Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Donate@Home Uber Fail

Administrator
    I'm going to try using Atiman to uninstall and clean up all the old driver remnants to see if that cures my hanging problem. I used it last night on the box with the 7970 and after a clean install of 12.10 I was able to run Collatz without immediate computational errors. Using driver sweeper and cc cleaner obviously didn't get rid of everything. Hoping for as good of luck on Donate.

Past Administrator

Re: Donate@Home Uber Fail

Quote Originally Posted by Al McAdams View Post
    I'm going to try using Atiman to uninstall and clean up all the old driver remnants to see if that cures my hanging problem. I used it last night on the box with the 7970 and after a clean install of 12.10 I was able to run Collatz without immediate computational errors. Using driver sweeper and cc cleaner obviously didn't get rid of everything. Hoping for as good of luck on Donate.
    Well it can't hurt. Honestly though I have never had a problem with Drive sweeper. Which version of DS were you using?

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    Well it can't hurt. Honestly though I have never had a problem with Drive sweeper. Which version of DS were you using?
    This box has 2-5870's and a 570

3.2.0 on the DS. Okay, it didn't work out like I had hoped. For some reason, Atiman didn't want to remove anything on this box. I did use DS and cc cleaner again. I reinstalled 12.11 and now only one of the 5870's will run Donate, the other gets computational errors immediately upon starting. Prior to uninstalling and sweeping both would run Donate, but hang. I reinstalled the driver again, same problem. ATI-0 runs Donate ATI-1 fails. Right now I have 0 doing Donate and 1 doing Collatz. Both are running at factory clocks and voltages. This is just weird...any ideas. Curious to see if the one gpu running Donate hangs tomorrow morning.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Al McAdams View Post
    This box has 2-5870's and a 570

3.2.0 on the DS. Okay, it didn't work out.....
    I remember when I had 3x 4850s in my desktop I had to extend the Windows desktop across to the 2nd & 3rd GPU in order to get them to crunch. Can't hurt to give it a try.

BTW, since CCC 12.11 is beta, that could be your problem, or part of it. I would suggest CCC 12.6 as that is the most stable of the current versions for my setup.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Diamond Member

The problem with the stalled tasks has nothing to do with your machines. The tasks require to communicate with the bitcoin server. If that communication (via the donate app) fails, then the BOINC task idles forever. Not sure anything can be done from the client side to fix the issue. When a burp happens, it happens. Pause/restart or abort and start a new one, makes no difference.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Administrator
    Thanks for the suggestions, but Donate seems to require more tending than I'm willing to give it at this point. I'll keep the atis on Collatz or mw for the time being, they both crunch perfectly. If the problems ever subside at Donate I'll give it another try.

Friend of SETI.USA

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    If you use BoincTasks (BT) to manage your boxes then there is a way to make the systems babysit themselves. The only caveat with my solution is that it only works on the local machine. So you have to set this up on each box with BT.

I set BT to run a batch file from the BT Rules section when a Donate tasks exceeds x amount of time where x is equal to average runtime + 5 minutes.

Here is a sample of my batch file Donate_Fix.bat Note: Edit directory paths to match location of boinccmd.exe

Code:
    :@ECHO OFF

CLS

:BEGIN
    C:\PROGRAM FILES (x86)\BOINC\boinccmd --project http://donateathome.org/ nomorework

C:\PROGRAM FILES (x86)\BOINC\boinccmd --project http://donateathome.org/ suspend

CHOICE /N /D Y /T 10

C:\PROGRAM FILES (x86)\BOINC\boinccmd --project http://donateathome.org/ reset

CHOICE /N /D Y /T 15

C:\PROGRAM FILES (x86)\BOINC\boinccmd --project http://donateathome.org/ resume

CHOICE /N /D Y /T 5

C:\PROGRAM FILES (x86)\BOINC\boinccmd --project http://donateathome.org/ allowmorework

C:\PROGRAM FILES (x86)\BOINC\boinccmd --project http://donateathome.org/ update

:END

Exit
    To create a rule in BT goto main menu and click Extra > BoincTasks Settings. In the pop-up window click the Rules tab.

(Click to enlarge)
    F$, I run 2 Wu's @ a Time, they usually run about 18-20 Min's so what do I put in the 3 Choice Lines ??? Thanks, I'm trying to run Donate again, I can Babysit while I'm up but will shut the Project down when I go to bed rather than have the Wu's Hang. Will try the .bat file too, but can't do that until I know what to put in time wise for those 3 lines ...

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by STE\/E View Post
    F$, I run 2 Wu's @ a Time, they usually run about 18-20 Min's so what do I put in the 3 Choice Lines ??? Thanks, I'm trying to run Donate again, I can Babysit while I'm up but will shut the Project down when I go to bed rather than have the Wu's Hang. Will try the .bat file too, but can't do that until I know what to put in time wise for those 3 lines ...
    Yes, Choice is just being used as a timer to pause before the next command is read/executed, so you can adjust the number after /T (the number of seconds) to whatever you want them to be. The 3rd choice timer may not be necessary but it doesn't hurt anything to have it. The first two Choice lines I set based on my i7 920. Suspending most any project seems to lag on my i7. So if your systems respond faster to a manual suspend or reset from within BOINC Manager, you can shorten the 1st and 2nd Choice times.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Friend of SETI.USA

I set it up on just one Box & left the Times you had the same. I did set the rule for 21 Minutes though, I can run 2 in about 18-19 Minutes, anything over that & the Wu is probably Hung so 21 Minutes should work. I'll see if I have it right on the one Box before trying the others ...

Friend of SETI.USA

Weird, I just happened to be watching the one Box with the .bat file & it did Suspend the 2 Wu's after 21 Min's but then after 15 Min's of Suspension it still hadn't restarted the 2 Wu's ... ??? ... I had to manually restart the 2 Wu's

EDIT: Just had another Wu's Suspend after 21 Min's but had to Manually Restart it again ... sigh ... I think I've had it with this Project, it's just a PITA to try & run ...
    Last edited by STE\/E; 01-31-13 at 09:14 AM.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast