Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Socket 2011 To Get A New Toy

Past Administrator

Re: Socket 2011 To Get A New Toy

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    AAAARRRGH!

And the 8-core haswell is 1.5 YEARS away?! WTF kind of announcement is that?!
    I agree. That's an "Intel has us by the you-know-whats and knows it" kind of announcement, that's what that is. Stupid, totally without excuse. If you look at a 6 core SB-e die, the 7th and 8th cores are simply "empty space" that could be usable cores. We know they could be, because on their XEONs they are! This is their "we're going to force you to buy 100% marked up XEONs" if you want real crunching power strategy.

And it's not like I'm being Mr. Sour Grapes here either. I'm not clamoring for a true 8 core enthusiast CPU immediately after they introduced the 6 core version. They've had how long between the SB-e release and the upcoming IB-e release? Enough time to roll out another Tick and another Tock! That's two mainstream cycles completed before they even did one cycle on their enthusiast lineup, and there's still at least 4 months to go before the small refresh that will be IB-e comes out! Yeah. Like they couldn't figure it out in that amount of time? Ridiculous.

...maybe they will change their mind, throw us a bone, and do something with the left-over SB-e XEONs now that they switched to IB-e and then are starting to do Haswell based XEONs. One can only hope.

Diamond Member

Any better ETA on the IB-E 6-core?
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    Any better ETA on the IB-E 6-core?
    September

Edit: after reading this depressing news today, i kinda had a "to hell with it" moment and immediately began searching for a dual Xeon board. But i also wanted overclocking and tons of PCIe slots, so of course my first thought was "time to buy an EVGA SR-X". Fail. You can't. They no longer exist, not even on Amazon and not even on eBay, used or otherwise. You can still buy SR-2s all day long, but no SR-X. Figured i could be happy for a few years with 2 of the cheapest (but recent) 6 core Xeons i could find, but no. Another bubble bursted lol
    Last edited by John P. Myers; 06-16-13 at 02:13 AM.

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    September

Edit: after reading this depressing news today, i kinda had a "to hell with it" moment and immediately began searching for a dual Xeon board. But i also wanted overclocking and tons of PCIe slots, so of course my first thought was "time to buy an EVGA SR-X". Fail. You can't. They no longer exist, not even on Amazon and not even on eBay, used or otherwise. You can still buy SR-2s all day long, but no SR-X. Figured i could be happy for a few years with 2 of the cheapest (but recent) 6 core Xeons i could find, but no. Another bubble bursted lol
    Hah! I was just about to look into dual xeon again, after having bought them many times...and ending up sad and frustrated. Thanks for saving me the work!
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Platinum Member

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123