14 60.87%
  • NO (Must reply with preferred goal)

4 17.39%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Poll: Team Objective

Gold Member

Re: Poll: Team Objective

Quote Originally Posted by Bok View Post
    That's an interesting notion, not sure how we'd categorize an overall MM, perhaps lowest average projrank?

Code:
    mysql> select cpid,avg(projrank) as avpr from boinc_milestone_makers where mtype like 't%' group by cpid order by avpr asc limit 0,20;
    +-------------------------+---------+
    | cpid                    | avpr    |
    | L'Alliance Francophone  |  1.8182 |
    | SETI.Germany            |  1.9091 |
    | SETI.USA                |  2.0909 |
    | Czech National Team     |  5.8000 |
    | BOINC Synergy           |  7.2222 |
    | Ars Technica            |  8.3000 |
    | BOINC@Poland            |  8.3000 |
    | BOINC@AUSTRALIA         |  8.3333 |
    | Planet 3DNow!           |  8.3636 |
    | BOINCstats              |  8.4000 |
    | Team 2ch                | 11.3636 |
    | The Knights Who Say Ni! | 12.6667 |
    | Team Norway             | 13.5556 |
    | Canada                  | 13.8750 |
    | AMD Users               | 15.5556 |
    | UK BOINC Team           | 16.8889 |
    | Russia                  | 17.6667 |
    | TeAm AnandTech          | 18.5000 |
    | USA                     | 19.0000 |
    | BOINC.Italy             | 19.1250 |
    20 rows in set (0.01 sec)

I think you need to do an outer join against the milestones where a null equates to the max value so that it gives a truer picture. (e.g. Team USA is ranked #19 overall above when they only have 7 MM's. I'm not sure that holds up against other teams which have more MM's (11 or more?) but lower numbers.

For example, if team X has less than a billion credits, then the ranking for the 1B MM would be the count of teams that have 1B plus one (e.g. tied for last) rather than not counted in the stats at all.
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Advisor - Stateside Division

Agreed, though I can't think of a simple way to do it with the data in it's form right now even with an outer join . Would be simplest if there were a row for every team regardless of whether they had a 'score' in the category.

Perhaps this is a little bit better in the interim.

Code:
    mysql> select cpid,avg(projrank) as avpr,count(*),(avg(projrank)/count(*)) as av2 from boinc_milestone_makers where mtype like 't%' group by cpid order by av2 asc limit 0,20;
    +-------------------------+---------+----------+------------+
    | cpid                    | avpr    | count(*) | av2        |
    | L'Alliance Francophone  |  1.8182 |       11 | 0.16528926 |
    | SETI.Germany            |  1.9091 |       11 | 0.17355372 |
    | SETI.USA                |  2.0909 |       11 | 0.19008264 |
    | Czech National Team     |  5.8000 |       10 | 0.58000000 |
    | Planet 3DNow!           |  8.3636 |       11 | 0.76033058 |
    | BOINC Synergy           |  7.2222 |        9 | 0.80246914 |
    | Ars Technica            |  8.3000 |       10 | 0.83000000 |
    | BOINC@Poland            |  8.3000 |       10 | 0.83000000 |
    | BOINCstats              |  8.4000 |       10 | 0.84000000 |
    | BOINC@AUSTRALIA         |  8.3333 |        9 | 0.92592593 |
    | Team 2ch                | 11.3636 |       11 | 1.03305785 |
    | The Knights Who Say Ni! | 12.6667 |        9 | 1.40740741 |
    | Team Norway             | 13.5556 |        9 | 1.50617284 |
    | AMD Users               | 15.5556 |        9 | 1.72839506 |
    | Canada                  | 13.8750 |        8 | 1.73437500 |
    | Sicituradastra.         | 20.1818 |       11 | 1.83471074 |
    | UK BOINC Team           | 16.8889 |        9 | 1.87654321 |
    | Russia                  | 17.6667 |        9 | 1.96296296 |
    | TeAm AnandTech          | 18.5000 |        8 | 2.31250000 |
    | BOINC.Italy             | 19.1250 |        8 | 2.39062500 |
    20 rows in set (0.00 sec)

I have not voted yet but agree the team’s goals need to be defined for those in need of an answer.

Sadly I lost the majority of my motivation last Spring during the “uprising of 2010”. However EVERY single cobblestone I have earned in the past 5 years since joining the team has gone into the team’s coffers, that will continue to be until there is a reason for me to move on.

Since you are looking for suggestions on the team’s goals here are a few off the top of my head. My personal preference would be #3 “Be the top ranked team in ranking averaged across all BOINC projects.” as it seems to be the most logical (to me) in showing the “best” team with the current state of how BOINC credits are earned.

Mix or match or come up with something altogether different, the team’s stated mission will not effect my participation here. Some may not agree with the projects I participate in but I have and always will crunch 100% for SETI.USA as long as I am a member.

Hold our #1 position on SETI@home.

Be the #1 team for credit in BOINC.

Be the top ranked team in ranking averaged across all BOINC projects.

