Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Motherboard Choice ???

Friend of SETI.USA

Re: Motherboard Choice ???

Second Box is Rebuilt but it's DOA right now, all the fans are working but nothing comes up on the screen. Tried 2 different video cards but nothing, they were a GTX480 & a HD5870, going to try a GTX570 after I eat, I read in the reviews of the motherboard it doesn't want to recognize older cards so maybe a 570 will work. The 1'st build I had a 570 in it soooooooo it's worth a try, if that doesn't work i'll try different Memory. If that doesn't work I'll swap the Motherboard tomorrow, if that works I'll have to ship the Board in it now back to Newegg & hope I get a good one back ...

Quote Originally Posted by coronicus View Post
    Dont forget with these new motehrboards when overclocing you have to set the max Wattage for em in two places or the board will down clock the cpu..
    I just used the Overclock Genie that comes with the Board, CoreTemp said it was still running at the Stock 3.5GHZ Speed while RealTemp said it was running at 4.2GHZ. The on board overclocking software isn't noted for it's reliability so I may have to try manually OC'ing it after I read up a little how other guys are Overclocking the Board with the 3770k ...
    Last edited by STE\/E; 12-02-12 at 06:01 PM.

Platinum Member

No CPU-Z? Like windows, i think CoreTemp only reports stock info and will not show an increase when OCd or a decrease when in power saving mode. I could be wrong though..

Nevermind...no you're right. It should show it. Hmmm...

Friend of SETI.USA

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    No CPU-Z? Like windows, i think CoreTemp only reports stock info and will not show an increase when OCd or a decrease when in power saving mode. I could be wrong though..

Nevermind...no you're right. It should show it. Hmmm...
    CoreTemp will show a Overclock because I see it on the Box's I do have Overclocked. That's what was weird, CoreTemp din't show the OC but RealTemp did.

I got the 2'nd build to fire up, changed video cards & Memory but still no good so I ripped everything back out & looked at the Pin's for the CPU. Sure enough one looked like it was split in half, weird. Anywho I got another MBoard out & looked at the Pins first & they looked ok so I re-built it with the different MBoard. Still didn't fire up on the 1'st boot but the second boot it booted almost to windows then re-booted like the other one did. So I'll have to reload Win 7, probably will have to to all of them as I rebuild them ...

I tried to do a slipstream but the RT7 Lite kept locking up on me before I could do anything with it. Also the SP1 Update umps had me download wouldn't work by it's self, said It wasn't made for the Version of Win 7n I had (Win 7 Pro) ... I'll just do a Win 7 re-install in the morning ...

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by STE\/E View Post
    CoreTemp will show a Overclock because I see it on the Box's I do have Overclocked. That's what was weird, CoreTemp din't show the OC but RealTemp did.

I got the 2'nd build to fire up, changed video cards & Memory but still no good so I ripped everything back out & looked at the Pin's for the CPU. Sure enough one looked like it was split in half, weird. Anywho I got another MBoard out & looked at the Pins first & they looked ok so I re-built it with the different MBoard. Still didn't fire up on the 1'st boot but the second boot it booted almost to windows then re-booted like the other one did. So I'll have to reload Win 7, probably will have to to all of them as I rebuild them ...

I tried to do a slipstream but the RT7 Lite kept locking up on me before I could do anything with it. Also the SP1 Update umps had me download wouldn't work by it's self, said It wasn't made for the Version of Win 7n I had (Win 7 Pro) ... I'll just do a Win 7 re-install in the morning ...
    Well you are making progress so that is good.

The RT7 tool is finicky to be sure. A real PITA at times but it does work. One thing I've noticed, you should not be running any other programs when using the tool. I also shut down all background utils like Afterburner and such. Oh yeah, one more thing. RT7 is a lot faster if you have a second hard drive for it to do the slipstreaming on.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Friend of SETI.USA

Whew, just spent about 4 Hr's Modifying my Full Tower SilverStone Case so I could mount one of the Corsair H80's to the outside of the case. Got it mounted now, will put the New parts in after I eat & install the new OS tomorrow morning ... Got the 3'rd rebuild up & running this morning so the Silverstone will be the 4'th when I get it running ...

Friend of SETI.USA

7 Box's rebuilt & online so far, will get 2 more done probably tomorrow or Saturday at the latest. 1 Box will have to wait for parts, I sent 1 Corsair H80 DOA & 1 ASRock Motherboard DOA back today. The Motherboard will be replaced by Newegg but it'll probably be about a 2 week turn around if not longer. The Corsair H80 I ordered a new one from TigerDirect for $84 with a $15 Rebate to bring it down to $69. Hopefully nothings wrong with the Parts I have left for the 2 Box's I'll rebuild shortly. I know the Coolers are good because I tested them already, so as long as nothings wrong with the 2 Motherboards I have left I should be okay ...
    Last edited by STE\/E; 12-06-12 at 06:53 AM.

Past Administrator

Great news on the running hardware. For those H80s, that is not a bad average for used/refurbished parts. good luck on the other two systems.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Friend of SETI.USA

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    Great news on the running hardware. For those H80s, that is not a bad average for used/refurbished parts. good luck on the other two systems.
    Yeah, was hoping for 8 or 9 of the H80 coolers to be working ones, looks like 9 will make it. Got the 8'th Box done this morning already, should be able to get the 9'th one done this afternoon. Then I can get back to a normal life again & wait for the parts for the 10'th Box to come in ...

Friend of SETI.USA

Quote Originally Posted by Mumps View Post
    windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe Will be the 64 bit version of the SP
    windows6.1-KB976932-X86.exe Is the 32 bit version

The rest are Symbol tables to aid in Debugging if you commonly work with Microsoft to troubleshoot errors.

Don't expect you'd ever have run in to the Itanium version. IA64.
    I installed SP1 on 1 of the 3770k Box's several days ago using the Windows Updater & the KB976932-X64 is what the Windows Updater installed. But if I Download the KB976932-X64.exe which I did like you said to do it won't install, something about the SP1 Service Pack I'm using isn't the right one for my OS, all I can think is that other things need to be Updated first before I try & install the SP1 Update. Not that big a deal, the Box with the SP1 Update doesn't run any faster than the ones without it ...

Friend of SETI.USA

Whoopee, got 9 rebuilt & running in 5 days, waiting for the parts for the 10'th rebuild, not bad for a country boy ...

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast