29-12 at 12:05 PM.

Silver Member

Re: NVIDIA GTX 690 dual GPU Card Announced

I would drool but the price tag dried my mouth up.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainkarl1 View Post
    I would drool but the price tag dried my mouth up.
    You're not kidding! Well, it's just 2 GTX 680s stuck together, so it's probably not going to be good for us crunchers. Gaming, sure - but crunching not so great.

I've heard the scuttlebutt is the next good card us crunchers want from Nvidia is coming in late summer - maybe September and will be "Big Keppler", a larger chip with much higher compute performance. So, until then, I think the sweet spot for us crunchers is GTX 570, GTX 590, and the new AMD cards - like the 7970, and future dual 7990 when it comes out. Also, don't turn up a good price on an older 5870 or 6990 - those were the best two crunching cards from the older generations.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    You're not kidding! Well, it's just 2 GTX 680s stuck together, so it's probably not going to be good for us crunchers. Gaming, sure - but crunching not so great.

I've heard the scuttlebutt is the next good card us crunchers want from Nvidia is coming in late summer - maybe September and will be "Big Keppler", a larger chip with much higher compute performance. So, until then, I think the sweet spot for us crunchers is GTX 570, GTX 590, and the new AMD cards - like the 7970, and future dual 7990 when it comes out. Also, don't turn up a good price on an older 5870 or 6990 - those were the best two crunching cards from the older generations.
    Why the 570 as opposed to the 580?

Isn't the 590 a power hog?

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainkarl1 View Post
    Why the 570 as opposed to the 580?

Isn't the 590 a power hog?
    Reasoning: this is all about the sweet spot in credits / $. On the CUDA side - The 580 really wasn't that much faster for crunching than the 570, and it cost a whole lot more. If you were going to go above the 570, better to just bite the bullet and go all the way to 590. Sure, the 590 is a bit of a hog like you say, but it's a DUAL GPU card - you can O/C it and get virtually the same credits as 2 GTX 570s.

On the ATI/AMD side: Anything below the 58xx series does not get the "bonus credits" (as I call it) on DNET, Moo!, etc. A 4870 is still a decent card to crunch with, but it will not get any higher on say Moo! than it will on MW, so for the watts you're burning, if you can afford 58xx and up, go for it! Way more credits per watt.
    The 5870 is THE sweet spot for credits / $, even now. Look at the used prices on Ebay, etc - you can't beat what it can give you per day for the same money spent on any other card. The exception might be one of the newer 7970s or something on DiRT or a special deal like that where it's pulling down insane numbers. No card in the 6000 series beat the 5870 for crunching, with the exception of the DUAL GPU 6990 - that one is a gem. It's like having 2 5870s, but it cost more than 2 5870s, so only get one if you get a good deal on it, or if you're out of PCI-e slots and need to upgrade. I cannot recommend any other ATI/AMD card in the 6000 series for their cost, they will not beat the 5870.

The new 7000 series on the other hand, is proving to be quite competitive. Very nice for us crunchers! The cost per credit is coming in line much closer with what the 5870 was -- the 7970 cost way more, but delivers way more, so it's getting there. The 5870 is still the absolute best in terms of credits / $ if you want good RAC on a low budget, but if one wanted max credits / watt, the new king is the 7970.
    This is why I'm itching to see what AMD's new dual GPU card (7990) will be like. Hopefully the price is competitive, and they do not down clock anything from the 7970. It will be a beast of a cruncher - literally the best ever, and with the way nVidia cut down the crunching ability of their new GTX 680 and 690, it will literally smoke a GTX 690 for credits per day. Let's see it before we get too ahead of ourselves, though.

OK, hope that was not TMI, and glad to help.

Silver Member

Love the information Dr. it will sure help me with my next purchase.

Thanks!

Past Administrator

Just further confirmation when I came across this graph today - this is a rough idea of computing performance on these cards with a benchmarked "scene" the GPU must compute:

GPU compute.jpg

We don't want to go near the GTX 680 or GTX 690 with a ten foot pole for crunching. Rather the AMD 7000 series, A GTX 570 - 590 from nVidia if you must have a CUDA, or wait for "Big Kepler" in late summer from nVidia if it shows up on time.
    Last edited by DrPop; 05-08-12 at 11:24 AM.

Platinum Member

"Big Kepler" will be garbage too. The 500 series has double precision crippled by 75%. I got $20 says the "Big Kepler" will be crippled by 87.5%. As for SP, sure, it'll faster than a 680, but this speed increase will also be directly proportional to the increase in power draw. It is the same architecture afterall. AMD GPUs are the way to go, and most likely will be for many, many years to come.

Diamond Member

What is 7970 CF?
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    What is 7970 CF?
    Unfortunately right now, that is two 7970s running in crossfire. However, that will be the theoretical performance of the 7990 dual GPU card when AMD officially announces it; as long as they don't have to cut anything down much for power consumption. If it meets expectations...the 7990 is going to be a cruncher's dream card.
    Edit: just read what JPM said about "big Keppler" - he's right of course, nVidia probably will cripple it too just to protect its crazy over priced "pro CAD" line of GPUs.
    The chart does help explain how a 7970 gets 1.2 / day in DiRT, though. It is doing a LOT of number crunching. On the right kind of application...the GFLOPS boggle the mind!
    Last edited by DrPop; 05-08-12 at 11:28 AM.