Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WCG: several sub-projects ending soon

Diamond Member

Re: WCG: several sub-projects ending soon

Help Cure Cancer had about two years of work left. With the introduction of the GPU app, that is going to shrink by quite a bit. I don't think it's been running long enough to know how much yet. But it could be as short as only a few months. And running the GPU app won't get you much progress on your badges, if that is what you want.

I am running HCC as my CPU project now (in addition to the GPU), to make sure I get my badge goal asap.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Silver Member

I was thinking the same thing. Hope it lasts long enough...

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    Help Cure Cancer had about two years of work left. With the introduction of the GPU app, that is going to shrink by quite a bit. I don't think it's been running long enough to know how much yet. But it could be as short as only a few months. And running the GPU app won't get you much progress on your badges, if that is what you want.

I am running HCC as my CPU project now (in addition to the GPU), to make sure I get my badge goal asap.
    Just before GPU was released, the estimate was 730 days left. Now the estimate is 255. I expect that to go down even further, as more GPU crunchers attach. Get on it (with your CPUs)!

Gold Member

Can you post the link for that info estimate? Thank you in advance. Carlos

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by pinhodecarlos View Post
    Can you post the link for that info estimate? Thank you in advance. Carlos
    http://www.setiusa.us/showthread.php...ject-durations

The current number in the report is down to 502 days. But it is a moving average, that hasn't yet caught up to the current crunch rate.

Silver Member

A post by Kevin Reed, one of the WCG-techs, puts the current estimate at 100 - 130 days, but it's possible yet more HCC-work will be added on top of this:
    We are still assessing the impact of the acceleration on the end date of the HCC1 project. Our rough estimate with 'known' work based on this acceleration is about 100-130 days until end of project. BUT my use of the word 'known' simply means the number of batches we are aware to run. What we are are is not equal to what the researchers want to run so we are discussing this further with them at this time.

However, we do not yet have any research project beyond HCC1 that we know can run on a GPU. While this has definitely shown the power of GPU working well, for an application that clearly fits the profile of being suitable for GPU, the researchers are still the ones that provide the code and they will have to determine if GPU would work for their project and then make the modifications.

It is important to us to have GPU capable projects, but we cannot promise them. Even then, we could find ourselves with a project that was written for CUDA and not be able to run on AMD graphics cards (or written for AMD but not CUDA). As a result, we ask that people not make purchasing decision without understand these caveats.

Gold Member

I'm switching over to this one now. Gonna try to get emerald at least.

Diamond Member

I actually *stopped* the GPU version. No point in burning up tasks, fighting against my badge goals.

Diamond Member

Damn, the rolling average is dropping fast! It stared at 730 days left a week ago. Now down to 277. I hope it levels out soon.

Diamond Member

Reminder: ONly ~80 days left for HCC!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast