Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Motherboard Choice ???

Past Administrator

Re: Motherboard Choice ???

Hehehee. Good job.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Friend of SETI.USA

Downloaded this SP1 Update windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe 903.2 MB to a USB Stick & it installed in about 30 Min's, beats downloading Win 7 SP1 to every Box over my wireless Network, takes forever ...

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by STE\/E View Post
    Downloaded this SP1 Update windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe 903.2 MB to a USB Stick & it installed in about 30 Min's, beats downloading Win 7 SP1 to every Box over my wireless Network, takes forever ...

Would like to speed up installing Windows 7? And do have have a 6GB or larger thumb drive?

If you've answered yes to both of these questions, then use WinSetupFromUSB (Link) to copy Windows 7 installer DVD to your thumb drive.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Friend of SETI.USA

I give up, I'd love to have a bootable USB Drive but nothing works for me, always can't find something or another. I even tried this > http://www.intowindows.com/bootable-usb/ ... every thing work up until the last command, then it couldn't find the bootsect.exe no matter what Drive letter I used ...

F:\>BOOTSECT.EXE /NT60 H:
    'BOOTSECT.EXE' is not recognized as
    operable program or batch file.
    Last edited by STE\/E; 12-07-12 at 09:12 AM.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by STE\/E View Post
    I give up, I'd love to have a bootable USB Drive but nothing works for me, always can't find something or another. I even tried this > http://www.intowindows.com/bootable-usb/ ... every thing work up until the last command, then it couldn't find the bootsect.exe no matter what Drive letter I used ...

F:\>BOOTSECT.EXE /NT60 H:
    'BOOTSECT.EXE' is not recognized as
    operable program or batch file.
    Me thinks I know the problem. Not all thumb drives work as bootable devices. More of an issue with USB 1.0 & USB 3.0 sticks. I have a generic Micro Center 2GB stick & a Patriot XT 8GB stick. Both are USB 2.0 and both are used for bootable OS installs. 2GB for Ubuntu/WinXP and 8GB for Win7.

I did some checking and Directron has the Patriot unit, $11.99 + $5.00 Priority Mail Shipping (Link) and I found one on eBay for the same total (Link)

Micro Center has a house branded 8GB unit for $5.99 + $1.00 shipping + tax (MI tax = $0.36) (Link)

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Friend of SETI.USA

I may have finally got 1 of my USB Drives to be Bootable, not fer sure though but when I put it in it says it's a ARIS Bootable Drive. I'll find out fer sure when I get the Parts to finish the 10'th Box in a week or two. I had already ordered 2 16 GB Drives fron Newegg before I seen your post, may go ahead and get a few from Microcenter anyway.

Installed Win 7 SP1 on the other 8 rebuilds this morning, took me less than 50 min's to do all 8 lol I just started one then kept going thru the other 7, by that time the 1'st one was done & I defraged the drive & started BOINC back up, did the same to the other 7 ...

Friend of SETI.USA

I'm looking to still Sell Off some of the Parts I took out to do the Rebuilds I just did. no reasonable off will be refused. Please just PM me if

interested in any thing rather than Post in this Thread so this Post stays on top of the Thread ... Thanks

Older Parts:
    9 Quad Core Q6600 CPU's
    1 Quad Core Q6700 Extreme CPU
    1 Dual Core 6800 Extreme

4 Gigabyte GA-EX38-DQ6 Motherboards
    1 Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6 Motherboard
    6 Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 Motherboards

1 Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5 Motherboard
    1 ASUS P5W-DH-Deluxe Motherboard

1 Set of Patriot PC2-8500 2x2GB Memory
    5 Sets of Corsair 8500 CD5 2x1024GB Memory
    28 Dimm's of Corsair 10224GB XMS2 Memory

==========

A little newer stuff I'm still running but willing to sell:

1 Intel i7 920 will include a Monsoon III LT Fan along with original Fan
    1 Gigabyte EX58-Extreme Motherboard Original Box & never used Accessories Included

2 AMD Black Edition 1090T CPU's with Original Fan & Box
    2 Gigabyte 890FX-UD% Motherboards with Original Box & Never used Accessories Included

Thanks, Steve
    Last edited by STE\/E; 12-16-12 at 08:38 AM.

Friend of SETI.USA

Got 2 more ASRock Extreme4 Motherboards in last night to go with the 2 3770k's that have been sitting idle for a week now, guess what I'll be doing today Didn't think they were going to come, went to bed & they hadn't arrived yet but when I got up & turned on the porch light there they were. UPS must have come after 10PM ...

Draconian

I'm running an Asus Sabretooth X79 (2011) with a 3930K. Not overclocking at all - but it will EASILY overclock and is stable with 64GB RAM. Cool and quiet - no matter how hard I push it and I'm air cooled.
    Know you guys all know this..but - I will say anyway. So many folks have great motherboards - and then they skimp on a budget PS - and then complain that the motherboard isn't stable. Uhh..hello? That 1500 watt PS for 30 bucks that weighs a half pound - is FAR from a bargain! My preference is PC Power and Cooling - however - there are MANY GREAT power supplies out there. Sure - that 30 special is a PS - but - actually...a PoS....

Friend of SETI.USA

You mean people actually spend $30 for a PSU ...

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast