Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lost fan on 5970

Past Administrator

Re: Lost fan on 5970

Quote Originally Posted by Al McAdams View Post
    The last one I got had to have the wire retainer modified, narrowed a bit, so it would seat correctly. It worked great for a couple of months then the rattle started. In all honesty, all of the exact replacements seem to have this same issue. I guess it's an exact replacement as long as you're willing to mod it a bit. As I'm finding out, there's not much choice here unfortunately.
    That is because the fan you got was not for the 5970. The 5xxx series fans are the same except for the retainer clip is different for the 5970. The reverse is probably true in Ste\/e's case.

Edit: That bad Accelero you mentioned might have a dead heat pipe. The first Accelero I ever bought had a bad heat pipe.
    Last edited by Fire$torm; 11-06-12 at 09:42 AM.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    That is because the fan you got was not for the 5970. The 5xxx series fans are the same except for the retainer clip is different for the 5970. The reverse is probably true in Ste\/e's case.

Edit: That bad Accelero you mentioned might have a dead heat pipe. The first Accelero I ever bought had a bad heat pipe.
    School me...how does a heat pipe go bad? Isn't it just heat transfer through contact?

Gold Member

Does anyone have a recommendation on a non OEM fan replacement for an xfx 5970? I just lost my 2nd one in 2 months.
    Start looking where you last saw it and re-trace your steps. Chances are, it is still in the case and attached to the GPU right where you left it. It is isn't there, you probably forgot to lock the case.
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Past Administrator

School me...how does a heat pipe go bad? Isn't it just heat transfer through contact?
    That's easy. It leaked. Either the heat pipe was not properly constructed at the factory or damaged by the owner.

Wikipedia on Heat Pipes (Link)

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Administrator
    Thank you.

Administrator

Got the replacement fan today. Interesting design, half of the wire retainer is recessed so it fits both the 5970 and 5870's without modification. The card itself...was a mess! Thermal pads were degraded and they must of used a half tube of thermal compound per processor. After a half hour of clean up I got it put back together and it's running MW 15 degrees cooler with 25% less fan.

Past Administrator

Sweet! Good job there mate

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12