Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HP 2230s troubles.

Silver Member

HP 2230s troubles.

I have an HP 2230s that keeps shutting off. It will run in safe mode with networking but dies during a normal windows start up. Any ideas?

I want to keep it crunching if I can.

Platinum Member

Re: HP 2230s troubles.

How long does it run in normal mode before it shuts off? Could be a heat-related issue. Might be the CPU heatsink and/or fan is failing.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    How long does it run in normal mode before it shuts off? Could be a heat-related issue. Might be the CPU heatsink and/or fan is failing.
    Only partially boots in normal mode and then click it's off. When it asks to boot in safe mode I can get it to run with networking enabled for a while then it reboots itself randomly and ends up in windows runs a bit then reboots and dies during reboot.

Fan is running and it dies even if I place it on an ac vent which keeps it ice cold.

Past Administrator

Aw man. I'm definitely not the laptop guy (as evidenced in my recent help me upgrade my laptop thread) but...isn't that a sign of either a driver conflict or a hardware failure? Sounds like it's not running long enough to get very hot at all. I think if it boots in safe mode, but doesn't boot in regular mode, then either the registry is corrupted or there is some kind of driver conflict as it tries to load "specific" drivers in regular mode, and fails - yet in safe mode with generic drivers, it seems to boot.
    Either way - I'd say if you can spare about 2 to 3 hours of your life one of these days, you could try blowing out the HDD and do a fresh install of Windows. If it fails after that, then I'd say it must be some kind of hardware issue.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    Aw man. I'm definitely not the laptop guy (as evidenced in my recent help me upgrade my laptop thread) but...isn't that a sign of either a driver conflict or a hardware failure? Sounds like it's not running long enough to get very hot at all. I think if it boots in safe mode, but doesn't boot in regular mode, then either the registry is corrupted or there is some kind of driver conflict as it tries to load "specific" drivers in regular mode, and fails - yet in safe mode with generic drivers, it seems to boot.
    Either way - I'd say if you can spare about 2 to 3 hours of your life one of these days, you could try blowing out the HDD and do a fresh install of Windows. If it fails after that, then I'd say it must be some kind of hardware issue.
    Ok. Will reinstall Windows and let you know how that goes. Thanks Dr. Pop!

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainkarl1 View Post
    Ok. Will reinstall Windows and let you know how that goes. Thanks Dr. Pop!
    If per chance you have a Win7 install disk then you can test your memory with its built-in memtest86+ utility. Memtest will reveal any defects in your system RAM.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

If it is Win 7 you could also do a repair my computer or if you are going to blow away the HDD why not go to Microsoft.com and download the release preview of Win 8 for free for now.

RETIRED. NO JOB. NO MONEY. NO WORRIES!

Crunched SETI Classic to the end.

SETI@home classic workunits
    SETI@home classic CPU time 86,861 hours

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    If per chance you have a Win7 install disk then you can test your memory with its built-in memtest86+ utility. Memtest will reveal any defects in your system RAM.
    I am currently running diagnostics with HPs own built in software. I will use the memory test as well.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by c303a View Post
    If it is Win 7 you could also do a repair my computer or if you are going to blow away the HDD why not go to Microsoft.com and download the release preview of Win 8 for free for now.
    Great Idea will do when I get to that point. Unfortunately the computer quit during the windows install and wants me to f/disk the drive. May be a hardware issue after all.

Silver Member

I ran check disk and when I returned the blue screen was there with this message.

***Hardware Malfunction

Call your hardware vendor for support

*** The system has halted ***

I don't think anyone at Ace or Lowes is going to be able to help me so I am asking for insight here. What component do you think is fubar.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast