Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Donate never ending jobs

Diamond Member

Re: Donate never ending jobs

Just FYI: Yes, you can suspend/resume a "hung" task. And it will complete with credits. But that is no better than aborting a task, and starting a new one. A hung task that is suspended/restarted restarted from zero time, and takes the normal amount of time to complete.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    Just FYI: Yes, you can suspend/resume a "hung" task. And it will complete with credits. But that is no better than aborting a task, and starting a new one. A hung task that is suspended/restarted restarted from zero time, and takes the normal amount of time to complete.
    My experience with Donate also. Seems to also have a delay as it decides to restart the job also. I have learned to time reboots around the % of time complete.

Gold Member

Oh so close to the 5 mill a day total on Donate. According to Free-DC today I got 4,829,439. Only 3.42% to go.

Past Admin

Quote Originally Posted by EmSti View Post
    Oh so close to the 5 mill a day total on Donate. According to Free-DC today I got 4,829,439. Only 3.42% to go.
    Squeezing every little stone out of those puppies.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by EmSti View Post
    No problemo, you'll hit it tomorrow. Their server had trouble for a couple of hours this afternoon ... I lost 300k and you would have lost more than that! Assuming the project server stays healthy you should blow right through it tomorrow!

Cruncher Pete

Guys, to me that what counts is not so much of what we as volunteers are doing but what the projects is NOT doing. Whilst we as users have some considerable knowledge in either experience or in deed programming, you just need to look at the Message Boards of most sites and the Admins are saying nothing or at best disregarding any problems as to say that there is NO problem, you must be stupid for I do not have that problem here... Not even to acknowledge that there is a problem or not even a thank you for using our project. This hurts me more than anything else in DC Computing. Are we so dumb that we accept the apparent fact that they do not care? If I am wrong, than please tell me how it is communicated to us, for I do not see this in most projects. Some do not even bother to talk to us because there is no Message Board that is active and they do not care if results of our daily score is promulgated world wide or not.

I think it is time we voice our opinion, if you find that a project doe snot conform to a standard that it should be following than stop using that project. There are Plenty of others that do the right thing. Please do not come back that we should be aware that as a new project in Alpha phase they need time to work things out.. All I can say to this is that we have a lot of knowledge amongst us as users that they should listen to us and use the Message Board to their method of communicating to us. If the problem is so serious that effects all users than they should acknowledge its existence and say so openly in the News section outlining what action they have taken to correct the problem. I am sick and tired of wasting my money on running my computers on a project that does not acknowledge my presence or listen to my concerns running their program. If they are not interested in our input than they should realize their demise....

I am sorry to say that although I have followed this project from the beginning, I am now under the impression that they are using us for they are not interacting with any of the users in their Message Boards, for to confirm this just look how many problems are posed to them and how many are in fact replied to.

There has been instances reflecting this stance by others yet no reply from the project.. It is your choice what you intend to do...

I think it is time that we told all projects not just this one that we need recognition and acknowledgement of our problems and if we do not get that simple thank you and acknowledgement than YOU should choose another project that cares... It is up to you.. Do what your own conscious desires...

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    Yes, that is correct. All in all Donate is a decent project that pays very well. And the reality is that Donate is in the same league as quite a few other projects. They can be very quirky and a pain in the ass. But, if you want credit or MM in that project then you have to accept what it throws at you.

So better idea, use a BOINCTasks rule set to abort the wu if runtime exceeds max_runtime + 10~15%. Still no baby sitting involved and credit output will exceed any other project. On a good day with Donate I have hit 1 Mil+ from that project alone using three 5830s ---> http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?p...oj=don&name=89

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    So better idea, use a BOINCTasks rule set to abort the wu if runtime exceeds max_runtime
    How do you set it up for ABORT? I only show SUSPEND task.

Gold Member

Woot!

Reached my goal. According to Free-DC, I did 5,109,429 credits today, finally reaching my goal of tuning the 6 GPUS to the 5 Mill level. Yeah for me. I think 2 or 3 of the GPUs can go higher, but I am going to give it a rest for awhile and work harder on house projects.

Other impressive numbers: Looks like Cruncher Pete has stomped on the Donate gas pedal and reached 5,266,177 (king of the hill again). I think I counted 19 GPUs in the mix (of course it's hard to tell if all of those were actually doing Donate or just in the machine doing other things), that is just plain impressive. Are the tahiti cards playing nice now?

Bryan is also flying high at 4,563,877.

I believe those are the highest numbers I have seen on Donate from all three since I started my little adventure.
    Last edited by EmSti; 05-30-12 at 10:02 PM.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    How do you set it up for ABORT? I only show SUSPEND task.
    Use the run program action in the rule to start a batch file or script that aborts the Donate cache using boinccmd's --project <URL> reset command.

Edit: This way only one command needs to be issued.
    Last edited by Fire$torm; 05-30-12 at 07:48 PM.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678