Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CPU coolers - need advice

Silver Member

CPU coolers - need advice

The two systems that run most of my Boinc stuff both seem to run hot. One is a core 2 quad Q6600, socket LGA775. The other is an i7 2600K, socket LGA1155. I usually run them each at 75% cpu to keep the heat down, except during the Simap challenges. I don't really want to get into liquid cooling but would like something better than the stock Intel fans. Any recommendations for fans/heat sinks that aren't too expensive?

Platinum Member

Re: CPU coolers - need advice

What temps are they running at? That would give us an idea just how much extra cooling you need.

Past Admin

Quote Originally Posted by groundhog@seti.usa View Post
    The two systems that run most of my Boinc stuff both seem to run hot. One is a core 2 quad Q6600, socket LGA775. The other is an i7 2600K, socket LGA1155. I usually run them each at 75% cpu to keep the heat down, except during the Simap challenges. I don't really want to get into liquid cooling but would like something better than the stock Intel fans. Any recommendations for fans/heat sinks that aren't too expensive?
    Not sure waht your budget is but I love the h100 for my 2600k. I'm running at 4429 per core at 38 degrees running Poem. I'll post my SIMAP/Collatz numbers in a day or so. No much higher tho.

Silver Member

I had to do this with all 3 of my 775 core2duo these are short enough that they fit most cassings standing only about a half inch higher then most video cards. Also they come with a bracket to add a second fan if you need more cooling from it. they lowered my temp by over 10C over the stock intel heatsink even with a minor OC..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835103064

As for the I7 you may want to go with something better..

edit... the nice thing is it will fit the i7 so you could try it out and if its not enough throw it on the quad and get something with more umph but for the price its dirt cheap. i found em on sale for $15 with a $5 rebate
    Last edited by coronicus; 09-30-12 at 11:16 PM.

Administrator

I have 2 of these. They are fairly low profile and have worked well on my q6600. I run mine 24/7 @ 100%

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    What temps are they running at? That would give us an idea just how much extra cooling you need.
    Probably both run over 150 F when at 100%. The ASUS utility on the quad will set off the alarm when at 100% but seems OK at 75%.
    Last edited by groundhog@seti.usa; 09-30-12 at 11:53 PM.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by coronicus View Post
    I had to do this with all 3 of my 775 core2duo these are short enough that they fit most cassings standing only about a half inch higher then most video cards. Also they come with a bracket to add a second fan if you need more cooling from it. they lowered my temp by over 10C over the stock intel heatsink even with a minor OC..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835103064

As for the I7 you may want to go with something better..

edit... the nice thing is it will fit the i7 so you could try it out and if its not enough throw it on the quad and get something with more umph but for the price its dirt cheap. i found em on sale for $15 with a $5 rebate
    I think most of Cooler Master's Hyper series are good bets. I have two Hyper 212+ that work great. Note that you will need a case with good clearance for most any tower style cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by Al McAdams View Post
    I have 2 of these. They are fairly low profile and have worked well on my q6600. I run mine 24/7 @ 100%
    This style of cooler is great for systems without a lot of space especially in low profile cases.

One thing to remember about any air cooler. Make that two things. First, the larger the fan a cooler uses the less noise it probably makes. Second, with air cooling good air intake is a must. So if your case has only one intake fan then you really need to add at least a second. But stay away form cheap drive-bay mounted intake fan units. Most are a complete waste of money.

Edit: What make/model cases do you have?

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    What make/model cases do you have?
    The quad is in an Antec Sonata II and the i7 is in a Cooler Master HAF 922M. The Antec includes a plastic duct (removable) to route outside air from the back of the case to above the CPU fan.
    Last edited by groundhog@seti.usa; 10-01-12 at 12:28 AM.

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by groundhog@seti.usa View Post
    Probably both run over 150 F when at 100%. The ASUS utility on the quad will set off the alarm when at 100% but seems OK at 75%.
    150F (65.5C) is really not that bad. It's kind of on the edge of looking for something better or leaving it alone. Personally i wouldn't worry about it and save the money. Also i don't know what your airflow situation is like, but maybe adding a cheap intake fan would do the trick.

And why alarm at 100%? Our CPUs are supposed to hit 100%

Edit: Also most importantly, make sure you suck the dust out of your heatsink. That can easily add 10C to your temps when left unchecked. I personally use the hose attachment on household vacuums. Dustbuster types don't have the suction power for some of that stubborn dust.
    Last edited by John P. Myers; 10-01-12 at 12:50 AM.

Diamond Member

Right. Worry about it if/when you start getting instability or errors in your task results. Until then, things are fine.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast