Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Assistance needed on freshening up a Dell

Platinum Member

Re: Assistance needed on freshening up a Dell

Slightly disappointed update;

Even with the much stronger power supply, it apperently is just not enough to start the machine with two 430's installed. Now I regret not ordering on of the monster PSU's. Oh well, maybe I can sell the 430's, or should I spend more money and buy a crazy big PSU to see if I can power up all three?

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    Interesting. I would abort the Moo wrapper WUs and try Collatz. Let us know what the temps are from that. It just may be too much on it trying to do Moo! and work your monitor, etc at the same time when you're using it. Oh, when you setup Collatz, do the Collatz Mini WUs in your preferences for the project. They will get done a lot faster on that GPU.
    Thank you for the suggestion, I want to see how it does on Einstein and SETI first, before I attach to another project.

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Buckingham View Post
    To stay on Moo maybe you can have less memory clock and with that have a better temperature. Try with the memory clock on the minimum allowed. Some projects need to have less MC to run at an average temperature.
    Thank you. Did it and will monitor how it does. Should I leave the core clock and shader clock levels alone?

Friend of SETI.USA

You may have other problems, I've run 3 GTX 580's with a Single 750 PSU, so a 680 PSU unless it's a piece of junk should handle 2 GTX 430's, never heard of a GTX 430 though so don't really know what you have there. It could be a OS Issue or BIOS Issue, just random thoughts ...

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by denim View Post
    Thank you. Did it and will monitor how it does. Should I leave the core clock and shader clock levels alone?
    I usually use all the defaults besides the memory clock and only in some (few) projects I could improve performance with a bit more of memory clock. That was the case of POEM project with the app to run 4 tasks at a time. In all times to lower memory clock, lower the GPU temp a lot, at least for me and if the temp is not good enough for me I just lower a very small bit the core clock not ever more than 10% to not lose much of the crunching power.

Another thing that happened to me once that I was having high temp on the GPU and was not understanding why, well it was not well sealed the GPU and the fan was not having the expected effect. Closing the GPU well is very important for the temperature.

Good luck denim, I hope things get better to you and your GPU, I don't know much but I am always here to help if I can.
    Friends are like diamonds and diamonds are forever

Past Administrator

Denim, something is just not right here. I'm not knocking your GTX 430s, but in the grand scheme of things, that's not an insane power sucking GPU. I mean your PSU should be able to power one of those like a warm knife through butter and two shouldn't be much harder. So let's look at some things:
    Is that an original Dell motherboard? If yes, can you please download and run CPU-Z and let us know the model number from that?
    Second, do you have the latest BIOS installed on your mobo?
    Third, are we talking about PCI or PCI-e GPU cards?

Lastly, can you please list the CPU and any other peripherals you have attached to the motherboard?
    Thanks!
    Last edited by DrPop; 03-23-13 at 11:26 PM.

Platinum Member

Denim, something is just not right here. I'm not knocking your GTX 430s, but in the grand scheme of things, that's not an insane power sucking GPU. I mean your PSU should be able to power one of those like a warm knife through butter and two shouldn't be much harder. So let's look at some things:
    Is that an original Dell motherboard? If yes, can you please download and run CPU-Z and let us know the model number from that?
    Second, do you have the latest BIOS installed on your mobo?
    Third, are we talking about PCI or PCI-e GPU cards?

Lastly, can you please list the CPU and any other peripherals you have attached to the motherboard?
    Thanks!
    Hey Dr. Pop. Thank you for your concern as I am puzzled too.

Original Dell motherboard. CPU-Z stats - Mother board model: 0WF887.

Not sure on the latest BIOS. This is an Xp box oddly. My lappy is win7.

PCI-express I believe.

Right now, only a little SHG SoundWave 5.1 PCI sound card attached to the motherboard that was not stock.
    Last edited by denim; 03-27-13 at 01:13 PM.

Past Administrator

Hi Denim,
    OK, that is an older Pentium 4 motherboard with the Intel 865GV Chipset, and will only support PCI devices (not PCI-e). The issue with this is going to be limits of the PCI bus - either watts or bandwidth, and I'm not sure, but the Dell motherboard may have some proprietary stuff there, so that might be the issue.
    Unfortunately for crunching purposes, this is a small form factor board, and has the 3 PCI slots right next to each other just below the CPU. With the 3 PCI slots so close together, I'd be inclined to leave it with just one GPU in the top slot. You might get by with skipping the middle slot and putting a second GPU in the bottom, but then how close is that to the bottom of your case?

I think we're going to run into heat issues big time if we try to do much more...may be better off selling the other 2 GPUs to anyone who needs an older PCI slot GPU to fill an empty slot, or for older server type mobos that didn't have PCI-e slots, etc.

Hope that helps a little.

Platinum Member

Hi Denim,
    OK, that is an older Pentium 4 motherboard with the Intel 865GV Chipset, and will only support PCI devices (not PCI-e). The issue with this is going to be limits of the PCI bus - either watts or bandwidth, and I'm not sure, but the Dell motherboard may have some proprietary stuff there, so that might be the issue.
    Unfortunately for crunching purposes, this is a small form factor board, and has the 3 PCI slots right next to each other just below the CPU. With the 3 PCI slots so close together, I'd be inclined to leave it with just one GPU in the top slot. You might get by with skipping the middle slot and putting a second GPU in the bottom, but then how close is that to the bottom of your case?

I think we're going to run into heat issues big time if we try to do much more...may be better off selling the other 2 GPUs to anyone who needs an older PCI slot GPU to fill an empty slot, or for older server type mobos that didn't have PCI-e slots, etc.

Hope that helps a little.
    I have not run into heat issues just yet, as I cannot get the machine to start up with a second 430 installed.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567