Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Winblows 8 Expected to Fail Miserably

Platinum Member

Winblows 8 Expected to Fail Miserably

http://www.legitreviews.com/news/14243/

Quote Originally Posted by CNET
    "With over 16 million active preview participants, Windows 8 is the most tested, reviewed and ready operating system in Microsoft's history," a spokeswoman said.
    Oh really?

Intel Chief Executive Paul Otellini slammed Windows 8 during a meeting with employees in Taiwan, according to a Bloomberg report, saying the operating system still has bugs and is being released before it's ready.
    Windows 8 is sitting at a mere 0.33%, just a fifth of what Windows 7 had achieved [at the same period of time before the official retail launch]

Past Administrator

Re: Winblows 8 Expected to Fail Miserably

Redmond would have to pay me some really serious cash before I would install Win8 on a real computer. But even if that daydream became reality, Win8 would only be installed on my old Dell laptop and sit in the corner of the room running the screensaver...... and nothing else.

I read one reviewer calling Win8 a mess, but a beautiful mess..... Wonder what he was smoking?

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    Redmond would have to pay me some really serious cash before I would install Win8 on a real computer. But even if that daydream became reality, Win8 would only be installed on my old Dell laptop and sit in the corner of the room running the screensaver...... and nothing else.

I read one reviewer calling Win8 a mess, but a beautiful mess..... Wonder what he was smoking?
    Probably not smoking but drinking the koolaid.

You'll never know what you're living for until you know what you're willing to die for.

Nuadormrac

The biggest bug of win8, is the one that's touted a feature, namely Metro. We're not talking phones Microsoft with a touch screen, we're talking a computer with a keyboard and mouse. No, I wouldn't want my computer to operate like a smart phone, as long as I interface with it through a mouse and keyboard.

Some have made the analogy of going from a command line to a GUI, but there's a difference, we had mice before that was proposed. If someone would have suggested Windows, without the invention of the mouse, and without it being available for my computer, I would not have wanted to use it. Sure, there are keyboard shortcuts, which can be great if they're used as shortcuts but if one had to use them in place of having no mouse at all, it would be too gosh darn encombersome. The UI needs to make sense with the input devices one has.

So I'll tell these bafoons where it's at. Until every computer which is pre-loaded with win8, has a touch screen monitor standard, I do NOT want Metro. On many phones it doesn't matter, because one can just touch the display and get it to do what one wants. But as to having to mouse around Metro, I have better things to do with my time... As long as the laptops and the like from Dell, from Compaq, from HP, and all others come without a touch screen, then I do NOT want Metro, OK? Want us to switch UI's, then give us input devices that make sense with the new UI, a mouse and keyboard makes no sense with Metro... Making the computer work like a phone, in concept does nothing for me, when the hardware one is interacting with it with, are still very different, physically...

GregK

win 7 is working fine i wont need to upgrade for yrs. actually xp is still a great o.s. if i could of bought xp at wally i would have.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by GregK View Post
    win 7 is working fine i wont need to upgrade for yrs. actually xp is still a great o.s. if i could of bought xp at wally i would have.
    To quote some of my friends that run a small IT shop

XP?
    XP is Windows shorthand for eXtra Problems

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

GregK

lol your talking to a guy that liked win me. that was on the box that i found seti.usa with but it had about 16 bits of ram or something like that so an upgrade came quick. like a week later! lol

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    To quote some of my friends that run a small IT shop
    lol especially since hardly anyone makes/updates/patches drivers for XP anymore. You can't even get an Nvidia driver for a GTX 690 on XP 32 or 64-bit. Windows also no longer supports/updates/patches XP. Using XP has got to be a very lonely experience

EDIT: oops Last i heard M$ was ending support for XP back in April. After just double checking, they seem to have extended it to April 2014. My bad :/
    Specifically:
    Support is ending for some versions of Windows

Support for Windows XP is ending on April 8, 2014.

Support for Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1) ended on July 12, 2011.

Support for Windows XP with Service Pack 2 (SP2) ended on July 13, 2010.*

* Note: There's no SP3 for the 64-bit version of Windows XP. If you’re running the 64-bit version of Windows XP with SP2, you have the latest service pack and will continue to be eligible for support and receive updates until April 8, 2014.
    Still no GTX 690 driver though.
    Last edited by John P. Myers; 10-03-12 at 08:47 PM.

Gold Member

I have Windows 8 on one machine. It's running boinc, though not as smoothly as I'd like. It often shows as disconnected from boinctasks (that I generally prefer to monitor it from) which is annoying.

Gold Member

I don't know if I'd want to touch something that may give me a "blue screen of death".
    6r39 7r199

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast