Thread: BOINC Manager Won't Connect to Client

Platinum Member

BOINC Manager Won't Connect to Client

Ok - just installed a new video card, and it actually works! (No thanks to STM...) However....

My BOINC manager will not connect to the client. I have no idea why. Uninstalled and reinstalled it. Newest manager, CCC 10.10, Win7x64. Any ideas why this might be happening? Do I have actually punch STM in the nuts?

Platinum Member

Re: BOINC Manager Won't Connect to Client

So complaining solved that problem. New issue:

BOINC will not crunch any of the ATI projects on the ATI cards. Driver installed, BOINC sees the cards, I have the cc_config file set up to use all GPUs (just in case), but when the WUs go to run, they get nowhere and have zero load on the cards. Help?

EDIT: Uninstalled the driver, ran Driver Sweeper, Reinstalled the driver. Same problem. The WUs start, but will not actually run on the GPU (zero load)...
    Last edited by Maxwell; 12-01-10 at 03:10 AM.

Gold Member

If you can't figure it out, just box up the ATI card and send it to me. I'll test it for you for the next 3 years or so.

What version of BOINC?
    Does BOINC recognize the type of ATI card or is it one of the new 6xxx cards reported as "unknown"?
    What GPU preferences are set in boinc manager?
    Did you already override the don't crunch when xxx % of the CPU is used?
    Current versions have separate run always, run by prefs, etc. for cpu, network, and GPU. If used to running older versions, it may have started the WU but suspended it as soon as it started.
    What projects/apps are you running? Opt or standard?
    If you check the slots folder for the ATI project, is there a stderr.txt or stdout.txt there? If so, any hints inside of them as to what it is doing?
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Diamond Member

Let me ask the obvious: Activity -> Use GPU always?
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slicker View Post
    What version of BOINC?
    Does BOINC recognize the type of ATI card or is it one of the new 6xxx cards reported as "unknown"?
    What GPU preferences are set in boinc manager?
    Did you already override the don't crunch when xxx % of the CPU is used?
    Current versions have separate run always, run by prefs, etc. for cpu, network, and GPU. If used to running older versions, it may have started the WU but suspended it as soon as it started.
    What projects/apps are you running? Opt or standard?
    If you check the slots folder for the ATI project, is there a stderr.txt or stdout.txt there? If so, any hints inside of them as to what it is doing?
    BOINC 6.10.58
    It's a 5970 - BOINC sees both cards (listed in lines 15-18) on the Messages tab.
    CPU pref is overridden. CPU projects are working actually.
    Selected Use GPU always.
    MW DNETC standard apps, Collatz opti (just changed cmdline to p3 b-1). Same issue with all projects.
    Nothing helpful, I don't think:
    Code:
    wrapper: starting
    Core: 
    Radeon 8 time 150
    ngpus 4
    IN & OUT => 12 units
    10:14:18 (2316): wrapper: running dnetc_1.31_windows_intelx86__ati14.exe (-runoffline -multiok=1 -ckpoint chkpoint -pausefile pause -exitfile exit -inbase in -outbase out -priority 5 -n -1 -runbuffers -l stderr.txt  )
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    Let me ask the obvious: Activity -> Use GPU always?
    Yep. That was the first thing I checked after I posted...

Dunno, you could try re-installing or updating your BOINC client, worth a try since it isn't working the way it is now. I've been using 6.11.6 for a while now with no apparent problems.

Platinum Member

This is the weirdest thing, and I have no idea why this is happening. But when I turned on Crossfire, the computer would finally behave and actually crunch on the cards. I have no idea why this is the case, but it's working now, but I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth...

Of course, if someone can explain this to me, I'd love to hear why it's working all of a sudden.

Past Administrator

Questions:
    1) Are they same Make & Model?
    2) Did you extend your desktop to the second card/monitor?
    3) Did you you check your BIOS settings for the PCI-E slots?
    4) Does CCC show any differences between the two cards?

I don't remember if the newer ATI's require a dummy plug for multi-GPU setups but if they do and you don't have the plug you could try plugging the second card into the secondary video port on you monitor. This is assuming of course your monitor has multiple inputs (Mine has four).

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    Questions:
    1) Are they same Make & Model?
    2) Did you extend your desktop to the second card/monitor?
    3) Did you you check your BIOS settings for the PCI-E slots?
    4) Does CCC show any differences between the two cards?

I don't remember if the newer ATI's require a dummy plug for multi-GPU setups but if they do and you don't have the plug you could try plugging the second card into the secondary video port on you monitor. This is assuming of course your monitor has multiple inputs (Mine has four).
    1. Both are ATI Radeon 5970s, but different manufacturers.
    2. Yep. They only started working once I Crossfired the cards.
    3. No - I did see in CCC that both were running at x8 without Crossfire, but haven't looked since they started working.
    4. Just a different manufacturer. Nothing else.

I have monitors plugged into both cards. With Crossfire on, the second monitor is blank. Don't need the dummy plug...

Over on the TM boards, Farscape said that he has run into this issue when he tried to do a dual 5970 setup. He found some reference on the XFX website that most Mobos aren't built to handle that high-end data transfer - he ended up having to get a new Mobo. In a last ditch effort to not buy a new Mobo (and thus thwart STM ) I turned on Crossfire, and things started working. I really have no idea why, but it worked...

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
    1. Both are ATI Radeon 5970s, but different manufacturers.
    2. Yep. They only started working once I Crossfired the cards.
    3. No - I did see in CCC that both were running at x8 without Crossfire, but haven't looked since they started working.
    4. Just a different manufacturer. Nothing else.

I have monitors plugged into both cards. With Crossfire on, the second monitor is blank. Don't need the dummy plug...

Over on the TM boards, Farscape said that he has run into this issue when he tried to do a dual 5970 setup. He found some reference on the XFX website that most Mobos aren't built to handle that high-end data transfer - he ended up having to get a new Mobo. In a last ditch effort to not buy a new Mobo (and thus thwart STM ) I turned on Crossfire, and things started working. I really have no idea why, but it worked...
    IRQ Plug-n-Play conflict? Maybe there's a BIOS setting that needs changed. I wonder if there's a BIOS update that would help?
    6r39 7r199