Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CPU coolers - need advice

Silver Member

Re: CPU coolers - need advice

OK, I recorded some temps after the Simap challenge started.

i7 processor at 75% (6 cores) 148 F, at 100 % (8 cores) 154 F

Q6600 at 75 % (3 cores) 157 F, at 100 % (4 cores) 162 F

I always thought they should stay in the 140s or less. These seem high to me. I'll probably go with one of the Cooler Master units. The Hyper 212 is $20 after rebate right now.

Past Admin

Quote Originally Posted by groundhog@seti.usa View Post

I always thought they should stay in the 140s or less. These seem high to me. I'll probably go with one of the Cooler Master units. The Hyper 212 is $20 after rebate right now.
    Great low priced cooler. As F$ said make sure you have the room in the case.

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    150F (65.5C) is really not that bad. It's kind of on the edge of looking for something better or leaving it alone. Personally i wouldn't worry about it and save the money. Also i don't know what your airflow situation is like, but maybe adding a cheap intake fan would do the trick.

And why alarm at 100%? Our CPUs are supposed to hit 100%
    Some alarm settings by board manufacturers are simply off the mark. I learned that early at RKN forum on my first Asus 775 board... I think especially the ASUS tools are really bad. On OC I start worrying if getting beyond 75°C (single core) although the i7s don't seem to bother getting into the 80s. But I don't like that on permanent use.

I think a good mid-prize cooler is the Alpenföhn Brocken. Some great high-ends (and high-price) are the Super-Mega, Genesis and Noctua NH-D14. But except for the Super-Mega all of them are hard to handle in a case and can pose problems on mounting/compatibility. But brilliant in cooling.

Oh, and I do love liquid metal pads. But the burn-in is a bit risky...
    And I like real temp and TThrottle for reading temps on DC. For reading more, HW Monitor is great.
    Last edited by Mad Matt; 10-01-12 at 04:22 PM.

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by groundhog@seti.usa View Post

yeah your Q6600 is a bit too warm and it wouldn't hurt to shave a few degrees off the i7 either, especially if you decided to enter a PG LLR challenge. If your heatsinks are dust-free (seriously very super-important to check this first before you do anything else at all) and you have all the intake fans your case allows for, then it's time for a new heatsink, unfortunately. No need for me to suggest one as there are plenty of good suggestions in this thread already

Silver Member

Thanks for the info, guys. I ordered one of the Hyper 212 fans for now (limit one rebate). I can get another later. I know it will fit with the i7 since the picture on the Cooler Master site of the fan installed is in the same case as I have. I'll try it on the quad first, however since it needs the most help. It looks like enough room there also.

Matt, thanks for the info about the other monitoring programs. I remember using one when I had a Pentium 4. I really don't trust the ones that come with the boards. I'll try a different one.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Matt View Post
    Some alarm settings by board manufacturers are simply off the mark. I learned that early at RKN forum on my first Asus 775 board... I think especially the ASUS tools are really bad. On OC I start worrying if getting beyond 75°C (single core) although the i7s don't seem to bother getting into the 80s. But I don't like that on permanent use.

I think a good mid-prize cooler is the Alpenföhn Brocken. Some great high-ends (and high-price) are the Super-Mega, Genesis and Noctua NH-D14. But except for the Super-Mega all of them are hard to handle in a case and can pose problems on mounting/compatibility. But brilliant in cooling.

Oh, and I do love liquid metal pads. But the burn-in is a bit risky...
    And I like real temp and TThrottle for reading temps on DC. For reading more, HW Monitor is great.
    Those utils are good but how come nobody likes SpeedFan (Link)...??? I think its a great util.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Silver Member

Got the Hyper 212 today, two day service from Newegg. I don't want to shut down either system to dink around with the fans until after the challenge. Guess I'll wait until Monday. Thanks for all the help and information.

Diamond Member

tom's hardware study on cooling with Deepcool's Dracula And Arctic's Accelero Xtreme.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/dracul...iew-32538.html
    Friends are like diamonds and diamonds are forever

Past Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Buckingham View Post
    tom's hardware study on cooling with Deepcool's Dracula And Arctic's Accelero Xtreme.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/dracul...iew-32538.html
    Who lives close enough to NY and has five hours to spare so if I buy the ARCTIC COOLING ACCEL-X-7970 they can install it for me?

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Mike029 View Post
    Who lives close enough to NY and has five hours to spare so if I buy the ARCTIC COOLING ACCEL-X-7970 they can install it for me?
    Maybe take the family out for a Sunday drive, maybe get "lost" for a spell and find your way to my doorstep? And look the card and cooler just happen to be in your trunk!

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast