Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8800 GT: OC experience?

Past Administrator

Re: 8800 GT: OC experience?

Quote Originally Posted by trigggl View Post
    That's what I'm thinking. There's the law of diminishing returns. No need to create more heat and burn more energy for minimal gain. I've down-clocked my 9800 GT and it does just fine on POEM. That card gets too hot for the level of performance you get out of it and they don't over-clock well anyway.
    Is that was a stock cooler? My 88s with the Zalman VF1000 @705 OC always ran cooler then my stock 4850s did near stock clocks.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    Is that was a stock cooler? My 88s with the Zalman VF1000 @705 OC always ran cooler then my stock 4850s did near stock clocks.
    Affirmative, that ridiculous "cooler" is still on it.
    6r39 7r199

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Matt View Post
    Definitely increasing GPU clock has little effect on total output, the shaders matter.
    Very true. I used to drop the core below stock speed to save on heat, leave memory at stock and only OC the shader. Core does 100% nothing on the older Nvidia cards.

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    Very true. I used to drop the core below stock speed to save on heat, leave memory at stock and only OC the shader. Core does 100% nothing on the older Nvidia cards.
    There's a nice app for instant feedback on changes, unfortunately it does not work with cards after GTX 295. http://cuda-z.sourceforge.net/

Past Administrator
    So the only reason we increase the core clock now is because it's hard linked to the shaders? On the old cards they were not linked, right? I actually have an old 8800 GT from one of our buddies in the old Dell rig, and I should try this on it!
    What's a good "safe" max temp for these older GPUs to handle?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    So the only reason we increase the core clock now is because it's hard linked to the shaders? On the old cards they were not linked, right? I actually have an old 8800 GT from one of our buddies in the old Dell rig, and I should try this on it!
    What's a good "safe" max temp for these older GPUs to handle?
    Exactly. This was my first big blow when holding the 570 in my hands and I realized shader and GPU now are linked, just as on ATI... For crunchers it just was perfect before. 'Just' been missing a project with return.

I really forgot the temps I had, sorry. But they should not get really hot with POEM. If they do nevertheless, I would not OC them as this would indicate they are using more juice compared to big new cards.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12