Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Donate never ending jobs

Past Administrator

Re: Donate never ending jobs

Quote Originally Posted by EmSti View Post
    Yippy, king of the hill for a day at Donate.
    It changes day to day, grabbing snapshot while it is there. It is a first for me.

Attachment 912
    Waaaaaahoooooooo baby! YEAH! That is what we like to see, go get 'em S.USA!!!

Diamond Member

Congratulations Emsti, very good job. Keep on keeping... Unfortunately Donate doesn't work with XP 64 or I would be a real treath to you all.

Bad Jokes Duke
    Friends are like diamonds and diamonds are forever

Gold Member

Nice job getting to the top!

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by EmSti View Post
    Yippy, king of the hill for a day at Donate.
    It changes day to day, grabbing snapshot while it is there. It is a first for me.

Attachment 912
    Oorah!

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Administrator

Nah, fame is so fleeting! Today he got his butt handed to him big time ... a whole 13k

Nyaah nah nah nah nah!

Okay so I got lucky when the project was down it didn't slow me down as much as the big boys

Tomorrow be sure and wave as you blow by EmSti

Diamond Member

How is this done? I would have to check in on my tasks every 15 minutes, to restart the stalled tasks. And even then, that would be 15 minutes lost. Babysitting tasks to completion is a 24/7 job with this project. And if you consider all the idle time, it pays crap.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    How is this done? I would have to check in on my tasks every 15 minutes, to restart the stalled tasks. And even then, that would be 15 minutes lost. Babysitting tasks to completion is a 24/7 job with this project. And if you consider all the idle time, it pays crap.
    One alternative would be to run a batch file/script to pause the project and then say 2~5 minutes later resume the project. Since a stalled task isn't dead, it will complete. This way no need to babysit the project.

I don't know how to compose a Linux script but a batch file I can do in a few minutes. Task Scheduler takes care of starting the batch file.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    I don't have the problems some do, but I'm just running the old stuff... 58xx and 69xx. On occaison I get the hung WU but it isn't all that common and when I do I I usually lose several hours of a GPU. I don't babysit the computers.

What I found on MY systems is:

1. The app_info works excellently with single cards. Gives 5% or better increase in credits.
    2. On a dual card system (6990) it caused bunches of 590 credit WU (I7 2600k). Even though my crunch time went down per WU I got far less credits. 26 590 credit WU over a 16 hour period. When running 1 WU per GPU I almost NEVER see 590 credit WU.
    3. On a dual card + single card (5970 + 5870) system I got bunches of hung WU. A hung WU is RARE on that system when running 1 WU per GPU.
    4. A Q6600 machine with 2 5870s barfed almost immediately with only 2 cores reserved. I didn't try freeing all 4.

On #2 and #3 I was reserving 1/2 of a V8 ... it might have worked with more CPU reserved or it may be a function of the "dual" GPUs. I don't know but it isn't worth worrying about. I'm heat limited at this point so increasing the GPU loading by 5% isn't beneficial! All but 2 cards are downclocked.

I'm getting 4M+ per day (normally) so it pays far better than anything else.

Z you might try shutting down CPU crunching on your 7970 machine and try a 24 hour experiment. Before I did the Collatz Pentathlon thingie I was running Donate to the tune of 4.3M per day (winter I could clock higher). Although I did see hung WU they were VERY rare. After the Pentathlon I went back to Donate and for a couple of days I had a lot of trouble. It finally dawned on me the difference between before and after was the amount of CPU I was using for crunching. Prior I was reserving 4 threads on the V8s and after I was crunching 6 CPU wu and doing Donate. I reserved 2 more threads (1/2 the I7s) and my problems went away. Anyway it might be worth a try on one of your systems!

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Nah, fame is so fleeting! Today he got his butt handed to him big time ... a whole 13k

Nyaah nah nah nah nah!

Okay so I got lucky when the project was down it didn't slow me down as much as the big boys

Tomorrow be sure and wave as you blow by EmSti

I did expect my total to be down because I worked on 2 of them for hours. Redid air flow on 2 pcs and redid the TIM on one of the hot GPUs (long ugly story I will share after the nightmares stop). After I got BlackDragon sorted out, I thought, I started up Donate right in the middle of problems they had last night and almost freaked. Until I noticed all of my machines were up and down, processing, not processing, dooooooooinnnnnnngggggg nothing, repeat. I had to wait hours to know I hadn't totally FOBARed things.

That being said and totals expected to be down, I was surprise when the daily update on bonicstat that I was top for the day again. I had to search for a bit to find you were looking at Free-DC I think, they showed the 13k diff). Free-DC shows a large amount for me yesterday than boinstats, so I guess it depends on 24 hour period they look at. I was going to post a pic of both, but I guess I have hit my space limit and I can't seem to clear the previous uploads (I need help, PM me please).

I am running even faster now, I am looking forward to seeing my totals for the next 48 hours and if the new setups are stable. 4 of the 5 7970s are now doing 2 Donate works units at about 17:05. I also shaved 30 secs off the 6970 times. the 7970s now running at
    1185, 1185, 1185, 1175, 1170 Mhz. 2 of the owns at 1185 are still running cool, they may be capable of 1200, but i am don't want to push any harder for awhile.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    I reserved 2 more threads (1/2 the I7s) and my problems went away. Anyway it might be worth a try on one of your systems!
    I agree I think reserving the thread(s) is key. I am becoming more and more conviced a lot of the project's problems are timing problems between the GPU and CPU. Reserving a CPU seems to cut down on that. The main problem I get lately (not daily) is the Bonic client crashing when Donate and one of the CPU projects finish at the same time. Which is why I wrote the program to restart the client. Lots of computation errors yesterday, but that was me playing with voltage and speed. Much more settled today.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast