Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Donate never ending jobs

Gold Member

Donate never ending jobs

Been having a problem with Donate and never ending wus, that I eventually have to abort (they run for hours). I captured a picture of it and wanted to post a picture to the donate@home forum. I didn't see a way to upload it, but looks like I can link to a picture. I thought I would try loading it here and link to it from there, sorry if that frowned on. Note the GPU usage and and progress on the Wu being pointed too.

Attachment 884

This is the Donate Forum thread if you are interested:

http://donateathome.org/forum_thread.php?id=105&sort=5

Platinum Member

Re: Donate never ending jobs

I haven't run into that problem in quite a while. I used to, but since I've run 12.3, nothing has hung...

Gold Member

I have tried zydor's suggested app_info.xml and moved Boinc setting for cpu % to 88% (remove 1 of 8 cpus from boinc) and so far it seems to be helping. It will need to run for awhile to know for sure. The effect of these changes is only 4 of the 8 cpus on each machine is used by cpu projects, cutting each machine CPU output in half. On the plus side, I am producing more Donate wus per hour (2 7970s went from 4 wus in 21 minutes to 4 in 19 minutes). Bad for CPU challenges, good for RAC and Donate. If it stays stable without hangs, I will try moving it back to 100%.

Zydor's app_info.xml which is placed in the projects folder contain's - (with these changes, each GPU will do 2 wus at a time at a higher GPU usage with an overall time savings).
    <app_info>
    <app>
    <name>test</name>
    </app>
    <file_info>
    <name>test615.exe</name>
    <executable/>
    </file_info>
    <app_version>
    <app_name>test</app_name>
    <version_num>615</version_num>
    <avg_ncpus>0.9</avg_ncpus>
    <max_ncpus>1</max_ncpus>
    <plan_class>ati14ati</plan_class>
    <coproc>
    <type>ATI</type>
    <count>0.5</count>
    </coproc>
    <file_ref>
    <file_name>test615.exe</file_name>
    <main_program/>
    </file_ref>
    </app_version>
    </app_info>

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by EmSti View Post
    Been having a problem with Donate and never ending wus, that I eventually have to abort (they run for hours). I captured a picture of it and wanted to post a picture to the donate@home forum. I didn't see a way to upload it, but looks like I can link to a picture. I thought I would try loading it here and link to it from there, sorry if that frowned on. Note the GPU usage and and progress on the Wu being pointed too.

This is the Donate Forum thread if you are interested:

http://donateathome.org/forum_thread.php?id=105&sort=5
    Yup, I started that forum thread that you linked in March. I haven't gone back because the admins haven't fixed the issue and I like others don't want to babysit our machines. It would be cool if it works for you Emsti. For me, I'm just going to wait until the fix is in.

Past Administrator

Hmmm...don't the 7970s actually get more credit per day on DiRT? Just wondering, because I don't own one...(yet???) Fry's has them on sale for their big anniversary sale for $447, but I know Kim would kill me if I pulled the trigger right now.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    Hmmm...don't the 7970s actually get more credit per day on DiRT? Just wondering, because I don't own one...(yet???) Fry's has them on sale for their big anniversary sale for $447, but I know Kim would kill me if I pulled the trigger right now.
    Maybe, don't know. Not a fan of DiRT, don't intend to crunch it unless there is a challenge. Even then I may put all GPUs in as Hydra and not EmSti.

Past Administrator

Oh, OK. No worries - I was just told the 7970s could get over 1Mil per day on DiRT, so I was curious compared to what you were seeing per day on Donate? The best ATI/AMD cards I have are 5870...Donate is apparantly much better for those.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by EmSti View Post
    Maybe, don't know. Not a fan of DiRT, don't intend to crunch it unless there is a challenge. Even then I may put all GPUs in as Hydra and not EmSti.
    I'm just being curious, what is wrong with DistrRTgen?

Edit: BTW, the only reoccurring issue I have with Donate is that it will randomly kills my Windows desktop by crashing explorer.exe. Basically, the Donate app is not very stable.
    Last edited by Fire$torm; 05-20-12 at 09:15 AM.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    I'm just being curious, what is wrong with DistrRTgen?

Edit: BTW, the only reoccurring issue I have with Donate is that it will randomly kills my Windows desktop by crashing explorer.exe. Basically, the Donate app is not very stable.
    Basically I am not a fan of using a lot of free horse power to help people crack passwords. The language on their site is nice about help security experts, but the freely available tables are used to crack passwords freely. RainbowCrack and a few other programs exist to do just that. In my opinion, helping make what were secure password setups less secure isn't security. Granted this could be done with massive horsepower via other means, I just don't care to put my GPUs to the effort. My personnel preference is to crunch projects that I feel provide some benefit (of course the key is I feel, so it depends on what speaks to me).

Donate for instance interests me in 2 ways. I am intrigued by the bitcoin concept and more importantly that the funds are use to fund medical research (gpugrid). For me RAC is secondary.

BTW, On the topic of the thread, the app_info.xml change has stabilized Donate for me, I ran overnight without getting a neverending job. However, the "509 problem" is there. The 509 is the wus run extra long and produce empty result so you only get 590 credit instead of 5,900. 10% for 3 to 4 time the computing time. I did notice that this always occurs in pairs. Both wus that are sharing the same GPU will go out to lunch together. I think they have a state timeing problem in the app. Freeing up more CPU didn't stop it.

Past Administrator

OK EmSti. Understood.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast