Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Donate never ending jobs

Past Administrator

Re: Donate never ending jobs

Quote Originally Posted by EmSti View Post
    .........Guess I will need to find old posts for building a fake VGA dongle.
    Errr emmmm FAQ anyone? ---> http://www.setiusa.us/faq.php?faq=gpu#faq_dummyplug

Note the second solution titled "The 5 Second Dummy Plug"

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    Errr emmmm FAQ anyone? ---> http://www.setiusa.us/faq.php?faq=gpu#faq_dummyplug

Note the second solution titled "The 5 Second Dummy Plug"
    Thanks, I have had a chance to look for that yet.
    It's only 5 sec if you don't count the time to the elctronic store or on-line shopping and for me that ends up being expensive and time consuming. I have poor impulse controls.

Past Administrator
    @EmSti - I will have to look that stuff up, then! Think I have half of an Arctic Silver tube left, though, so may be a little bit before I need it.

@F$ - Nice.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Gold Member

Now we do the dance of joy <where is a damn dancing banana when you need one>

I took DrPop's suggestion and went further. I thought what was really needed was a bottom chasis fan. No place for one. Unless I remove the power supply and use its intake holes for a chasis fan. Then I remembered another thread were I believe Fire$torm was given credit for moving the power supply to the drive bays. So, I ripped hydra6 apart. Used bungy cords to fasten the PSU in the bay, rerouted all wires. Put the DVD player on the parts pile. Add a fan to the bottom of the case. Swapped the GPUs. The cool thing about the PSU in the upper drive bays is you can use it as an exit fan also. I used cardboard around the front opening to make sure is was pulling air from in side the case and sending it out. The power cord sticks out the front, but who cares, its already got a growth out the back (see previous hydra6 pics).

The results... 7970 is running at 72c and the 6970 at 77c. I did tighten the cooler bolts on the 7970 and to my surprise they were a little loose, so that may have helped also. I am happy to add that all card are running full out and o.c. I couldn't be happier. Correction, if all are still running in the morning and through tomorrow I will buy myself a beer. <where's a beer drinking icon when you need one>

I will update pics and Hydra6 specs, some other time.

Gold Member

Past Administrator

Great job EmSti! WTG. Team SETI.USA FTW

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Past Administrator

That is an interesting project. Sounds like it freed up a lot of airflow in the mid-tower case. What I wonder now is if the bottom fan makes a difference in the full tower cases? Both Cheetah and Puma's cases have a slot for the fan down there, I think 120mm - just in front of where the PSU goes, but I have never put one in, wonder if it would make a difference or if it would interfere with the air flow from big side fan?...hmmm...

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    That is an interesting project. Sounds like it freed up a lot of airflow in the mid-tower case. What I wonder now is if the bottom fan makes a difference in the full tower cases? Both Cheetah and Puma's cases have a slot for the fan down there, I think 120mm - just in front of where the PSU goes, but I have never put one in, wonder if it would make a difference or if it would interfere with the air flow from big side fan?...hmmm...
    I put the biggest bottom fan in I can. All three have them now that I modified H6.

Past Admin

Thanks, ...for me that ends up being expensive and time consuming. I have poor impulse controls.

Man I know the feeling. LOL

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    Well I know many of the current full towers from Corsair, Cooler Master and other manufacturers have bottom fan mount points so it most likely helps.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast