Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Team Objectives

Gold Member

Re: Team Objectives

Quote Originally Posted by thepossum1 View Post
    Well, this is kind of OT here, but we seem to keep going back to it--what's the deal with GPUs? I've been looking at laptops ( and desktops) and have been trying to figure out what you need to crunch on GPU.

I have gathered that it's the video card--Googled and read a few threads but don't know what you have to DO to get it to crunch.
    Saw a few options I might buy as far as ATI Radeon, Nvidia--same thing, yes? Like a gaming computer would stand the best chance of having the right GPU thing, yes? Some rigs had dual, quad and one even had 6 cores--that's CPU, yes? If you have more cores, more WUs get done at a time, but this GPU thing is better if you had to choose? Or can you do both at the same time? Are there only certain projects that run on the GPU? Do you just join that project, d/l WUs and it takes over? Remember, I need idiot proof. I am planning a purchase of SOMEthng within a few days. I have to buy off the rack because I am only up to changing out fans & cleaning dustbunnies, can't fiddle with the meat & potatoes of it.
    This probably the simplest, but not necessarily the best way. Buy a high end nVidia card after confirming it has CUDA ability. Install it. Attach to a project that has cuda apps. Make sure your preferences allow GPU. It will crunch (for the most part) independent of the CPU.

ATI may be better, but it's a little more complicated.

IMO.

PS. Make sure the nvidia driver gets installed. Get it from nVidia not MS.

Is there a FAQ anywhere?
    6r39 7r199

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by trigggl View Post
    Is there a FAQ anywhere?
    Not yet but I did volunteer to put one together though I haven't gotten any feedback in the FAQ Group. I can have a draft ready later today after I take my uncle to his doctor appointments. (Lots of those lately )

Quote Originally Posted by thepossum1 View Post
    Remember, I need idiot proof. I am planning a purchase of SOMEthng within a few days. I have to buy off the rack because I am only up to changing out fans & cleaning dustbunnies, can't fiddle with the meat & potatoes of it.
    If I recall your preference was for a laptop or are you also considering a desktop? Just keep in mind that laptops are harder to keep cool and harder to clean out the heatsinks inside them.
    Last edited by Fire$torm; 12-02-10 at 10:18 AM.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

thepossum1

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post

If I recall your preference was for a laptop or are you also considering a desktop? Just keep in mind that laptops are harder to keep cool and harder to clean out the heatsinks inside them.
    I WANT a laptop, but am considering replacing this POS desktop--I'm running WIN2Kpro here Don't even think I want to think about opening/cleaning a laptop. Was planning on a chill pad for it--mostly it's so I can sit on the couch instead of being holed up in the bedroom where the desk is. I will talk to the guys who built this ancient thing and see if there is a way I can just upgrade what I have desktop-wise--if the price isn't better, I'll go all new desktop. Just want to be sure that the bucks will be worthwhile as far as crunching goes--got my priorities straight lol oh and I hate to give up my LEDs--love those case mods hahahahahaha
    Almost got sucked in by an Alienware my son saw---but who's got THAT kind of money???? Well, he *might* get one, but can't swing 2---will have to make the condition that he HAS to run BOINC or I don't buy it for him muahahahaha

Thanks for the info guys

Past Administrator

Hmmm...well, to be honest, $ for $, a desktop is going to smoke a laptop in points per day, mainly because of the GPU (graphics card) capability. I'm not doubting your technological prowess but please consider running specs of any rig you're looking at by us - that way you're sure to maximize your $$$.
    As an aside - you could always set BOINC to run on your son's computer only "when not in use" and he would never even see a difference in performance (disable the screensaver, of course!)
    Best of luck, it's a hard decision, I understand that. There's no way we could talk your son through building one from Newegg.com parts, is there? How old is he? Mechanically inclined at all? You would save a bundle compared to an Alienware type rig and we could hook you up with loads of point generating power!
    Just something to consider; I wouldn't mind sitting on the phone for a few hours with you or him, walking him through it - it's simple enough once you've done it!

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    I wouldn't mind sitting on the phone for a few hours with you or him, walking him through it - it's simple enough once you've done it!
    Doc! Time to join the 21st Century vi sa vi Video Conferencing/Collaborating. And for tech problems after the build there is always remote desktop

Just thought I'd throw that out there. (I'll have to remember to duck if you mistake my throw for a clay pigeon..... )

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Past Administrator

Hahaha! Good call there, Mate! Hmmm...I suppose I could get with the program. [Pulls out sextant and slide rule, checks charts of Orion and the Big Dipper; scans sky for elevation of Venus and Polaris] *scratches head* 5,000 calculations later...so much...planetary progression...I seem to have lost all track of time! Is it nearly 2011 for real?

Alright, scratch that Possum - I'll video conference with your son on Skype or something (have to use my wife's lappy for that because it has built-in web cam) if he wants to try his hand at a build. It's a lot of fun, and would give a sense of accomplishment, too.

Past Administrator

For anyone interested I have started working on the "BOINC Compatible GPU List" using Google Docs.
    If wish to view it go here. Please realize that this is just the beginning. I will be adding the newer cards later along with driver info, links, etc.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Platinum Member

@F$: If you get that into HTML format (ideally separated by Nvidia and ATI), I'll get that in the FAQ. If you have an alternative suggestion, I'm down with that, too...

Past Administrator

Roger on the HTML.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Past Administrator

Here is the list in HTML. Let me know if the colors are too gaudy.
    BOINC Compatible GPU List.zip

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast