Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For the PS4, Sony wants pre-owned games to go Bye Bye

Past Administrator

For the PS4, Sony wants pre-owned games to go Bye Bye

Hexus: Sony looks at disc-tag technology to block use of pre-owned games (Link)

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Past Admin

Re: For the PS4, Sony wants pre-ownd games to go Bye Bye

I guess I'll be going over to Microsoft then.

Gold Member

Re: For the PS4, Sony wants pre-owned games to go Bye Bye

But, will it run Linux?
    6r39 7r199

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by trigggl View Post
    But, will it run Linux?
    Probably not, but this associated link just may.

http://hexus.net/gaming/news/hardwar...console-ships/

Platinum Member

Steam, Gamefly and "apps" pretty much ended the stock of used games anyway. Also you can often find games on Steam cheaper than the used price would be. Guess i just figured this news didn't really apply to me

As far as the validity of this news though:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hexus
    Analysts still believe, in the USA at least, that Sony won’t implement a used games blocking system.
    Sony would be pretty stupid to implement this. Instead it's believed they're implementing it so if the game maker themselves decide to make this feature active for their game titles, the unit will be able to read it. It basically turns the game into a licensed product like an OS, instead of the disc itself being the proof of ownership. Also it would be unlawful to implement it in Europe at all. Either way, i never sell my games. They'll be collector's items some day

Overall though, i'm with Trigggl:
    Quote Originally Posted by trigggl
    But, will it run Linux?
    Since it'll have an AMD CPU and GPU, we can only hope

...This customized kernel may support specific versions of Linux only as a part of beta testing. Subsequently Sony will enable all version support after successful completion of beta testing.

But this time Sony is confident that they won’t block this feature, and that they have an alternative to block the security threats. An inside source also says Sony’s firmware upgrade during the release of PlayStation 4 will re-enable the other OS support in PlayStation 3 as well. So it’s good news for PlayStation 3 owners too after suffering for couple of years. Moreover it’s believed to be a gamble to boost PlayStation 4 sales.
    Last edited by John P. Myers; 01-05-13 at 11:14 PM.

Diamond Member

Sony has a long, long history of trying to implement proprietary formats, intended to give them more control, and make them more money. Anyone remember the memory sticks for their PDAs?

Almost every one of them has failed, thankfully. The notable exception is blu-ray.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Past Admin

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    Sony has a long, long history of trying to implement proprietary formats, intended to give them more control, and make them more money. Anyone remember the memory sticks for their PDAs?

Almost every one of them has failed, thankfully. The notable exception is blu-ray.
    Betamax= fail

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike029 View Post
    Betamax= fail
    You can't blame the technology there through. Betamax was better than VHS in most ways but VHS on SLP mode could record an entire movie and I don't think the betamax could record more than an hour.
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Slicker View Post
    You can't blame the technology there through. Betamax was better than VHS in most ways but VHS on SLP mode could record an entire movie and I don't think the betamax could record more than an hour.
    Not true at least for the Sony Betamax unit I owned. I could fit 3~4 episodes of STTNG on a single Betamax tape. Also, I still have the studio release of ST:TOS's The Menagerie on Betamax

The real reason for Betamax's failure? Royalties. JVC was basically giving away rights to VHS, pennies per unit sale (tape or machine), while Sony wanted a Kings ransom per unit sale, though I do not recall the figures. Since Pre-recorded movies were the true driving force of market penetration, VHS was vastly outpacing Betamax on new releases. Some times I had to wait weeks/months after a VHS release of a feature film, before I could rent it in Betamax.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Platinum Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast