Thread: I am getting frustrated!!!

Past Admin

I am getting frustrated!!!

My Linux won't play!!

BOINC: 7.0.24

I've DL both the 7.0.25 and the 6.12.34 as .sh files. But anyway I try I can't get it to install either one...!!

I can add 4 cores if we can get this to work...
    Proud member of SETI.USA since 28īth December 2005.

Joined old MB Dec. 28th 2005 - 5837 posts

Past Administrator

Re: I am getting frustrated!!!

Beer go (Here) and follow the instructions in the second section titled "Installing BOINC on Ubuntu"

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Past Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    Beer go (Here) and follow the instructions in the second section titled "Installing BOINC on Ubuntu"
    This lead to install of 7.0.24 which is giving me computational errors within seconds.
    Proud member of SETI.USA since 28īth December 2005.

Joined old MB Dec. 28th 2005 - 5837 posts

Past Administrator

Crud! OK, I'm not sure why you are getting errors. The only link I found for 7.0.24 on 12.04LTS, (Link) goes to SETI@Home which is down for maintenance.

If you want to remove what you have installed, use the Synaptic Package Manager.
    Goto Main Menu > System > Administrator > Synaptic Package Manager and in the search box type BOINC. Right click the following and select "Mark for Removal"

boinc "Metapackage for the BOINC client and manager"

boinc-manager "GUI to control and moniter the BOINC core client"

boinc-client "core client for the BOINC distributed computing infrastructure"

I am not knowledgeable on installing .sh files. The BOINC website states the following about .sh file installations (Link)

The Berkeley Installer

The Berkeley Installer is available directly from the BOINC project. The disadvantages to using the Berkeley installer are:

* installs BOINC in a way that fails to take advantage of Linux security features.
    * the BOINC binaries use more memory than they really need to because several shared libraries are statically linked.
    * does not install BOINC as a daemon (service) though you can modify the installation to run as a daemon using instructions below.

The Berkeley Installer for Linux is a self-extracting archive. This type of installation requires that you be familiar with the UNIX command-line interface. The download files have names like boinc_6.2.14_i686-pc-linux-gnu.sh. After downloading the file, you'll need to be in the directory where you download the archive to unpack it.
    Maybe trigggl, BOK or one of the other Linux Gurus can help

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Silver Member

HMM! I never had an issue with it installing the .sh files, but are you in a directory that you(the user) can write to. The .sh file do not install in the same location nor the same way as the binary packages you get from synaptic.

As the example shows installing into a folder on your ubuntu system Desktop, then running the 'start' scripts from that folder.

Of course I also never pursued getting all the missing libraries and such that were missing last time I tried using the .sh files.
    BOINC Sees it - BOINC DOES it!

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beerdrinker View Post
    This lead to install of 7.0.24 which is giving me computational errors within seconds.
    Not sure what to say. But I downloaded and installed 12.04 Desktop X64 last week and got 7.0.27 from the boinc.berkeley.edu/dl to install without a second thought. Just a single dependency that wasn't in the "package." Just needed to add the libXssl package.

http://qah.uni-muenster.de/show_host...?hostid=208151
    http://qah.uni-muenster.de/results.p...ames=0&state=3

Let me get to the office where I have my standard build script so I can cut and paste the other steps I take that may have mattered.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    Maybe trigggl, BOK or one of the other Linux Gurus can help
    Yeah, I'm afraid I wouldn't be much help. I can point you to the Gentoo Handbook. That's pretty much where all my recent Linux experience is at. (unless you count the mail server)
    6r39 7r199