Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Socket 2011 To Get A New Toy

Past Administrator

Re: Socket 2011 To Get A New Toy

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    What's the latest on this? I see a whole bunch of rumor/news about IB-E 6 core (3rd Q). Any more info on the higher-core IB-E versions? Or the 8-core SB-E?
    Before my latest hardware purchase, I did hours of reading and scouring the web for this stuff last week. All I could find is that Intel is bringing out (1) 4 core IB-e and (2) 6 core IB-e CPUs for socket 2011, and they are pushed back to Q4.
    Here is a page with some good info.

More than one tech "guru" seems to think Intel should (and may) skip IB-e and go straight to Haswell-e.
    That would be fine, excpet for the the fact that Haswell-e may or may not work with your current socket 2011 mobo. They may require a new chipset, so that compatability remains to be seen.

In my opinion, Intel is screwing over the high-end enthusiast segment of the market here. The XEON counterparts of this chip are slated for 15 cores and huge caches when this round of upgrades hit. And what do they give the "non XEON" socket 2011 lineup? A wimpy little MHz boost and that's it. If you want to read about what the XEON side is getting, a brief one is here.

So with all this uncertainty, I did not sell my AM3+ setup and go socket 2011 like I was thinking...

Platinum Member

What's the latest on this? I see a whole bunch of rumor/news about IB-E 6 core (3rd Q). Any more info on the higher-core IB-E versions? Or the 8-core SB-E?
    Intel changed their roadmap in such a way that it appears they will no longer release the 8-core SB-E since IB-E is so near and since they both use the same socket and chipset. No reason to release an 8-core CPU with a 200W TDP today, then release an 8-core CPU with a 150W TDP 3 months later that's 7-10% faster. They'd never sell many 8-core SB-Es and probably would end up taking a loss on that product line. There may have also been a problem with the original socket 2011 design on many boards, preventing them from being able to deliver enough juice to correctly run an 8-core SB-E, especially heavily overclocked. Many users may have found they had to upgrade their boards to high-end models and wouldn't bother, further hurting chip sales.

Yes IB-E is starting out by releasing a few 6-core CPUs. More cores would come later, but still unsure how much later. Also, Intel is showing signs of backtracking again. There may be no 12 core IB-E anymore. No 10 core either. It's looking like 8 is as good as it will get. So disappointing :/

Diamond Member

Thanks for the update guys.

So... Wait 6 months for IB-E 6 core? Or buy another 6 core SB-E?
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Past Administrator

...Wait 6 months for IB-E 6 core? Or buy another 6 core SB-E?
    Hmmm...how bad do you want the extra 6 cores? It's going to be at least Oct / Nov by the time we know what Intel's got up their sleeve from the sounds of it.
    Could you at least hold off until Haswell comes out, or do you need the extra power sooner? I think Intel may be forced to tip their hand a little once Haswell comes out for regular desktop socket, because the enthusiast level guys who went from socket 1366 to socket 2011 and paid the bucks - well, they're going to be chomping at the bit for info when their enthusiast level CPU is 2 generations behind the regular desktop!

I just think you might have a better idea of where they're headed and what your options are. That would mean waiting until late May or early June though I think. Unfortunate that there is no competition to put the squeeze on them in the high end.

Diamond Member

It is because of my smelly sockets that I use this mask. I use them since 2011.
    Friends are like diamonds and diamonds are forever

Diamond Member

Time to revisit this thread, now that haswell is out, and there is more info available.

Any news on IB-E 8-core? Or anything with more than 6 cores? If not, maybe time to just go with another SB-E 6-core?

Ugh, this is what happens when AMD is no longer competition.

Platinum Member

Other than continued speculation, not a word has been said either way :/

Platinum Member

And today we get some (bad?) news. The news is Intel has finally announced that there WILL be an 8-core CPU. The bad news is it's Haswell-E due out in Q3/4 next year. It will support 288-pin DDR4 though, and will NOT be compatible with current 2011 motherboards. Intel states this 8-core Haswell-E will be the first 8-core desktop processor offered by Intel, meaning they won't release an 8-core IB-E unless they change their mind, which they could/should. IMO they should still release an 8-core SB-E made from the old stock of Xeons they're trying to sell off to push a move to IB Xeons.

As much as AMD's CPUs suck, i'm having a hard time deciding which company has disappointed me more lately.

Edit: http://vr-zone.com/articles/intel-co...led/37832.html
    Last edited by John P. Myers; 06-15-13 at 01:18 PM.

Past Administrator

Seeing how I'm setting up a Socket 2011 system right this minute . . . that chaps my hide.

Diamond Member

AAAARRRGH!

And the 8-core haswell is 1.5 YEARS away?! WTF kind of announcement is that?!
    Last edited by zombie67; 06-15-13 at 11:02 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast