Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need home theater advice

Diamond Member

Re: Need home theater advise

Good lord. I just noticed that I can't even spell "advice".
    Last edited by zombie67; 10-12-12 at 09:26 PM.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Diamond Member

Okay, I give up. What I want just isn't possible.

I now have:

DIREVTV DVR -> HDMI -> receiver
    blue ray DVD -> HDMI -> receiver

Then from the receiver -> HDMI -> TV, and receiver -> direct to speakers (5.2)

The result is I have:

DIRECTV remote to turn on/off the TV and the DVR, to change the channel, and mange the DVR
    DVD remote to turn on/off the DVD, and manage playback
    Receiver remote to turn on/off the receiver, change the source, adjust the volume

Is there a universal remote that will do all that, and is **EASY** to use and program? It needs to be so easy a guest can pick it up and use it without instruction. And it needs to be usable without looking at the buttons or an lcd screen. Something like the TIVO or DIRECTV remote, where you can tell the various buttons just by feel, after using it only a few times.

Or am I on another wild goose hunt?

Edit: After checking a few review sites, it looks like logitech is the way to go. And with only 4 items to manage (tv, dvd, receiver, dvd), the 650 seems to get the job done. thoughts?
    Last edited by zombie67; 10-24-12 at 09:32 PM.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    .......Is there a universal remote that will do all that, and is **EASY** to use and program? It needs to be so easy a guest can pick it up and use it without instruction. And it needs to be usable without looking at the buttons or an lcd screen. Something like the TIVO or DIRECTV remote, where you can tell the various buttons just by feel, after using it only a few times.

Or am I on another wild goose hunt?

Edit: After checking a few review sites, it looks like logitech is the way to go. And with only 4 items to manage (tv, dvd, receiver, dvd), the 650 seems to get the job done. thoughts?
    I think the best way to figure out which is best, is to get some hands on time at Best Buy (Just to look, not to buy) of any remotes you are interested in. Assuming of course they carry them.

Did you look over the list I posted? ---> http://www.setiusa.us/showthread.php...ll=1#post49167
    Btw, I did some editing on it.

Edit: I corrected the thread title. And for the record, I did not notice it either....

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Silver Member

Re: Need home theater advice

Yes logitech harmony stuff is awesome.. own one myself and very easy to program just plug in your model number in there online gui app and voila your good to go. Also with the online deal you can simply drag and drop keys in a gui format for special keys if you wanna move em or can learn directly from the remote source.

Diamond Member

I went with the harmony 650. Super simple to set up, and the "watch TV" macros (or whatever they are called) are perfect! A guest could figure this out easily, without any instruction.

Diamond Member

Friends are like diamonds and diamonds are forever

Silver Member

I went with the harmony 650. Super simple to set up, and the "watch TV" macros (or whatever they are called) are perfect! A guest could figure this out easily, without any instruction.
    Yeah i been fighting the remote deal with the wife for years having 5 remotes on the table makes her angry and have tried many dif remotes always something that wouldnt work right or the wife didnt like but with the harmony she finaly mastered it and no more table tops full of remotes.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by coronicus View Post
    Yeah i been fighting the remote deal with the wife for years having 5 remotes on the table makes her angry and have tried many dif remotes always something that wouldnt work right or the wife didnt like but with the harmony she finaly mastered it and no more table tops full of remotes.
    That's great Z.

Question to both of you guys. Do you think that remote would work well for someone with limited use of their hands? My Uncle is a quadriplegic and could use one "Good" remote. Also is the screen easy to view?

Thx,
    F$

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Platinum Member

Home theater speakers 40% off with promo code EMCJJJA33 (max discount of $240) Ends tonight at midnight PST
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc..._-Speakers-LB1

Past Administrator

Hey Z, I have a question for you.

With the Harmony 650, can you program it to mimic a M$ MCE remote? Looking at option for Z-Wave. Need a good remote for my handicapped Uncle.

Thx in advance,
    F$

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast