Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with new build.

Silver Member

Help with new build.

Hey there, I'm helping my brother make his first build with a budget of about $1000. What do you guys think of this setup?
    http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Pu...umber=24233047
    Cruncher Status
    Kuro Chan: Offline Glacies: Online P/T

Past Administrator

Re: Help with new build.

Looks good to me.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Past Administrator

Hi Aux10, looking good. Is he ever going to fill that second PCI-e slot with another GTX 570 down the road? If so, he might consider going full tower case instead of a mid tower for the extra cooling. The case you listed is decent, but $100 seems a bit steep to me for a case without a side fan blowing on the GPUs...For just a bit more you could get a Thor V2 and he would have tons of airflow. Of course, if size is a concern, then mid tower will work - but even then, a HAF 922 is only $89 for comparison.

I would also take a look at these 750W PSUs instead - simply because he will have more headroom and also be all set if he ever wants to SLI two GTX 570s down the road: This one and especially this one are good for the money.

I don't know much about the Ivy Bridge mobos, but I would be tempted to try to find an ASUS board for the same price - if it has the same features. Out of all the Hydras I think the ASUS mobos seem to O/C the best with less heat. Just a couple cents there.

Lastly - if he needs to trim some $, that is quite the wireless card - is he going to be be way far away from his router?

Jed

Past Administrator

OK Since DP brought it up....

Taking a closer look at the Antec, I think you should try a different case. The Antec is built like an old-school ATXs which do not have some features to ease system building and maintenance.

Consider this combo
    Cooler Master HAF 912 - $59.99
    Cooler Master Hardisk Cage - $23.99

I have a 912 and it is bigger then the pic suggests. That combo will give him more options for fan size, count and location. The 912 also has a MB tray CPU retaining cutout, lots of grommet covered cutouts for cable management, support for water cooling options and built-in dust filters.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Silver Member

Well my brother isn't into the crunching game so IDK. The PSU were using is one of my spare parts so if he wants to upgrade later he can actually buy one. Guy wants a side panel with a window but it seems that CM has started selling some side panels on their site for the HAF 922. Unfortunately they stopped selling the HAF 922 Blue so we have to get his fans separately.He can always put up a side fan later by switching out his side panels. Cassandra sits in an HAF 922 herself and I can assure you she is quite comfortable in there space wise. If I remember right when I built Cassandra Jerwa wanted to start a cult for HAF 922 owners since a bunch of us bought some at once. lol Thats the same WiFi card that I recently installed in Cassandra but she needs one like that since she is on the complete opposite side of the house from the router. I must say the card is AWESOME!!! Why not go for the best? can't beat 450 Mbps. Oh I updated the list with the HAF 922 parts. As far as the mobo goes I'm a bit of a MSI fan since I've had nothing but good experiences with their boards. He's not very savvy so I don't think he even knows what over clocking is or cares.
    Last edited by Aux10; 05-31-12 at 03:32 PM.
    Cruncher Status
    Kuro Chan: Offline Glacies: Online P/T

Past Administrator

Ah, OK. Well, in that case - looking great. He will be very happy with it.

Silver Member

Personaly i would be concerned with that motherboard working out of box with that Ivy... That MB was made before the ivy was available and may not work without a bios update and may need to research wether it will support that ivy, so i would sugest using a MB that will suport that CPU like the Z77 chipset that way you can also use the new features available like the onboard gpu and also support for pcix 3.0 but that just my 2cents.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    OK Since DP brought it up....

Taking a closer look at the Antec, I think you should try a different case. The Antec is built like an old-school ATXs which do not have some features to ease system building and maintenance.
    I have an old school, beige, full tower, all steel Antec ATX case. I still use it. It was cutting edge at the time with a side opening case, removable hard disk cage, and room for 4x80mm case fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    Consider this combo
    Cooler Master HAF 912 - $59.99
    Cooler Master Hardisk Cage - $23.99

I have a 912 and it is bigger then the pic suggests. That combo will give him more options for fan size, count and location. The 912 also has a MB tray CPU retaining cutout, lots of grommet covered cutouts for cable management, support for water cooling options and built-in dust filters.
    I have several Cooler Master cases and highly recommend them. Much easier on the pocket book than Antec and don't lack in features. If you want to spend a little more money elsewhere (e.g. PSU or HDD), you might even consider the Cooler Master Gladiator 600 which is $20 less than the HAF 912.
    http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0317308
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Diamond Member

So you all insist in talking about computers, I have my hands tied on that for now.

I am going to play a game and wait some of you want to speak about music.

Good luck Aux10 with your new build, you wouldn't want my help anyway. AHA that is Good Luck in Portuguese for your built.
    Friends are like diamonds and diamonds are forever

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Slicker View Post
    I have an old school, beige, full tower, all steel Antec ATX case. I still use it. It was cutting edge at the time with a side opening case, removable hard disk cage, and room for 4x80mm case fans.
    Yeah, don't get me wrong. Prime Old-School isn't bad, they were very innovative for their time. And like you I still have an old Antec, the SX1040BII SoHo case. I love that case and it was the most copied design I have ever witnessed in the industry.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast