Thread: new ps and cards

GregK

new ps and cards

im ordering this in 2 weeks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antec-Earthw...item2ec2eace2d

to power the 6870 pwrguru just sent me the 2nd 460 will go in my main box! thanks a million!

so have a look at this psu and let me know if you can recommend a better one for the same $. just post a link. my e6300 box ps wont in any way power any more than a gt 240 or so. it has no pci-e 6 pins not even enough flat 4 pins to convert. those stock ps's suck anyway an upgrade will be nice.
    Last edited by GregK; 11-11-12 at 07:56 AM.

GregK

Re: new ps and cards

allright so i take it that psu is fine lol.

Past Admin

I don't know of any psu that could match that price. Let me know what you think when all is said and done.
    Last edited by Mike029; 11-13-12 at 10:36 AM.

Past Administrator

Hey Greg,

Sorry for not posting sooner but RL has been very busy lately. Anyhoot a 500W PSU is sorta on the cusp when it comes to powering GPUs, and then only cards with one PCIe power connector. Both of the cards you mentioned use two power connectors. Technically the PSU can handle such a card but the issue is longevity. And that is determined by the total load of the system on the PSU.

Put simply, The closer the computer comes to the power limit of a PSU, the faster that PSU will eventually fail. It's like a daily driver that is driven like its the 03 of Nascar. It can't really do it and it won't do it very long.

Late point: There are a few things that figure into the math like CPU power draw (which should never be confused with TDP), Nortbridge/Southbridge power usage, number of HDDs/Fans installed, stc,,,

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

GregK

thanks for the replies ill look into a 600w psu.

GregK

Silver Member

Just bought one of these to run the 660TI card... It runs quiet and cool.... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817371044

GregK

thanks pwrguru that should easily power the 6870 then. in my main box i have a 800+ watt bfg that should run the 460's just fine had it for 4-5 yrs now i think. im eager to get up and running so im gonna order the ps this friday! 1 million rac here i come!!!