Achieve the most #1 positions on all BOINC projects.

Achieve the most top 10 rankings on all BOINC projects.

Strive for #1 in Formula BOINC.

Strive to be the #1 team in all official project challenges for the year.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by DrBob View Post
    Hold our #1 position on SETI@home.

Be the #1 team for credit in BOINC.

Be the top ranked team in ranking averaged across all BOINC projects.

Achieve the most #1 positions on all BOINC projects.

Achieve the most top 10 rankings on all BOINC projects.

Strive for #1 in Formula BOINC.

Strive to be the #1 team in all official project challenges for the year.
    Dr.Bob, well said as usual. I do not see anything to change in your list, really, except maybe order of them if we want to number them according to team preference?
    EDIT: For the MM enthusiasts, wouldn't "most MMs" come along naturally with everything Doc has listed out here for us? Just a thought...
    Also, sorry to hear how much steam was lost this spring; I think it affected more than we will ever know. I am glad you are here with us still, and hope the contagious crunching bug will bite you again soon, my friend!
    Last edited by DrPop; 12-06-10 at 05:54 PM. Reason: MMs

thepossum1

@ Bok--Go 'Canes You lost me when you started talking facts & figures

My 2˘ says only one objective--#1 in whatever's out there, no matter how that pie is sliced. Short & sweet. The hard part is making that happen. As we've always said, crunch what you want, and we need that as well as power crunch for short term things that may come along--ie challenges or we've dropped in a certain project & are in jeopardy of losing standing. Has this really changed? IDK because I've missed so much of the struggle of the last year or so.

Ditto DrBob--I'll always be here. This is my team and that won't change. My crunch bug has relapsed, so I have no other choice! lol MORE MORE MORE

P.S. I didn't vote yet either so as not to screw up the numbers

Past Administrator

OK...this is real encouraging. So, it appears there are about 16 of us on this team that check the boards somewhat regularly? (The 14 that voted plus two who abstained.) Anyone else see a bit of a dilemma here about us setting some goals that will affect a few thousand people on our team?

Then again, I suppose we could look at it this way: if they don't care to show up, maybe it won't affect them after all.

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    OK...this is real encouraging. So, it appears there are about 16 of us on this team that check the boards somewhat regularly? (The 14 that voted plus two who abstained.) Anyone else see a bit of a dilemma here about us setting some goals that will affect a few thousand people on our team?

Then again, I suppose we could look at it this way: if they don't care to show up, maybe it won't affect them after all.
    Yeah, pretty much the way it's always been as far as trying poll members on the boards. Besides the two groups you mentioned there is a third, those that visit the boards but don't care one way or another in regard to what is being polled.

We also have "active" members that only check the boards once a week or so, the poll has only been up a couple days. Even with the fact we have moved the fora I think you may see a few more pop in here but anything close to a quorum for our total membership will never happen.

Gold Member

Post Re: Poll: Team Objective

I haven't voted yet because I didn't like the options. I don't have anything better, so I just decided to abstain and see where it went.

With a few mediocre computers, I decided a while back to go with MM's because that's where I feel I can accomplish more and get higher team rankings.

I think one of the best things we've done recently is help each other get more crunchers going and more GPUs crunching. That, to me, is what being a team is all about. I'm sure everyone wants to be No.1 overall. All we can do is help everyone on the team be the best that they can be with the resources they have and just keep people educated on how they can be more productive without getting on peoples cases.

If you educate people and it's their focus, then they'll do it. We don't need to hammer (no offense Maxwell) people over the head about not crunching the right projects and whining about L'AF and SG pulling away or complaining that not enough people are buying GPUs instead of buying the groceries or making the car payment on time.

If we do make some goals, they should be suggestions and not demands. If we do want the majority to see it, the best way to do that is the team page on each project. Any cruncher that joins the team is going to see that.

Having said all that. Here are some things that make sense to me whether we can reach them at the moment or not. (ex. The Rams goal is to make the Super Bowl. It may take a couple of years.) It's becoming clear to me that we should not reject the original purpose of the team and I guess it's ok to have a goal that we can't reach right now. The goal could be a positive message to someone joining the team if presented correctly.

1. No.1 in SETI@HOME.
    It's the foundation of the team whether the forum dwellers (including myself) care about it or not.

2. No.1 overall.
    Just because we can't do it right now doesn't mean it shouldn't be a goal.

3. MM's
    As many as you can get with the resources you have.

4. Active in major Challenges
    See forum for details. Follow on Twitter.

Anything beyond this is probably information overload.
    6r39 7r199

Good post trigggl, well said.

Past Administrator

Trigggl, I do agree with most of what you said, but I also hope you and everyone else realize why I even made this poll. This team is re-emerging, reinventing itself. If it weren't for some very lofty goals the first time around, this team would't even be in existence.

I mean, sure, we could all just throw our points together haphazardly, while sitting around the camp fire holding hands and singing Kumbaya together...but I'm not so sure that would get us to where want to be...any time soon, at least.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast