Thread: Yafu and Prima

Platinum Member

Yafu and Prima

Came in this morning and while checking some boxes remotely, noticed when I went back to my main machine, Prima was running on 1 core. Since it's an I7, I looked to see what else might be running. Only FreeHal and Wuprop. Thought maybe that Prima went the way of others and was using all 8 cores for 1 WU. Check a Dual core and it was running 2. Went back and checked preferences. Everything looked good. Ran CPU-Z and it said I had 1 core and 1 thread. Did a reboot and everything went back to normal running 8 Prima WU's. Not sure wtf was going on. Only thing I can think of was some relationship between what Yafu was using before it went back to Prima. Any thoughts? Don't want to see that again.

Joined Original Message Board: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:47 pm, Currently with 11298 Posts

If it ain't crunch'n, unplug it!

Diamond Member

Re: Yafu and Prima

MT tasks want to use all available cores. Let's say you are running 8 individual tasks, and BOINC wants to switch to an MT task. BOINC will let each of the individual tasks complete, and not start any more. So BOINC will be running 8, then 7, then 6....then 1. Once all 8 individual tasks are complete, it will start the MT task. So during the run-down period, you will have idle cores.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Platinum Member

That very well could have been the case. Was just a little shocked to so many cores idle and have CPU-Z say that it was a 1 core machine.

Joined Original Message Board: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:47 pm, Currently with 11298 Posts

If it ain't crunch'n, unplug it!

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Crazybob View Post
    That very well could have been the case. Was just a little shocked to so many cores idle and have CPU-Z say that it was a 1 core machine.
    Yafu would not affect CPU-Z, at least not directly. It sounds like a hardware issue since (IIRC) CPU-Z reads the hardware, including CPU, directly. It uses some polling technique to grab hardware IDs and such. So CPU-Z calling a quad-care something else would indicate a problem with the hardware. Maybe something is overheating or being under-volted.

I would suggest a visual inspection of that system, clean out any dust and physically reseat all cards and connectors. Then power up and look for anything that is not working like it should. Also inspect any diagnostic LEDs/displays and check them against the trouble-codes listed in your user manual. If all is well then consider running Prime95 for an hour or so. It is used to stress test CPU and RAM, and does it very well. If P95 detects any serious errors it will automatically shut down the test. One other test to run is memtest86+ which is included in your Win7 install disk or can be booted from a USB thumb drive.

Forgot to add that before you run P95 consider resetting BIOS to factory defaults and maybe backup your BIOS if your system has that feature.

If all that checks out okay then I would suggest running all the usual maintenance utilities like Malwarebytes, anti-virus, disk defrag, CCleaner, and if you have it, run a registry defrag.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6