Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need home theater advice

Diamond Member

Need home theater advice

My current set up is a couple sources (DIRECTV and DVD), with video sources going into the TV, and audio sources going into the stereo, then out to the speakers (5.2). It is a horrible set up, requiring a crapload of remotes, and I'm the only one who can figure out how to make it work.

Anyway, I need to simplify this. I don't use the stereo for anything other than powering the speakers for the video source.

Is there a way to cut out the whole stereo box? In other words:

DIRECTV -> HDMI -> TV -> digital audio out -> ? -> 5.2 speakers (5.1 would be fine)
    DVD -> HDMI --------^

I think the "?" would have to be some sort of dumb amplifier. Does such a thing exist?

The goal here is the single DIRECTV remote would control everything. And before you ask, no, I don't want to work around this by getting a programmable remote to disguise the complexity.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Platinum Member

Re: Need home theater advise

Last edited by John P. Myers; 10-04-12 at 11:26 PM.

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    Hmm. I think that is way overkill for what I am looking for. That is $800, and the product desc is:

Sophisticated zone options include powered Zone 2 with party mode and Zone B dual HDMI outputs. Included WiFi Adapter and Yamaha AV Controller App provide simple network control in either Zone. Multi-point YPAO auto calibration expedites setup and ensures accuracy. Expand Apple® connectivity with AirPlay® and versatile USB input for iPad®. Enjoy the efficiency of ECO mode today and be ready for the future with 4k video up-scaling.
    I *think* I am looking for just a dumb amp. I have seen these "theater in a box" sets. 5-6 speakers with a box of some sort. But I already have the (very good) speakers.

Platinum Member

Yeah the issue is you can't use a dummy amp unless you get several of them. Surround sound requires signal processing capabilities, otherwise every speaker outputs the same sounds as every other speaker. Plain amps just take a signal, amplify and spit it out with no regard as to the location or type of speaker, though most will have frequency cutoffs for use with subwoofers.

I'm not a home theater guru so i could be way off on the more recent technologies but nothing popped up on my searches :/

Diamond Member

Yeah, my current receiver (12 years old now) lost it's center channel out. BUT I *really* don't want to replace it. Way too complicated, with way too many features that will never be used.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    I *think* I am looking for just a dumb amp. I have seen these "theater in a box" sets. 5-6 speakers with a box of some sort. But I already have the (very good) speakers.
    All you really need is an Audio Video (AV) Receiver or AV Amp if you do not listen to analog radio. All kinds out there at every price point you can imagine.

There are a few gotchas to look out for with AV units.

1) Bi-Directional HDMI Audio: This feature is a must for many if not most digital audio configs.

Audio Return Channel
    The new specification (HDMI v1.4) will add an Audio Return Channel that will reduce the number of cables required to deliver audio upstream for processing and playback. In cases where HDTVs are directly receiving audio and video content, this new Audio Return Channel allows the HDTV to send the audio stream to the A/V receiver over the HDMI cable, eliminating the need for an extra cable.
    2) HDMI Pass-through Ports: Another must have feature

Pass Through

HDMI cables carry audio and video signals with a single connection.

A pass through port for HDMI or any other signal simply forward the input signal, usually without changes. For an HDMI example, an AV receiver takes inputs from devices such as DVD players and cable and satellite receivers. It reads the audio signals from a selected input, amplifies them and sends them to external speakers, while "passing" the signal "through" to the viewing screen. Some AV receivers may remove the audio signal while passing through the video, but HDMI users consider this "pass through" because the video portion of the signal remains unchanged.
    3) Motorized Switches/Controls: On lower end AV units this is a likely point of failure. Although "High End" units are not completely immune either.

Some features to look for.

* Adjustable Input Level (Gain) controls: This feature is used to match volume levels for each input or source. This adjustment is made at or before the Preamp stage. Better units will have a level control for each input while lower end units may only have them for one or two inputs.

* Direct Source Input (Audio): This feature has different names depending on manufacturer but its function is simple. It by-passes all gain stages (circuits within the AV unit that increase or change source input) and feeds the final output directly. Its a purist thing but can have a profound impact on what you hear.

* PC Programmable Remote: This is a more esoteric feature but a nice one. Especially great when working up complex macros.

There are a lot of features available but you will never find two people who can agree on the "Important Ones".

I can do some digging though its been awhile for me. Just let me know.

F$
    Last edited by Fire$torm; 10-05-12 at 12:15 AM.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Diamond Member

Fpr "AV receiver", wiki says:

AV receivers or audio-video receivers are one of the many consumer electronics components typically found within a home theatre system. Their primary purpose is to amplify sound from a multitude of possible audio sources as well as route video signals to your TV from various sources. The user may program and configure a unit to take inputs from devices such as DVD players, VCRs etc. and easily select for which source he or she wants to route to their TV and have sound output.
    Dang. That is also way more than I want. Just a single audio source is fine (it will be coming from the TV, which is managing all this after all). And no routing of video sources required.

I want something simple. Single audio input -> speakers. With a way to adjust volume levels per channel.

Diamond Member

Maybe the solution is to buy one of the cheaper "theater in a box" solutions, and then just use my speakers instead?

Platinum Member

Maybe. I did another search and can't find any audio receivers 5.1+ that weren't also video receivers like the 2 i linked in my first post. I never realized it was so difficult to find just a plain audio receiver The only ones i did find were stereo which would turn your 5.2 into 2.0 Not cool.

Past Administrator

Hmmmm OK Z. One question, is the audio from the TV (Source) digital or analog?

Your solution would be a multi-channel amp (No pre-amp or tuner sections). I have seen 5 and 7 channel amps. The downside for one of these is price. Many AV manufacturers have down sized their lineups. And companies like Denon have gone esoteric with matching $2,000.00+ price tags like (These).

One company that offers a good product in the sub $1,000 range is Outlaw Audio's model 7075 7-channel amp @75W/CH. Personally I have never auditioned anything from Outlaw so I cannot offer any insight.

links

Model 7075 product page: http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/7075.html

User Manual PDF DL: http://pdf.outlawaudio.com/outlaw/docs/7075manual.pdf

Review: http://hometheaterreview.com/outlaw-...fier-reviewed/

Edit: Ignore everything above. You already answered my question in your first post.......

From a cost standpoint, you are better off buying a decent AV receiver and just not use all its features. Or run your sources through it rather then the TV. Why? Its the digital audio & video. There is no simple & low cost solution that I have seen. The market just won't or hasn't produced one.

You could still use the amp I mentioned above but you would have to add preamp/converter that accepts Toslink or HDMI audio and spits out analog. These will be very pricey units. They would start around $400~$600 and go up in price, way up!
    Last edited by Fire$torm; 10-05-12 at 05:35 AM.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast