Thread: Changing MB

Administrator

Changing MB

Okay here's the deal ... I have an HP I7 system in a midtower. It has 2 HDD setup for Raid bit slicing. I'm moving the computer into a HAF 932 and changing the MB to an Asus so I can OC the processor and add a 2nd PCIe slot.

Question, since the HDD OS came installed from HP is it going to tell me no way Jose this isn't an HP MB or will it work? Does anyone have experience with doing something like this? I know the backup CDs for the OS will give the message this isn't an HP macine if you try to use them on another system .... I know this from experience

Platinum Member

Re: Changing MB

The only time I've switched a HDD, was with a site license of Win7x64, and it cued right up. It even went into a machine with pretty different hardware.

I guess I'm not sure. That's a pretty interesting question, though...

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Okay here's the deal ... I have an HP I7 system in a midtower. It has 2 HDD setup for Raid bit slicing. I'm moving the computer into a HAF 932 and changing the MB to an Asus so I can OC the processor and add a 2nd PCIe slot.

Question, since the HDD OS came installed from HP is it going to tell me no way Jose this isn't an HP MB or will it work? Does anyone have experience with doing something like this? I know the backup CDs for the OS will give the message this isn't an HP macine if you try to use them on another system .... I know this from experience
    OK here's the deal.
    1) Physically the HDD will work just fine.

2) About M$ Windows. It is generally a bad idea to move a HDD with Windows installed from one system to another unless all the hardware is identical. Windows has never worked well after a move like that, the few times I've tried it. Fresh install is the rule of thumb.

3) Mass market manufacture's Install/recovery CD's? I would not recommend using them on hardware that isn't made/configured by them. The license key itself is valid no matter if you use their install media or M$ retail media. There was a time not too long ago when this was not true but it caused M$ no end of grief and a ton of money to support all the variations to their OS. I personally never use Third-party branded Windows install media. Never.

4) if you do not have a retail copy of the Windows version stated on the License key then let me know. I have ISO's of, or can get any version of Windows. But I will only help with the version stated on the key.

5) I hope the RAID setup has its own controller card because I'm not sure if you can preserve data integrity if you used the old MB's on-board/integrated RAID.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Past Administrator

The RAID HDD setup will not work on another mobo unless it has the same controller. If it does have same HDD/RAID controller, and the BIOS recognizes the array then cool, everything will work fine. Otherwise, you will have to initialize a new array with the new controller.

The OS CD - well, that's a crap shoot. It probably won't be able to do a "recovery" type reinstall, but you don't want all their junk setup anyway!
    Sometimes you can pop that cd/DVD in and browse it to find the windows setup directory, and just bypass their thing, and install it manually.
    If that fails, do you have a win7 install DVD to use from any other rig? If not, I'll send you one, or try to FTP QN ISO onto my website for you or something. Your key will work just fine...
    Good luck with the project! What card are you thinking of throwing in that second pci-e slot?

Administrator

Thanks for the help on this one guys, I really know nothing about setting up Raid. It will probably be best just to buy a new HDD and do a clean install. I don't have installation discs for that machine just the backup CDs it created and I know that those won't work on anything other than an HP machine .... I've tried using them.

So I will just get a new HDD and do it the easy way.

When I return from TX next spring I plan on putting both 5970s into that machine but 750W isn't enough to do it now and I'm running out of time. When that is finally done then I will have the 2 old servers that I can drop 6970s into

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Thanks for the help on this one guys, I really know nothing about setting up Raid. It will probably be best just to buy a new HDD and do a clean install. I don't have installation discs for that machine just the backup CDs it created and I know that those won't work on anything other than an HP machine .... I've tried using them.

So I will just get a new HDD and do it the easy way.

When I return from TX next spring I plan on putting both 5970s into that machine but 750W isn't enough to do it now and I'm running out of time. When that is finally done then I will have the 2 old servers that I can drop 6970s into
    A new hard drive is always a nice addition but it is not necessary if you do not need it. Install your current hard drive in the new setup. Bootup the new computer with the Windows OS CD/DVD in the drive then when Windows installer prompts you to, select a HDD/Partition just have it reformat your drive. The advantage to installing on a new HDD is you don't have to worry about backing up your important data (read pron ). Just remember NOT to install the old hard drive until after the new one is setup with Windows. This will avoid the possibility of accidentally formatting the old drive.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Past Administrator

Like F$ said - if there's nothing important on that RAID array, just reformat them on the new box.
    If you need an OS disc, just say the word and I'll rip an ISO of mine and upload it to my website so you can yank it down tonight. All you'd have to do is burn it to disc and punch in your key and good to go.