GPU: 9800GT

http://milkyway.cs.rpi.edu/milkyway/...?userid=138203
    GPU: GT230M

All new guys at MW on our team.

Here is one from our SETI team:

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/hosts...userid=9372831
    GPU: GTX 470

You want more?
    I skipped the GT230M since the "M" means mobile and laptops may overheat when crunching with their GPUs (although I do with mine) but I did contact the others.

Maybe we should skip the "new users" thread on this board and send out a private message to each new user to their user account on the project in which they joined the team (e.g. if a user joins PG, we send him a message using the PG message board). While a little more time consuming, the personal invite to our boards here may create more active (and credit whoring) members.
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Advisor - Stateside Division

Re: Team Objectives

It's a BOINC wide team correct? Can't you change the team name there and it would propagate to all the active projects?

Whilst not a member of the team as such, I'd have to agree that the optimal solution would be to drop the SETI part of the teamname.

I'd be happy to adjust all the older projects data at Free-DC, replacing the teamname, much like I do with CPID for people who ask. I'm sure Willy might do the same at Boincstats.

But I'd consider it very carefully first before you do anything.. I would also perhaps run it past the BOINC dev list or one of the other lists there and garner their opinions.

Bok

Quote Originally Posted by Bok View Post
    ...But I'd consider it very carefully first before you do anything...
    +1

Gold Member

There's going to be a 1000+ members thoroughly confused.
    6r39 7r199

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slicker View Post
    Nice catch. I sent him a PM with some suggestions on how to eliminate the errors as well as how to use his CUDA cards.
    I sent him a message letting him know that he needed to downgrade his nvidia driver to 256.xx. Driver 260 is what's cause wu's to crash (on cuda).

I guess we need to be scanning the new members thread for untapped GPU users.
    Last edited by trigggl; 11-29-10 at 05:50 PM.
    6r39 7r199

Advisor - Stateside Division

I do capture and store the coproc data from the xml stats, I could easily do a query to pull this. I display it on the individual host page like here for instance.

I could put it in other places too..

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bok View Post
    I do capture and store the coproc data from the xml stats, I could easily do a query to pull this. I display it on the individual host page like here for instance.

I could put it in other places too..
    You are the man! (I assume you're a man)
    6r39 7r199

BlkJack-21

Quote Originally Posted by DrBob View Post
    +1

+2

I am completely against a team name change. How quickly ppl forget it is the "SETI" in SETI.USA that brought us to the top. And to drop the "SETI"...well there already is a team USA so it would conjure up more confusion.

A name modification will not solve or alleviate the issues we face.

The problem that always seems to resurface is what is our goal(s) as a team? And at least until recent years, our success was originally measured by # of cobblestones. First it was to be #1 for SETI, then to be #1 for BOINC Combined. Done and Done!!!

Now that I play a more "outside" role...it seems to be clearer that the problems first occured when the decision to get as many top positions in as many projects possible. DD hit the nail on the head in another post as to what previously made us successful. Looking back I think that it also became the instable base that has lead us to our current failure. Do people remember our "QMC" battle followed by RCN intertwined with ABC and MW? See the trend? There were some that had vocalized that by achieving numerous #1s that those projects would need to be defended..spreading our resources thin.

I remember speaking w/someone privately that once we beat P3DN @ QMC I didn't feel the same of our accomplishment as others achieved previously. I didn't know exactly why at the time, but looking back it seems that trying to achieve this accomplishment created tension amongst our membership which resulted in the multiple schools of thought of our team goal(s).

The "crunch what you want" philosophy was developed and maintained early in the life of our team. However the desire to be #1 goes completely against this philosopy. In order to be #1 ppl would have to drop their preferred projects and participate in the highest paying projects.

Recruitment and effective team communication are 2 key components to our future success. We need to not concern ourselves with how many top positions we have or need to defend...

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlkJack-21 View Post
    +2

I am completely against a team name change. How quickly ppl forget it is the "SETI" in SETI.USA that brought us to the top. And to drop the "SETI"...well there already is a team USA so it would conjure up more confusion.

A name modification will not solve or alleviate the issues we face.

The problem that always seems to resurface is what is our goal(s) as a team? And at least until recent years, our success was originally measured by # of cobblestones. First it was to be #1 for SETI, then to be #1 for BOINC Combined. Done and Done!!!

Now that I play a more "outside" role...it seems to be clearer that the problems first occured when the decision to get as many top positions in as many projects possible. DD hit the nail on the head in another post as to what previously made us successful. Looking back I think that it also became the instable base that has lead us to our current failure. Do people remember our "QMC" battle followed by RCN intertwined with ABC and MW? See the trend? There were some that had vocalized that by achieving numerous #1s that those projects would need to be defended..spreading our resources thin.

I remember speaking w/someone privately that once we beat P3DN @ QMC I didn't feel the same of our accomplishment as others achieved previously. I didn't know exactly why at the time, but looking back it seems that trying to achieve this accomplishment created tension amongst our membership which resulted in the multiple schools of thought of our team goal(s).

The "crunch what you want" philosophy was developed and maintained early in the life of our team. However the desire to be #1 goes completely against this philosopy. In order to be #1 ppl would have to drop their preferred projects and participate in the highest paying projects.

Recruitment and effective team communication are 2 key components to our future success. We need to not concern ourselves with how many top positions we have or need to defend...

The name change Idea for me was to simply try and unite the USA teams into one. Some might be reluctant to do so because of the SETI in front thats all I meant with that. I completely understand that Seti @ home and SETI.USA is was started this team .. so I see your point completely.

I think Communication would be the biggest thing possible for rallying troops for races and other odds and ends, or even Quarterly newsletters with info about the team and whats going on in the world of crunching etc etc.

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    Obviously we are getting thrashed, and it ticks me off. There is NO way we should just lay down and take this. Where is the collective #1 attitude that made the USA such a great place to begin with? Arrrrrrgggghhhh! The situation is the same in the country as it is on the team!
    How many people actively read this forum again? Something like 150? If all ~150 of us changed to aqua/dnetc/PG, would it be enough to make a difference with our position for #1 in total credit? Probably not. The ATI crunchers among us are probably crunching DNETC or MW anyway. So I don't think it is really a matter of laying down and taking it. We just can't compete with the team as it is today. We need either more people, or we need to get a lot of the current people to change their crunching activities.

There has been talk about mass email, and the technical problems. That would not be as much a problem if we just got most of them to have accounts here. At a minimum, a member-wide PM could be sent.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast