Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Objectives

Gold Member

Re: Team Objectives

Quote Originally Posted by Slicker View Post
    Nice catch. I sent him a PM with some suggestions on how to eliminate the errors as well as how to use his CUDA cards.
    He got his linux box going.
    6r39 7r199

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlkJack-21 View Post
    +2
    I am completely against a team name change. How quickly ppl forget it is the "SETI" in SETI.USA that brought us to the top. And to drop the "SETI"...well there already is a team USA so it would conjure up more confusion.

A name modification will not solve or alleviate the issues we face.
    +3 There are several teams still running around with SETI in their name, one of them is #2. Maybe we should have a subtitle that says "We're not just SETI anymore"?

Again a lot is being said here but the thread gets too involved and doesn't reach a conclusion to act upon or to use as guidance for the quiet visitors that come here for leadership. I'm not going to help on that front here right now because I just feel like rambling right now cause it's easier. Maybe a sub-committee to pull the best stuff in some recent posts together?

Spot comments:
    While single focus objectives have worked in the past and probably could going forward, I'll admit I'm still niavely optomistic that this team can be multi-faceted and members can voluntarily join forces with others that share their particular objectives for crunching.

I don't think the team has given up on the goal of #1 in RAC and total credit. That's the real brass ring here in BOINC-land. We just happen not to be #1 for awhile now or likely will be in the next few months but I think that can change. For instance if we stopped losing people who think we gave up on that goal we wouldn't be as far from getting it back. Several people have added GPU's over the last few months and our RAC has grown by 9 million over the last few months. Additionally, our PG numbers seem to be up 4 million over over the average RAC the last few days. So staying close will make it easier to get it back (catch-up again) later. In the meantime, there are some other #1 measures we can maintain that promotes/advertises SUSA and keeps us the top USA team in the world.

We can still be a force when we pull together as is evident in the PG challenge series this year. And it is fun to screw with people/teams.

Things do change over time. The people/teams that survive adjust and make do with what they have while adapting to the changes and building back up in the environment they now find themselves in. We will adapt and survive too. Sometimes I think of this rebuilding going on now as SETI.USA V2 (the next generation or the next 10(0) billion).

And that next generation is GPU. But realize every PC has a CPU but not every PC has a GPU. We'll take what we can get, get what we can and utilize the non-GPU's where we can like crunching science for the smaller projects,

Saying communication is a problem is one thing but actually doing something about it is something else. You need people with time to spend on it (recruiting) and fact of the matter is this is just a hobby for most.

Enough rambling for now. Off to ZZZ-land.

thepossum1

My 2¢ also says OMG no name changing unless it could be to add something like SETI.USA.(rewind) or the like. If we change the name, to me, it's like saying all that came before the recent changes doesn't mean squat.

What got us moving in the first place was Project coming up with the goal of challenging SG for #1 Seti. SG had traditionally held that position but he saw that if we all came together, we could do it. They laughed at us--called us a "goldfish in a sea of sharks". Well, we showed them, got the last laugh. Much as I hate to admit it, looks like we're back in that same position--David taking on Goliath. We CAN do it though if we all pull in the same direction.

The consolidating of other USA teams will always be difficult since who wants to start their stats over at zero? Plus lose their identity in the process? We might attract a few members from a team, but never a wholesale merge--unless, as mentioned elsewhere, there was a way to let them keep their old team name as part of the new name they crunch with. I don't know, I wouldn't do it if it was me.

We've never been able to get more than the core group active on the MB. That one is a toughy. Yes, it really helps get people fired up to do more, but I don't know how to keep them here other than make it informative and fun. We're doing that I think. I know I got freaked out when I tried coming back to the MB last time--it was in the middle of the growing pains--I had no idea what was going on & couldn't deal with it at the time. I suspect some of the others who aren't here felt the same. Yes, we need to adapt to the changing BOINC scene to thrive, but it felt so harsh back then. Felt like a stranger on my own team so to speak. BUT I never left the team. Goonies never say die
    I still don't say die--I say MORE MORE MORE and let's get to it!!

Past Admin

New member at PG with Ati 57xx GPU:

http://www.primegrid.com/show_user.php?userid=75010
    Proud member of SETI.USA since 28´th December 2005.

Joined old MB Dec. 28th 2005 - 5837 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Beerdrinker View Post
    New member at PG with Ati 57xx GPU:

http://www.primegrid.com/show_user.php?userid=75010
    He apparently has PMs disabled, I see no linky.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by thepossum1 View Post
    We've never been able to get more than the core group active on the MB. That one is a toughy.
    When I moved into the area, I went to one church for 6 consecutive weeks and never had one person so much as say hello. I went to another that was twice as far away and within the first 10 minutes had four separate people not only say hello but actually carry on conversations. I never stepped foot in that first church again. If it works for churches....

I suggest we have one person per project who's job it is to personally welcome via PM on that project's MB each new member and encourage them to reach out for assistance or to just stop by and say hi on our team's MB. The larger projects may need a couple people. The goal would be within 24 hours to offer a personal one-to-one greeting. If you get a response, make a friendship request as a followup. My guess is that a little personal contact will get people to get more involved. I believe the movement stats are available on Free-DC on a project by project or team basis so it shouldn't take too much time.
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Past Administrator

That's a very good place to start. Which projects do you think we should target first?
    And I'm glad to see some folks come out and say they're all for us making #1 in BOINC again. I fully believe it can be done.

BlkJack-21

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    That's a very good place to start. Which projects do you think we should target first?
    And I'm glad to see some folks come out and say they're all for us making #1 in BOINC again. I fully believe it can be done.
    It is a good idea...let ppl know that we are here.

If the decision is made to welcome new members, the best choice is SETI. It is the one project that we get the most new daily members...more than all other projects combined.

And if we let ppl know that there are other projects out there...other forms of science, mathematics, and projects with GPU apps etc...it is likely that others would join up on other projects and harness those that have these GPUS and not using them.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlkJack-21 View Post
    If the decision is made to welcome new members, the best choice is SETI. It is the one project that we get the most new daily members...more than all other projects combined.
    Sounds like a good reason to keep SETI in the name.

I think the key is getting people to the board. Once they're active here, they will be educated in no time flat. You can't help but be productive after spending any amount of time here.

I think friendly invites would go a long way towards getting new team members active and help them feel more like they're on a team rather than just have a title next to their name. I know I felt a little awkward coming to the board the first time.
    6r39 7r199

thepossum1

Well, this is kind of OT here, but we seem to keep going back to it--what's the deal with GPUs? I've been looking at laptops ( and desktops) and have been trying to figure out what you need to crunch on GPU.

I have gathered that it's the video card--Googled and read a few threads but don't know what you have to DO to get it to crunch.
    Saw a few options I might buy as far as ATI Radeon, Nvidia--same thing, yes? Like a gaming computer would stand the best chance of having the right GPU thing, yes? Some rigs had dual, quad and one even had 6 cores--that's CPU, yes? If you have more cores, more WUs get done at a time, but this GPU thing is better if you had to choose? Or can you do both at the same time? Are there only certain projects that run on the GPU? Do you just join that project, d/l WUs and it takes over? Remember, I need idiot proof. I am planning a purchase of SOMEthng within a few days. I have to buy off the rack because I am only up to changing out fans & cleaning dustbunnies, can't fiddle with the meat & potatoes of it.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast