Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Greetings from Portugal!

BlkJack-21

Re: Greetings from Portugal!

welcome to the boards pinhodecarlos

Gold Member

Did you guys see the latest NFS@Home news report? -->>> http://escatter11.fullerton.edu/nfs/...ead.php?id=372
    10 RSALS-sized (aka RSA) numbers were already factored, now NFS@Home just needs the power. If you don't want the NFS@Home WUs to use more RAM than the current RSALS WUs do, you'll have to make sure, in the preferences of your account on NFS@Home ( http://escatter11.fullerton.edu/nfs/...subset=project ), that "lasieved" is the only enabled siever.

Gold Member

Welcome, great to have you here!

Past Admin

Quote Originally Posted by pinhodecarlos View Post
    Hi all,

Just introducing myself to the SETI.USA community. I am from Portugal and I usually do some backstage crunching for RSALS (aka RSA) and NFS@Home when integers sieved via BOINC by these two projects are available for post-processing phase. I don't get BOINC credit for it, just do it for the math and fun..lol
    My interests are in the math world more precisely factoring integers by different methods like ecm, GNFS and SNFS, but more likely from the latter.

Best regards,

Carlos Pinho

PS( Hey Mike029, I am here!)
    Glad to have your Carlos. I guess it's safe to say that there will not be any more work units coming from RSA? Too bad, we were so close. Ahh well. I'll grab some NFS after the SIMAP challenge. Your welcome to joins us there on the stomp.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike029 View Post
    Glad to have your Carlos. I guess it's safe to say that there will not be any more work units coming from RSA? Too bad, we were so close. Ahh well. I'll grab some NFS after the SIMAP challenge. Your welcome to joins us there on the stomp.
    100 % sure Mike. All numbers have been reserved, 6 left. At the moment I post the reservation table has not been updated.
    Thanks you for the invitation but I am already post-processing numbers for NFS (5_492_plus1 ), you can look here: http://escatter11.fullerton.edu/nfs/crunching.php.

Carlos

Gold Member

Sorry for the late reply.
    Yes, it is safe to say that there will not be any more work units coming from RSA. Now it's time to run NFS@Home lasieved application.
    Thank you for the invitation to run the SIMAP challenge but my machine is reserved to do the backstage work (post-processing) you guys do at boinc NFS@Home.

Carlos

Gold Member

Greg just added a new progress page for lasievee application hosted at http://escatter11.fullerton.edu/nfs/crunching_e.php.

Gold Member

Here some numbers on factorizations done so far by NFS@Home (Greg's comments).

For the largest so far, 2,1061-, the files total 125 GB including an 86 GB text file containing the relations and a 37 GB binary matrix file.

Once we have completed a factorization, I typically delete the associated files. However, I have saved the recent largest factorizations:

58G ./6p379
    111G ./2p997
    125G ./2m1061
    57G ./5p433
    118G ./2m1031
    113G ./5m409
    58G ./3m607
    636G .
    Someone asked why the LA must be ran on Greg's machine and not on members? (here the mention to his computer is wrong because Greg is using some clusters at university)

Greg's reply (only true for lasievee application):

The linear algebra algorithm requires nearly constant communication of a large amount of data between all of the computers used in the calculation, so it must be done on a local cluster connected with a high-speed network. The Infiniband network that the cluster has provides 10 Gbit/s bandwidth in each direction for each computer with a communication latency less than 2 microseconds.

Gold Member

I would like to share one thing with the team. I'll be doing some backstage sieve on/to NFS@Home so I joined SETI.USA team so that the credits could be added to the team. Take care. Carlos Pinho.

Diamond Member

Carlos Pinho:

Is been very interesting our exchange of Private Messages in this last few times. It was quite a surprise to me that factorization as such an huge influence on other sciences including on the study of DNA and in the search of the cure for multiples diseases (as cancer).

It seems a pity to me that this utility given to this mathematics field is not well known from general public, what maybe is not helping NFS development and research. I know that is in the Project page but it is so hidden that seems to be a minor issue and it is not, IS OF THE MOST IMPORTANCE.

A lot of BOINC crunchers have a real passion with the search for the cure of diseases and would be very happy to help NFS, if they could understand the importance of factorization and sieving as you explained to me.

I say you should prepare and write one (or more) articles about this interdependence, as simple as you can put it because simple things are more effective.

I can imagine that kind of knowledge, can only benefit NFS because some crunchers could dedicate a part of their crunching power to help you (all of you) that are more connected with the project. I say the benefit would be enormous. What do you say Carlos? Do you have time for it?

Ricardo Ferreira
    Friends are like diamonds and diamonds are forever

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast