Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Projects won't Initialize ?

Diamond Member

Re: Projects won't Initialize ?

Very nice Steve, I hope things are getting on track to you.
    Friends are like diamonds and diamonds are forever

Friend of SETI.USA

Thanks everyone, I have to say I feel a lot better today compared to 2 days ago or even yesterday. The Stone Partials must have finally fully passed & that made everything else making me feel so bad settle down too ...

Draconian

Quote Originally Posted by STE\/E View Post
    Thanks everyone, I have to say I feel a lot better today compared to 2 days ago or even yesterday. The Stone Partials must have finally fully passed & that made everything else making me feel so bad settle down too ...
    Glad you are feeling better. Never had a stone - heard about them though...not good.
    Far as BOINC goes, I have had some similar experience where I had to run as administrator one time - even though I am an admin. See it a lot where I work with their crazy programs - GPO setting all kinds of wonky crap. Run as admin, poof. At least where I work, the problem is caused by the department that pushes the software - unfortunately, they can't spell SMS without being spotted....

Friend of SETI.USA

@#$%^&*&^%$#@! ... Damn, now another build won't Initialize the Projects, I've installed BOINC Thousands of times before & have never run into this problem. Even copying files from another BOINC Install didn't get it to work this time. I don't understand why when I do a Manual Update of a Project the BOINC Manager shows I put the call in but never actually makes the call. It will sit there for Hr's showing "update requested by user", I can connect to the Project thru the Manager & Attach the Projects so it's not that there's no Internet connection ... Really Weird
    Last edited by STE\/E; 01-13-13 at 04:51 PM.

Past Administrator

Not to be a pain but here are some things to try

First scan for viruses and then scan for malware.

Shut down BOINC. Navigate to where it is installed, right-click on boinc.exe and select properties. Next, click on the "compatibility" tab and add a check mark to the box for "Run as Administrator". Now restart BOINC. If this works then you have a permissions issue in Windows.

More Extreme...

Use Windows "Programs and Features" (Control Panel) to remove BOINC. Reboot into Safe Mode and run CCleaner to clear errant registry entries. Reboot into desktop and install an earlier version of BOINC, say 6.10.58. Make sure its the 64-bit version. Reboot again and attach to a project.

If this works then there is something wrong with the other BOINC installer. It might be corrupted or have some internal glitch in your copy.

Edit: DL 6.10.58 x64 from my Dropbox (Link)
    Last edited by Fire$torm; 01-13-13 at 04:56 PM.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Friend of SETI.USA

Thanks F$ but nada, whats happening shouldn't really even be happening but it is so somehow or way I'll have to figure it out ... The Installer I'm using worked on all the other rebuilds with no Problems so there's no reason it shouldn't work on the last 2. I even tried the New v7.0.44 that's out but get the same thing ... I checked the Certificate too & it says it's okay ...

I've asked about it over at the BOINC DEV Forum, I know Jord over there & he's pretty sharp about BOINC even if he's a little sharp tongued too ...
    Last edited by STE\/E; 01-13-13 at 06:54 PM.

Gold Member

It sounds like a network issue to me. I think BOINC has trouble sometimes if it doesn't like something about the network. Have you tried a Linux live cd. It wouldn't surprise me if it were a Windows networkism problem or the router not handling new connections to BOINC well. I don't think being able to browse the web is an indication of hosts being seen as unique outside the local network.

At work I've had problems with identical computers being seen as separate hosts. Networks can cause all kinds of weird stuff. Just something I would look into.

The network is one thing I think all your problem PC's would have in common.
    6r39 7r199

Friend of SETI.USA

Quote Originally Posted by trigggl View Post
    At work I've had problems with identical computers being seen as separate hosts. Networks can cause all kinds of weird stuff. Just something I would look into.

The network is one thing I think all your problem PC's would have in common.
    I've suspected the Network all along myself, I've been using a Wireless USB Stick from another box to do the 2 recent Box's & have had trouble with both, I have more New Wireless USB Sticks being delivered today so each Box has it's own Wireless USB Adapter. Anywoot I got it to work this morning, When I pulled the Adapter from the other Box & put it into the Non Working Box it installed something & told me to reboot so I did. Once rebooted the Projects Initialized & downloaded new work. The Adapter works on both Box's now too but won't have to with the new ones coming in ... Everything's running in STE\/E Land now so all's Kewl ... lol
    Last edited by STE\/E; 01-14-13 at 04:07 AM.

Gold Member

Way to go!!! Persistance pays off and if it don't just get a BIG Hammer!

RETIRED. NO JOB. NO MONEY. NO WORRIES!

Crunched SETI Classic to the end.

SETI@home classic workunits
    SETI@home classic CPU time 86,861 hours

Diamond Member

Big hammer? Like this one?

Friends are like diamonds and diamonds are forever

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast