Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PrimeGrid: Year of the Snake Challenge Annoucement

Diamond Member

PrimeGrid: Year of the Snake Challenge Annoucement

With the recent change to a larger short range for GFN and also the change of the year to the year of the Snake, PrimeGrid would like to invite everyone to participate in the first challenge of 2013!A 13 day challenge is being offered on the Generalized Fermat project with short work units. This is only the second challenge of its kind we're offering, and because the work units will grow too big for a challenge after this it's mighty likely there won't be another one. So have you always dreamed of finding a gigantic prime (top 15 for sure, maybe even top 10!), then this is your chance! Join us from January 4 2013, 18:00 UTC till January 17 2013, 18:00 UTC and see what's going on.For more information on this challenge, please read this thread on our forums and feel free to leave a comment or ask any questions you might have.

More...

Past Admin

Re: PrimeGrid: Year of the Snake Challenge Annoucement

Well, what do you guys think? Wanna give it a go? Pick up some badges along the way? Perhaps get a record Prime in the process?

Diamond Member

We need to start the year in our best shape. I say let's go on that challenge.
    Friends are like diamonds and diamonds are forever

Past Admin

Yub yub, Checked the poll and looks like we are in. I've placed in on the calendar.

From the PrimeGrid Forums

Taken from the PrimeGrid forums. http://www.primegrid.com/forum_thread.php?id=4760

A Cautionary Reminder

ATTENTION: The primality programs Genefx64 (CPU) and GeneferCUDA (GPU) are both computationally intensive; so, it is vital to have a stable system with good cooling. They do not tolerate "even the slightest of errors." Please see this post for more details on how you can "stress test" your CPU, and please see this post for tips on running GFN on your GPU successfully.

As with all number crunching, excessive heat can potentially cause permanent hardware failure. Please ensure your cooling system is sufficient.

If you have never run GeneferCUDA before, please read these tips. GeneferCUDA stresses a GPU more than any other program I've seen and is incredibly intolerant of overclocking. It is strongly suggested that you run at least one (Short) Work Unit before the challenge to make sure your computer can handle it. Note that "Overclocking" includes GPUs that come overclocked from the factory, and lowering clock rates to the reference speeds is sometimes necessary. In the case of one particular GPU, the GTX 550 Ti, lowering the memory clock below the reference speed is often necessary.

WU's will take ~12 hours on a GTX 580 GPU and about 2 to 3 days on the fastest CPU core. A GTX 680 will be slower than a GTX 580 for this application. On my computer (GTX 460 & C2D Q6600), which is more of an "average" computer and certainly not the fastest, a Work Unit takes about 24 hours on the GPU and 6 to 8 days on the CPU.

If your CPU is highly overclocked, please consider "stress testing" it. Overclocking your GPU not recommended at all for GeneferCUDA. Sieving is an excellent alternative for computers that are not able to run Genefer.

Please, please, please make sure your machines are up to the task.

Administrator
    They are not kidding. Run a wu or two before the start of the challenge and while you're around. The last time I ran them my 570s were pushing 98c at 100% fan when I finally shut it down. I have better air flow now, so that may have changed a bit for me. In any case, watch them while they're running.

Past Administrator

Well good thing its winter. The boxes in my garage will have little trouble keeping cool. OK, looks like I'm in.

@Carlos: I'll be back on NFS after this PG challenge.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Diamond Member
    I have a 580, a 590, and a 560 Ti dual card, and I will put them all on this challenge. But none of my CPUs, for this one.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Friend of SETI.USA

I'm Badge Hunting this Year so since I already have over 16 Million Credits for the GFN's & the Ruby Badge I'll sit it out, looking at the BOINCstats Upcoming Team Challenges there's waaaaaaaay to many to try to run them all & most conflict with other Challenges. I think some people are getting Challenge Happy by Posting so many to keep their Pet Project in the Forefront especially for the SETI Project ...
    Last edited by STE\/E; 12-31-12 at 02:48 AM.

Diamond Member

So....what are the best block size settings for 560 Ti and 580?
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    So....what are the best block size settings for 560 Ti and 580?
    Z - here's a post regarding block size. The gist, for the most part, is leave it at 0, the default.

http://www.primegrid.com/forum_thread.php?id=3982

I did have some screen lag on my personal system, so I lowered the Block Size to 6 (default 0=7 on Windows.) Seemed to take care of the lag. I'm running a few wus on each of my cards right now at stock clocks and voltages, with the memory downclocked from 1900 to 1200. Seems to be running pretty smooth and cool so far.
    Last edited by Al; 01-01-13 at 12:25 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast