Thread: BOINC & Ububtu 12.04

Friend of SETI.USA

BOINC & Ububtu 12.04

I installed Ubuntu 12.04 on a USB Drive and for the heck of it am running BOINC right off the USB Drive, How do I get the Advanced View to show up ??? no amount of clicking shows anyn menue for the Advanced view. The Version of BOINC installed is 7.0.27 ...

Gold Member

Re: BOINC & Ububtu 12.04

Quote Originally Posted by STE\/E View Post
    I installed Ubuntu 12.04 on a USB Drive and for the heck of it am running BOINC right off the USB Drive, How do I get the Advanced View to show up ??? no amount of clicking shows anyn menue for the Advanced view. The Version of BOINC installed is 7.0.27 ...
    You need to pass the mouse cursor upper on the window so that the menu can appear...
    Funny, you are getting the same doubts I had when I first used Ubuntu. It's a windoze guy issue...lol
    Last edited by pinhodecarlos; 12-17-12 at 03:32 PM.

Friend of SETI.USA

Quote Originally Posted by pinhodecarlos View Post
    You need to pass the mouse cursor upper on the window so that the menu can appear...
    Funny, you are getting the same doubts I had when I first used Ubuntu. It's a windoze guy issue...lol
    I've used Ubuntu before, the Menu doesn't show up when passing the cursor on the upper window. About all that shows up is if I click on the upper window is a Menu to move the window, nothing else ... No problem, I went out to the garage for awhile & when I came back the Display was off.Nothing I did would bring it back up so I rebooted the PC back into Linux. To my surprise BOINC was no longer installed lol might be something to do with running it off the USB Stick. Anywoot I went back to Windoze, I just needed a little dose of reality on why I run Windows & not Linux ...

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by STE\/E View Post
    I've used Ubuntu before, the Menu doesn't show up when passing the cursor on the upper window. About all that shows up is if I click on the upper window is a Menu to move the window, nothing else ... No problem, I went out to the garage for awhile & when I came back the Display was off.Nothing I did would bring it back up so I rebooted the PC back into Linux. To my surprise BOINC was no longer installed lol might be something to do with running it off the USB Stick. Anywoot I went back to Windoze, I just needed a little dose of reality on why I run Windows & not Linux ...
    Ubuntu 12.04 insists on using Unity. They took the menu bar off of the application window and simply use a shared menu bar at the top of your display. Which-ever App is "On Top" is the App whose menu appears at the top of the display. Barring finding that, simply use the Oh-So-Obvious Ctrl-Shift-A to switch to Advanced mode.

If you didn't have Persistence enabled, the apps you installed would indeed go away with a reboot. Heck, even with Persistence on, a hard reset may leave the persistence file messed up and missing the most recent changes, although it shouldn't.

Also, as far as the display shutting down and not coming back, you can change the "Turn screen off after" setting under the System Settings->Power->Brightness settings. Doesn't explain why it wouldn't come back, but at least you can make it not go away in the first place. And you need to disable that if you're GPU crunching under Ubuntu anyways, just like under Windows.

Silver Member

Maybe after the NFS challenge I will try the 'Ubuntu on a stick' I have and see what it does on my Windows 8 machine that keeps hanging up at random times!

Reminds me WHY I like Unix over Windows.
    BOINC Sees it - BOINC DOES it!