Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4x dual GPUs...is it even possible on 110v?

Diamond Member

4x dual GPUs...is it even possible on 110v?

So I *still* have the captain's itch. And the discussion about that massive chassis only made it worse.

But that got me thinking.

4 GPU slots. Who needs them? You can usually get dual GPUs in a single card. So 4 GPUs need only two slots, really. The need for 4 slots is really the need for 8 GPUs. So the questions:

1) Can even that new evga 1500w PSU really drive (say) 4x 690s?

2) Assuming #1 is yes, can you plug this into a normal 110v plug and it will work? Is that possible?
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Platinum Member

Re: 4x dual GPUs...is it even possible on 110v?

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    So I *still* have the captain's itch. And the discussion about that massive chassis only made it worse.

But that got me thinking.

4 GPU slots. Who needs them? You can usually get dual GPUs in a single card. So 4 GPUs need only two slots, really. The need for 4 slots is really the need for 8 GPUs. So the questions:

1) Can even that new evga 1500w PSU really drive (say) 4x 690s?

2) Assuming #1 is yes, can you plug this into a normal 110v plug and it will work? Is that possible?
    #1, yes. Each 690 is listed as using a maximum of 300W, so if you've got your 690s all drawing the max, that leaves 300W for the rest of computer which is easily doable since everything other than the GPUs will probably only use 125-175W at the most.
    ***Note: the EVGA SuperNova wattage is the continuous rating, not the peak which other manufacturers use, meaning there's a bit more headroom with it than, say, a Corsair PSU.

As for #2, yes. If the computer is the only thing on the circuit, 20A is fine, which is what it probably is in your fuse box anyway. If not, you can get a 25A or 30A from home depot for like $10. No worries.

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    #1, yes. Each 690 is listed as using a maximum of 300W, so if you've got your 690s all drawing the max, that leaves 300W for the rest of computer which is easily doable since everything other than the GPUs will probably only use 125-175W at the most.
    ***Note: the EVGA SuperNova wattage is the continuous rating, not the peak which other manufacturers use, meaning there's a bit more headroom with it than, say, a Corsair PSU.

As for #2, yes. If the computer is the only thing on the circuit, 20A is fine, which is what it probably is in your fuse box anyway. If not, you can get a 25A or 30A from home depot for like $10. No worries.
    Thanks for the answers! Now, what about a dual CPU? Say E5? Still room?

Platinum Member

Thanks for the answers! Now, what about a dual CPU? Say E5? Still room?
    Ehhh....yeah, but there better be absolutely nothing else on the circuit lol
    Not even a nightlight. Seriously. And no overclocking. And no 7990s.

Upgrade to 25A to be safe.

Diamond Member

Heh. Got it. About upgrading the circuit...no wiring upgrades needed? Just the breaker?

Platinum Member

Heh. Got it. About upgrading the circuit...no wiring upgrades needed? Just the breaker?
    Depends. If you've got 10ga. wiring, you're fine up to 30A. If you've got 12ga., you can cheat with 25A. 14ga. and you'll have to upgrade. 16Ga. and you should sue someone (seriously)

Diamond Member

How to tell what gauge my electrical wiring is? My house was built in 2002, I think. So I thought to look up the codes of the day, to see what the minimum requirement was. But I'm not getting any google love.

Silver Member

How to tell what gauge my electrical wiring is? My house was built in 2002, I think. So I thought to look up the codes of the day, to see what the minimum requirement was. But I'm not getting any google love.
    At your local hardware/home improvement store, get a short length of 10, 12, 14 and 16 ga wire. Open up an outlet, carefully pull the electrical receptacle out a bit and compare . . . cutting power to the receptacle first is always good. Something like this can help locate the circuit breaker if the main panel is not labeled:

http://www.amazon.com/Extech-CB10-br...reaker+locator

If you don't already have one, you might want one of these to see how many watts or amps are actually being used. Might be useful for balancing load on the house circuits . . . electrical overloads can ruin your day if you have to stop crunching when they turn off the power to your house to put out the fire. On a good day the circuit breaker might trip if overloaded, on a bad day . . . maybe not. Do you know if Murphy worked on your house? I think he was at mine.

http://www.amazon.com/P3-Internation...=P3+watt+meter

Cruncher Pete

Guys. I urge you, DO NOT interfere, play with or do anything to your House Wiring for unless you are qualified to do so and have a licence you can do some major damage to your House or the loved ones that lived in it before it burned down. Call a Licenced Electrician to discuss your problems.

Silver Member

The boat I run needs 100amp 240 Volt Dockside power x2. Sometimes we have to combine 2 50 amp cords into 1 using what we call a smart Y. Seems like we are heading that way with the home brew super computer Z is planning for himself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast