Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Laptop ideas (part deux)

Platinum Member

Re: Laptop ideas (part deux)

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    Hi Denim,
    If you're mainly focused on CPU projects, I wouldn't base the decision off whether you can run one as a "pseudo 8 core" or not. If other factors point toward that model, that's great and *may* be a slight gain in some projects. However, I know during the long 13 day PG Challenge we had with PG, many of the high end German rigs were turning OFF their HT, because it was running more than twice as long with it on.

For example, if it took 1 hr. for the i7 to spit out 4 WUs with HT off, it took more than 2 hr.s to chew through 8, so it was actually less credits per hr. with the HT on. They were all telling each other to turn HT off once they figured that out.

Just something to consider and of course, might not hold true for every project.

I would be real tempted to get which ever model has a better graphics card. And not just for crunching, but for actual use - sometimes graphics in a lappy can be a real dog!
    Thanks, I did not know about the HT issue.

Past Administrator

My wife has a nice Core2Duo Lappy with the 6MB cache cpu, SSD drive, 4GB DDR2 and a 8400M GS in it. She wanted a "super thin" one, and that was the best GPU we could find at the time in a "super thin" type laptop. It does usual Win7 stuff / web/ office great, Photoshop "good", and AutoCAD "OK", and that would be subjective comparisons to my desktop rig.
    I use hers at least once a week for something, and with that fresh in my mind, I would definitely be looking to get the best GPU you can get your hands on in what ever form factor of laptop you're looking at, because if you're going to have it for 3+ years, the first thing that will feel "slow" or outdated to you, or hold you back from running future programs, is the graphics card.
    Best of luck, please keep showing us the choices you've narrowed it down to!

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by denim View Post
    Thank you for all the feedback guys. I am hesitant with HP, I have had bad luck with more then a number of HP machines. Never owned an ACER or MSI. The Lenovo's CS history is a turn off. I was checking out the MSI's last go round.

For the Lenovo, would it be able to run as a pseudo 8-core with the i7? Was able to do that for a little while on a friends i7 920 for a little while. I tend to focus on CPU based projects, hence the question in terms of the MSI's i5 in comparison.

Now, would the feature set on this Toshiba be worth the few extra dollars?: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...scrollFullInfo

I really like that Qosimo. Sweet setup and it is AutoCAD certified. Overall It has good user reviews on NewEgg. The one bad review was from an owner who was too brain dead to realize he/she had a faulty power brick. All of his/her complaints are related to it. It is generating a ton of EMI.

Anyhow check out the user Qosimo user manual here. That should help with the decision process.

In terms of bloatware, there is no way to avoid it on mass market systems. The only way to get around it (assuming of course this does not void your warranty) is to delete all the partitions with a partition manager like gparted and install the OS from retail media. You will have to grab the system drivers from the manufacture's website. Just skip anything that is labeled "Value Added", "Recovery", "Assistance" and the like. Those are the things loaded with bloatware/spyware. Dell is one of the worst in this respect.
    Last edited by Fire$torm; 12-09-10 at 04:32 PM.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Platinum Member

Sounds good, I think I am really liking the MSI's. I guess I can budget a few more if need be. Here are a few more comparable ones to the first MSI that Maxwell posted:

Maxwell's suggestion:
    MSI GX640-260US: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834152207

Very similar MSI ~ larger screen, 5870 GPU, smaller HD:
    MSI GX740-235US: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834152206

Different MSI ~ slightly faster CPU, 5870GPU, 2x USB 3.0, best speakers, lower res, more $$:
    MSI GX660-260US: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834152231

Very similar to first MSI ~ better GPU, lower res, more $$$:
    MSI GX660-053US: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834152205

Similar to 2nd listed MSI ~ i7 CPU, better GPU, more $$$, but rebate:
    MSI GX740-079US: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834152192

Thanks guys, I have just hit my limit and I need to get a trusty laptop soon. I am curious about MSI's, but I have yet to read much of anything negative about them, well yet to read much about them at all outside of Newegg reviews.

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    Dude! Mark this date on the calendar: Maxwell and I are in agreement on something! Just had to razz Mr. MM himself a little.
    Great minds think alike. And when they don't, I'm right and the other minds are wrong. This simple rule has gotten me far in life...

And I'm not seeing where that Toshiba has a SSD - I saw one dude put one in there, but not that it comes pre-installed...

I'm still siding with the MSI - seems to go really well with graphics-intensive stuff.

EDIT:
    I would go with this one, if it were me. Even better GPU for the same $$. The others don't strike me as being worth the extra money for what it sounds like you need.
    Last edited by Maxwell; 12-09-10 at 04:38 PM.

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    I really like that Qosimo. Sweet setup and it is AutoCAD certified. Overall It has good user reviews on NewEgg. The one bad review was from an owner who was too brain dead to realize he/she had a faulty power brick. All of his/her complaints are related to it. It is generating a ton of EMI.

Anyhow check out the user Qosimo user manual here. That should help with the decision process.

In terms of bloatware, there is no way to avoid it on mass market systems. The only way to get around it (assuming of course this does not void your warranty) is to delete all the partitions with a partition manager like gparted and install the OS from retail media. You will have to grab the system drivers from the manufacture's website. Just skip anything that is labeled "Value Added", "Recovery", "Assistance" and the like. Those are the things loaded with bloatware/spyware. Dell is one of the worst in this respect.
    Toshiba is my first preference, and that one I linked is the closest one to a desk top in laptop form. I am not that worried about bloatware, just wanted to avoid what I could. Thanks for the link.

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
    Great minds think alike. And when they don't, I'm right and the other minds are wrong. This simple rule has gotten me far in life...

And I'm not seeing where that Toshiba has a SSD - I saw one dude put one in there, but not that it comes pre-installed...

I'm still siding with the MSI - seems to go really well with graphics-intensive stuff.

EDIT:

I would go with this one, if it were me. Even better GPU for the same $$. The others don't strike me as being worth the extra money for what it sounds like you need.
    Crap, did I mis-read that?

Platinum Member

Crap, did I mis-read that?
    I think so - the specs of it only indicate a 7200RPM Sata drive...

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
    I think so - the specs of it only indicate a 7200RPM Sata drive...
    Me thinks the SSD is an UPGRADE option.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Past Administrator

Hi again,
    My vote with the current budget is for this one:

You can always add a bigger HDD or more likely, a high speed SSD later, when you have the funds and they drop in price.
    You can't change the screen easily or cheaply, so for AutoCAD, I'd definitely go with the bigger screen. And for a laptop, I can't see where an i7 would be any better than an i5, especially considering the i5 is clocked quite a bit higher than the i7 in your price range. You will love that 5870, no question there!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast